PDA

View Full Version : What else do you collect?

cubbs1232
01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I was curious if anyone collected anything else besides sports items?

Lately ive been looking at getting into movie worn (i guess its called screen worn) collecting and when i was little I collected coins, which i still continue doing just not as much.

So how about you?

Shipp_96
01-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Being an artist, and an introverted kid who read comic books I also collect action figures. Not hardcore like I used to in college, but I still buy them as something to keep me busy in between game worn items from time to time. I mostly collect comic book themed or now a days the movie version of the characters associated with the films.

OaklandAsFan
01-12-2013, 11:05 PM
I collect baseball cards and have close to 400 thousand cards
I also have some screen worn items
and I also collect cars. My wife and I have a 1971 Mach 1,a 1989 Thunderbird Supercoupe, a 2002 Mustang GT, and 2010 Nissan GTR, and 2011 Chevy Suburban, a 2011 Suzuki Hayabusa, 2011 Ford Raptor that I sent to Hennessey for their 600HP supercharged package. a 2012 Mustang Shelby GT500 and a 2013 Polars rZr that was custom built by Dragonfire

cubbs1232
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
and I also collect cars. My wife and I have a 1971 Mach 1,a 1989 Thunderbird Supercoupe, a 2002 Mustang GT, and 2010 Nissan GTR, and 2011 Chevy Suburban, a 2011 Suzuki Hayabusa, 2011 Ford Raptor that I sent to Hennessey for their 600HP supercharged package. a 2012 Mustang Shelby GT500 and a 2013 Polars rZr that was custom built by Dragonfire

wow a mach 1, those things are sick

Steelers25
01-12-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm also a horror nut, specifically Friday the 13th, and collect custom made screen accurate hockey masks that I bring to various horror conventions to get signed by the men behind the mask. Actually goin to a show in march to meet a few "Jason's" and the cast of The Walking Dead.

beaglegypsy003
01-13-2013, 12:09 AM
I have over 800 football cards of University of Hawaii alumni players including certified autographs from the card companies. I also collect certified autographs of players who played against Hawaii. These cards have to show them in their college uniforms. My collection includes Steve Young; Jim McMahon; Marshall Faulk; LaDainian Tomlinson; Ben Roethlisberger; and Tim Tebow.

I also have a small movie memorabilia collection:
Vest worn by one of the Cleaners in Underworld 2. The actor use to play in the Canadian Football League
Helmet and shield from First Knight
Helmet from We Were Soldiers
Shane Falco jersey worn by Keanu Reeves in The Replacements (screen match with dirt stains)
Vest from A Knights Tale
Permian football jersey #4 Chavez with Captains C from the movie Friday Night Lights

godwulf
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Game-used is my primary love and what I do most actively, but I also collect other Baseball stuff - cards, photos, posters, etc. I was into collecting old Baseball medals for awhile, and accumulated enough to fill a large shadow box, but I sort of lost interest in that.

I also collect movie and t.v. props, whenever something strikes my fancy and I happen to have the money to buy it simultaneously. Some sports-related, some not.

I also continue to collect certain comics, a hobby that goes back fifty years for me. Awhile back, I took my copies of the first issues of the Avengers and X-Men in to show a friend who owns a comic store, and one of his employees asked how much I'd paid for them; I told him, "Twelve cents". (Not everybody's mom tossed their comics when they left home.)

beaglegypsy003
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
My other collecting interest are non-sport autographs from the card companies. My collection includes:
Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider)
Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
Tobey Macguire (Spiderman)
All nine actors that made up the Fellowship of the Ring from Lord of the Rings
Charlton Heston (Planet if the Apes)
James Earl Jones (Star Wars)
Several actors from The Walking Dead including Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus
Kate Austen and Yunjin Kim from Lost
Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man)
Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart (X-Men)

I also collect Macfarlane football pieces to customize into Hawaii players. Some of the ones I recently made are posted in Show Me Your NFL.

emst51
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Besides collecting game used items, I like going to Victory Field and getting Autographs from the Gwinnett Braves when they are in town. Ive gotten Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, Cory Gearin and Jose Constanzas autographs there. Plus i like trying my luck at MAjor League games too. I usually get 8x10s and oml balls signed.

Im also trying to collect autographs from the cast member from M*A*S*H. I also collect guns and some old WWII era German coins. Ive got serval Kyle Busch cars autographed a few hats and pictures and some sheetmetal .

Im currenlty starting to collect coin script that the Stearns Coal and Lumber company paid theyre Employees. My great grand fathers worked there so I think thats a neat thing to collect. Ive got a few signed cds and then ive got my racecar so im always looking for somthing it keeps me busy.

frikativ54
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I collect baseball heavily, but I definitely indulge my obsession with squirrels. :D I have a huge collection of squirrel photographs, many stuffed animals and puppets, figurines, sculptures - you name it. My favorite piece is my 20.5 inch high ceramic squirrel sculpture, which I got my Mom to buy for me for my college graduation:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Sassy-SBN.jpg

My other favorite is this one:

http://www.artfulceramics.com/squirrels_files/2SuirrelsOnLgAcorn%2017Hx17Wx%2010D.jpg

I got the latter sculpture this past fall and enjoy it immensely. These two pieces rival my baseball memorabilia as my favorite things I own.

I even have a plush tree for all of my stuffed animals, but it's in storage, as I currently have no place to display it. :p

I also have a ton of books and have dabbled in political memorabilia and Americana.

momen55
01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
petroliana; oil/gas cans, old gas pumps and signs, etc. big bucks in this stuff.

godwulf
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
petroliana; oil/gas cans, old gas pumps and signs, etc. big bucks in this stuff.

When I was cleaning out my parent's house, following my mother's death, I came across a couple of old gas credit cards from the '50s or early '60s, from companies that no longer exist. I put them on eBay and was surprised at what they sold for. There's definitely somebody (or a lot of somebodys) out there collecting just about anything you can imagine.

sylbry
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

I had an 89 T-bird SC with a 5 speed in high school. That was such a great car to drive. Would buy one again as a daily driver in a heartbeat.

Around that same time my dad brought home a 1971 Mach 1 with a four speed. Drove it once and never did again. Didn't care for driving it. The visibility was awful. Between the weight of the car, the power of the car's engine (which was far from stock), and the small stock tires, the thing never hooked up. Still the longest burnout I've ever seen though.

Then again when your choice is to either drive a 1971 Mach 1 or a 1970 Olds 442 convert, there really isn't much to think about.:)

70to66
01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Old advertising sign's and thermometers gas, oil, soda. I also have a 1969 Mach 1 mustang so I'm into old cars.

sox83cubs84
01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Political oriented bumper stickers, T-Shirts, and other items with a conservative theme.

Dave Miedema

NEFAN
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Being an artist, and an introverted kid who read comic books I also collect action figures. Not hardcore like I used to in college, but I still buy them as something to keep me busy in between game worn items from time to time. I mostly collect comic book themed or now a days the movie version of the characters associated with the films.

Hey Shipp, tried to PM you but not allowed. I have a bunch of Action figures I am trying to sell cheap. If interested shoot me an email at ksstewart12@verizon.net and I'll send you a list.

Shipp_96
01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Hey Shipp, tried to PM you but not allowed. I have a bunch of Action figures I am trying to sell cheap. If interested shoot me an email at ksstewart12@verizon.net and I'll send you a list.

I sent you an email, defiantly interested in seeing what you have. Thanks!

frikativ54
01-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I sent you an email, defiantly interested in seeing what you have. Thanks!

:D :p :eek:

dineen6
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Before Collecting Baseball Jerseys, I collected Hockey Jerseys (about 150 of them, mostly from the minor leagues ) and Hockey Card autographs (last time I counted, the collection was over 9,500).

Then I started collecting baseball jerseys (I am around 125 of them) and some movie worn jerseys. I have the two big guards (Jackson and ? ) and the safety (Smith) from The Replacements, Lance Harbor jersey from Varisity Blues, Billy Cole from The Last Boy Scout, and Billy Heyward, Timothy Busfield character and the Jonathan Silverman character jerseys from Little Big League.

I am now collecting saddle cloths and stakes blankets from horse racing. I have over 40 saddle cloths and 3 stakes blankets. Also, I guess I am collecting horses. I own approximately 9 horses with 3 different partnership groups.

I like to tell people my biggest collection are my losing betting tickets from track :D

Be Careful Out There...................

zonker
01-16-2013, 05:59 PM
momen55 i pm'd you about a question i have for you. lmk thanks

64SHEA
01-18-2013, 12:52 AM
I have a small baseball card collection, mostly signed and game used cards. I have a year book from almost every Mets season. I have collected a good number of WWE signatures on my two championship belts. I also have a coin collection mostly of US silver proof sets and Australian gold coins.

MarinersFan34
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I collect Mariners primarily, so anything that has to do with the team, I like. I have thousands of M's cards and I also collect autographs, 8x10 photos, posters, magazines, team yearbooks, calendars, media guides, etc.

I've started to collect certified celebrity autos, mostly the ones on trading cards. Also some of the 1/1 sketch cards from various products.

I too made the splash into the movie worn memorabilia last year, the first 2 purchases were sports related movies but I'll branch out to other genres later this year.

godwulf
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I have collected a good number of WWE signatures on my two championship belts.

I've not really done any collecting in the pro wrestling area, but I think it would be fascinating and great fun to do so. If I ever had the time and funds to get into something like that, I would focus on the older - maybe '70s and earlier - wrestlers. The ones I remember watching on t.v. when I was a kid: Wilbur Snyder (would any pro wrestler today even be given a shot with a name like "Wilbur"?), Dick the Bruiser, Ernie Ladd, Prince Pullins, Mad Dog Vachon, those guys. I'd guess that it would be next to impossible to find genuine, authenticated "ring-worn" memorabilia from those guys, but it would be a lot of fun to try. (I cringed when the Mickey Rourke character in The Wrestler threw his bloody, torn wrestling costume into the hospital room trash. You know somebody, in real life, must have fished it out!)

Speaking of The Wrestler, that haunting scene of Randy and the other old wrestlers - canes, walkers, colostomy bags and all - sitting at tables waiting for somebody to pay a few bucks for a photo or autograph - incredibly sad. One would hope that life hasn't treated all the old pros so shabbily.

Are those replica belts, by the way? I'm sort of assuming that if they were somebody's actual belts, you wouldn't be getting other wrestlers to sign them.

64SHEA
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm only 22 so I haven't seen most of those guys. WWE did have an auction site where they would auction ring used item but they closed it two years ago for some reason. The belts are about as close to the real thing as you can get without spendiing $3000. http://www.ajsbelts.com/beltpagprogradenew.htm

godwulf
01-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Those are some beautiful belts. I wonder how often the real thing comes on the market, either pro wrestling or boxing. I think I remember reading that Leon Spinks sold all his "hardware" years ago. I'll bet a lot of the really old belts are stuck up in somebody's attic or in a storage locker somewhere.