PDA

View Full Version : Crime Deterrent Bat Numbering - Soriano Bat

allstarsplus
10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Saw this on eBay and at 1st glance I liked the tape job, barrel markings, and that it was a blonde LS (not his typical SAM, but OK)---then I saw the pine tar which didn't look like a typical pine tar application by AS and then on the knob it had #13----problem is Alfonso was #12 with the Nationals. Robin Fick was #13.

Here is the seller's explanation:

Before all of you experts start emailing me to let me know that Soriano's uniform number is 12, I would like to point out that many star players often put a different number on their equipment to keep it from being stolen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfonso-Soriano-...QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfonso-Soriano-Game-Used-Louisville-Slugger-S362-Bat_W0QQitemZ110049866458QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60596Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I have handled dozens of Alfonso's game used bats and they all have the exact black sharpie 12 on the knob except for one which is a Texas Rangers Soriano LS bat and has a different jersey # on it too, and I never thought of the "alternate # theory" to keep it from being stolen.
Forum: Current Auction Items (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6) Post New Thread

cjclong
10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I suppose Soriano might use something other than a Sam Bat occasionally, but why would he put the correct number on all his Sam Bats and then a bogus number on a different model bat "to keep it from being stolen." Does he not care if his regular model Sam Bats are stolen? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

nate
10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
The bat was used by Fick. The only reason to change the number on the knob is if someone else is using it. I know of a player that changed the name on his bat to his fathers nickname. Who would risk their job to steal a bat?

suave1477
10-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Is it possible that it wasnt used by Soriano? and that it may have been used by another player, if you have a bat with a different number on it there is a good possibility a teamate was using that bat or someone else comppletely was using that bat and numbered it to remoind them selves that they were using that bat

We have discussed it many many times on this forum how bats are / have / and can be used by other players then the name on the bat.

We have seen Pujols use a Tino Martinez bat
I have seen Melky Cabrera use a Miguel Tejada bat
I have seen ARod use a Jorge Posada bat

and I am sure there are tons more out there, so think about it when these players use someone elses bat I am sure they are going to put there own number on the bat to identify they were using it.

kingjammy24
10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
i've heard that mattingly used to do something similar to prevent the theft of his bats. also, i know bo jackson would sometimes mark his bat knobs with something other than "16" to stop theft. if you'll look through enough photos of bo playing for the royals, you'll pick up on how he'd mark them.

of course the issue then becomes discerning whether an incorrect number on the knob is due to this reason or because it really was used by another player.

i'd think only the superstars would really have concerns about substantial theft of their bats - bonds, arod, pujols. i think if you saw an incorrect number on a horacio ramirez bat, then it's likely not due to him trying to prevent theft.

rudy.

Yankwood
10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
The bat was used by Fick. The only reason to change the number on the knob is if someone else is using it. I know of a player that changed the name on his bat to his fathers nickname. Who would risk their job to steal a bat?Ruben Rivera

sylbry
10-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Not to go off on a tangent but Bo would normally write either his number, "BO", or simply have a dot on the knob of his bats.

kingjammy24
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
re: bo's bats. i may be wrong but i believe the dot was used to prevent theft. one of those things you hear through the grapevine.

rudy.

Yankwood
10-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Not to go off on a tangent but Bo would normally write either his number, "BO", or simply have a dot on the knob of his bats.Now see, I heard that BO simply meant B.O. meaning that the user of the bat had B.O. which might deter someone else from wanting to use it.

allstarsplus
10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Anybody want to buy #15 Soriano game used bat? I will let it go for only $150!!!!!!

http://members.aol.com:/allstarsplus/soriano_15.jpg

Drasher99
11-01-2006, 12:12 AM
As stated Don Mattingly did label his bats so they wouldnt be stolen, he would often use the numbers of former retired Yankee greats, such as 7,5,4,3....ect.

GrndSlm
11-01-2006, 12:58 AM
I would have to agree with Andrew on this......Soriano will always prepare his bats before using them in a game. He writes his number as soon as the box is open. Then applies the custom tape job and the first application of pine tar. I have seen his bats lined up in his locker with no use but the tape, number and a light coat of pine tar already applied. Those are the bats that he takes to the dugout and uses in a game or different models for BP.

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

allstarsplus
11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
As stated Don Mattingly did label his bats so they wouldnt be stolen, he would often use the numbers of former retired Yankee greats, such as 7,5,4,3....ect.
Exactly, you generally wouldn't use a number of another player currently on the roster, and not the jersey #13 of your back-up catcher.