PDA

View Full Version : John Elway Game Used Jersey

capnsteve2
01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Hey everyone, thank you for reading this post. One of my good friends recently purchased a John Elway Game Used jersey jersey (he also bought the Kobe...this is one of two posts I made about these jerseys). Does anyone have any insight into this? If it is not real, he has the opportunity to return it for a full refund. If it is, he made a heck of a buy. This jersey is a size 48; however, recently a "game used" Elway sold on eBay that was a size 44, so he is not sure about it now.

If more specific pictures are needed of any area please let me know and thank you for your comments in advance.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/capnsteve2/Autograph%20Opinions%20Comparisons/elway4.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/capnsteve2/Autograph%20Opinions%20Comparisons/elway3.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/capnsteve2/Autograph%20Opinions%20Comparisons/elway2.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/capnsteve2/Autograph%20Opinions%20Comparisons/elway5.jpg

capnsteve2
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Too close to call?

solarlottry
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
What is the date code (the two letters below the size)? After looking at 49er and other Wilson game worn jerseys which were worn after 1988 when date coding began, that the jerseys with the date code on the same tag as the size have been retail shirts.

This is just my own theory and other board members should chime in as I cannot remember this exact issue ever being discussed specifically. After examining multiple 49er and Raider gamers it seems as if every legit gamer with the date code has had the code on a separate flag tag. I have also seen quite a few shirts with the date code on the same tag as the size and I have yet to characterize any of those shirts as game used.

Again this is just my own theory based on the limited observation of only two NFL teams gamers. I welcome any other board members thoughts on this issue. We see many jerseys characterized as "game used" in multiple auctions with the date code on the size flag tag and I have always been hesitant to bid on them. If anyone can clear this issue up that would be great.

Always buying 49er game worn items and ALL 49er 1994 gamers! Paying a nice finders fee for info that leads to a sale.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

capnsteve2
01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
What is the date code (the two letters below the size)? After looking at 49er and other Wilson game worn jerseys which were worn after 1988 when date coding began, that the jerseys with the date code on the same tag as the size have been retail shirts.

This is just my own theory and other board members should chime in as I cannot remember this exact issue ever being discussed specifically. After examining multiple 49er and Raider gamers it seems as if every legit gamer with the date code has had the code on a separate flag tag. I have also seen quite a few shirts with the date code on the same tag as the size and I have yet to characterize any of those shirts as game used.

Again this is just my own theory based on the limited observation of only two NFL teams gamers. I welcome any other board members thoughts on this issue. We see many jerseys characterized as "game used" in multiple auctions with the date code on the size flag tag and I have always been hesitant to bid on them. If anyone can clear this issue up that would be great.

Always buying 49er game worn items and ALL 49er 1994 gamers! Paying a nice finders fee for info that leads to a sale.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Hi Paul,

Underneath the numbers "EV", on the tag behind it, there is EU - 2.

solarlottry
01-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Interesting that there are two date code flag tags. Is the second one directly behind the first?

The date code of EW corresponds to a jersey made for the 1992 season as the first letter indicates the year and the second the month. Wilson started using the date code system in 1988 with an A to indicate 1988, B for 1989, C for 1990, D for 1991, E for 1992, F for 1993 and G for 1994. I have not seen many Wilson football gamers with G and none with an H.

The second letter indicates the month the shirt was made and I believe that the letter T was the first letter used. I have the chart somewhere of what month each second letter corresponds to but don't remember offhand.

If you want to do more research into the jersey then check getty images of Elway for 1992. The shirt itself does not look like it has much use but images of the back of the jersey would be helpful.

Paul