PDA

View Full Version : Manti Te'o - master of make believe?

Preston
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
This is unbelievable...reminds me of the guy on Seinfeld who faked having cancer, but only this is real...

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

frikativ54
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Shocking; it's disgusting what people will do for publicity. :mad:

gingi79
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
If he was involved, then I feel duped and angry. I was a huge fan of his. However, the girlfriend thing aside, Te'o also went to see a kid, one of his biggest fans, who was dying of Leukemia and spent time with him before he died. That is 100% factual. Does that sound like something a college kid on the National stage, in line for a huge NFL contract and a runner up for the Heisman would do? The cynic in me wonders if he did it to garner votes.

Except.... he didn't tell anyone about it. The kids parents did. At the time, he was a mildly known player in college football circles but unknown to sports fans who aren't embroiled in college players until draft time. Notre Dame wasn't a title contender at the time, let alone a #1 seed. This happened long before the perfect regular season and while it enhanced his Heisman credentials, he wasn't really considered a favorite until weeks after the story broke.

I am usually a pretty good judge of character and he just doesn't seem to be someone who would be involved with this. Do I think his loser friend did it? Sure. Was it a stupid joke that went to far? How much did Manti know and when?

He is a guy whose religious beliefs shape his persona. That means this isn't just a small mistake, it's a glaring character assassination that would show him to be a lying, manipulative fraud. In other words, if he isn't just a victim who was duped and actually played a part in this farce? It WILL cost him millions of dollars and could even jeopardize his NFL career

genius
01-16-2013, 09:25 PM
He brought up his girlfriend's "family" a bit too often for me to believe this was just an online relationship and he was duped. I'd love to know how get got so cozy with her family when he never even met her.

I also wonder just unusual this is. Today's media is so flattery and personality driven that few would even think to check a story like this one. All they want to do is fawn over the most famous players and speak breathlessly about them during broadcasts, and ensure that they continue to have their access.

nevrdiez34
01-19-2013, 10:17 AM
A lot more has come out since the initial story broke. I for one believe Monti, and the others that were also duped by Tuiasosopo, and am glad I didn't rush to judge him like so many others did.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8859077/manti-teo-notre-dame-fighting-irish-denies-being-part-hoax-late-girlfriend

swainer
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I think the kid got duped, perpetuated and embellished the lie, it snowballed out of control and he was hoping it would blow over. Poor decisions but doesn't appear he was involved. I'm hoping his performance in the title game was more a product of this weighing heavy on his mind and not because he's not an elite talent. I wanted the Lions yo take him at 5. Now I hope he slips to them in the 2nd round. I know that's wishful thinking.

BULBUS
01-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Crying Game

JDubbs73
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
This story is getting stranger by the day...

otismalibu
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
The one I really feel bad for is Manti & Lennay's young son.

chakes89
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
No more Man on Manti action. lol

both-teams-played-hard
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Worth a few minutes of laughs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ffHd7O3yQ