PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Items, Fake Seller?

godwulf
01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Okay, this is a little unusual. Looking for some input on a slightly bizarre situation.

There's an eBay auction for a Baseball warmup jersey and a pair of uniform pants. The pants are easily identifiable as to player and year, but the jersey has no identifying tags, name, or anything else, though the Seller claims in the item description that it was worn by the same player who wore the pants. I don't collect a lot of pants, but I do really like the player, and the beginning bid price is only about fifty bucks.

Naturally, I wrote and asked the Seller how he knew who the jersey had been worn by, and he told me a story about being a player, himself, and having met the player in question through a guy who'd managed him on an independent league team - a team I happen to be very familar with, and I'm just about 100% certain this guy never played for them. He pointed out that if you click on his user name, you can see what appears to be a baseball card from that local team, showing him strapping on the catcher's gear. (I've been watching for memorabilia from this team for twelve years, and used to check out the souvenir stand every time I saw them play, and I never even knew anyone had produced a card set for the team.)

It gets better. The Seller also claims to have played in pro ball for 16 years, mostly in independent baseball in Canada and the U.S., but also in Japan and Mexico...also claims to have been in the farm systems of several clubs, and to have actually been called up to the Giants in '93 for one game, in which he didn't play.

Here's the thing: the man's name appears in none of the online Baseball references that I routinely use. His name appears on none of the rosters of the teams he claims to have played for. I even Googled his name, and all that came up were some online forum inquiries about him, with some people noting the same lack of data that I encountered, other people strongly objecting to anyone questioning the honesty or career of someone they knew as "a great player", other people claiming to be his relatives, and still others claiming that they were his real relatives and the other people were liars.

So...would you touch anything this guy had to sell with a 10-foot pole? He lives just one town over, so if I won the auction I'd probably ask to pick it up, rather than pay for shipping. Even without any kind of documents (or trustworthy word-of-mouth) on the jersey, I like the pants, and the jersey is pretty cool, too, even if it's just a store model. The guy has a 100% positive, 120-something feedback score. I'm almost tempted to go for it, just to get my hands on one of his cards (he offered to give me one), and meet this guy face to face.

Have you ever encountered somebody like this? It kind of reminds me of the guys who wear a bunch of medals and claim to be war heroes when they, in fact, never even served. It's just weird.

EurekaDave
01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Sounds like fun to me. I am sure everybody hear would like to hear about your adventure. Maybe you could post the card or a photo. It never ceases to amaze me the extent people will go to create en identity. I think it is an adrenaline rush for them. Check it out.

das1721@att.net

Preston
01-20-2013, 12:47 AM
There was a con artist who had a card shop that used to be in Nashville named Gary Fisher, who swears he pitched for the Yankees and Cardinals, yet he obviously never did. The guy ripped a few people off and skipped town, so it definitely happens.

godwulf
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't think this guy is ripping anyone off, as such. I have from other sources that he's lived in the same area for at least the past three or four years, and the stuff he has sold has all been small stuff - card sets, and the like. Plus, he doesn't advertise his "status" as an ex-ballplayer in the item descriptions; I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't inquired.

DJaeger22
01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
You could always take the picture from his ebay account in the catchers gear and run it through google images search to see if it hits any similar people.

godwulf
01-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Well, I won the auction and the Seller has graciously agreed to toss in one of his baseball cards, so we'll see how authentic that is when it arrives. (Sixty-two bucks, with shipping, and I'm more interested in the fake card than in the GU stuff. I am definitely getting weird in my old age.)

godwulf
01-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Well, I got the items, which are fine. I also received the promised card – which is very professionally produced (despite the absence of any sponsor’s or manufacturer’s name), and contains the most incredibly detailed player stat page that I’ve ever seen. The front shows The Player putting on his shin guards (he’s listed as a “1B/C”), wearing a batting helmet with a Padres logo. (I’ll have to double-check, but I don’t believe The Player’s “record” includes any stints with a San Diego affiliate, so maybe he’s just a fan.

Yes, I’m being deliberately cagey regarding The Player’s name, because I don’t want this thread to pop up in a Google search. I get the impression, from various sources, that he is the sort of guy who Googles himself frequently.

The back of the card states that The Player was “Sign [sic] out of high school as a free agent by the Chicago Cubs” in 1986. It then goes on to list an impressive number of teams that The Player claims to have played for between 1986 and 2000. I won’t bore anyone with a complete rundown, but the first few years are representative.

In 1986, The Player reportedly played 31 game for a team called (or located in) “San Manuel”. (There happens to be a high school team by that name here in Arizona, but they don’t seem ever to have been affiliated with the Chicago Cubs in any way.) The Player’s resume also lists his having played 17 games for the “Mesa Cubs”. This can only be a reference to the Arizona League Cubs, who play in Mesa, but who have only been doing so since 1997. The next entry is a 10 game stint with the Geneva Cubs, which did exist then, but not with The Player on their roster.

In 1987, The Player reportedly played another 8 games with the Mesa Cubs (who continued to labor under the handicap of not existing), 3 games for the Geneva Cubs (who, again, thoughtlessly left his name off all the rosters), and 68 games for a team called (or located in) “Sonora” – any record of which I’m unable to locate.

In 1988, The Player reportedly played 3 games for the Bellingham Mariners – though his name appears on no roster for that team, in that or any other year – and an impressive 120 games for a team in Tijuana. Assuming that this refers to the one in Mexico, I can find no record of any professional baseball team being located In the city of Tijuana or its environs in 1988.

1989: 14 games with the Pocatello Giants – not on the roster. Another 84 games with the clandestine Tijuana squad.

It goes on like that through the year 2000, with stops at two MLB teams (San Francisco in 1993 and Tampa Bay in 2000), and includes an entire season (1992) with the Samsung Dragons, visits of various durations to Phoenix, Hiroshima and Reno, and even a few series with the colorfully named Owls of Two Laredos.

The Player’s card also states that he was the “1993 Southwestern League All-Star Game MVP” and the “1993 Southwestern League MVP”. Again, impressive, since no professional baseball league, either affiliated or independent, seems to have called themselves the “Southwestern League” after 1957.

Hey, that was fun. :D

rdeversole
01-24-2013, 02:41 PM
This made me chuckle pretty good! Kudos on the research and on making me laugh.

DJaeger22
01-24-2013, 02:54 PM
You know... I think Manti Te'o has a girlfriend who played for some of those teams, should give her a call sometime.

godwulf
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I should have known something was off when the guy listed "Sidd Finch" as his favorite player while growing up.

http://www.bostonbaseball.com/whitesox/graphic/Finch.gif

gingi79
01-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I should have known something was off when the guy listed "Sidd Finch" as his favorite player while growing up.

Call George Plimpton. After a decade of being dead, I'm sure he'd love to write about this unsung master ballplayer

trsent
01-24-2013, 11:23 PM

That was a great story - Back when magazines mattered one of the best sports April Fools Jokes ever!