PDA

View Full Version : Buying ebay items from another country??

GameUsedGR61
12-28-2012, 12:39 PM
One of my friends was interested in buying a game used jersey on ebay that cost exactly $317 (includes shipping). The person who owns the jersey is from Uruguay. He is worried though about a warning that stated international items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. I wasn't able to help him with this because my only experience is selling a game worn to someone in Canada and filling out a customs sheet where I declared it as a gift and gave it a value.

1) Can some explain exactly what that means?
2) What would be an estimate on how much he would have to pay? Would it be a lot or a little?
3) Would these charges only be for certain types of items?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you:confused:

genius
12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
That guy from Uruguay has some incredible jerseys! Most obtained from players, since soccer players have long been exchanging jerseys after games especially international competitions.

The sender will have to declare the value of the jersey on his customs form and then you might have to pay customs on $319. It wouldn't be a very big percentage, maybe 10%. I've bought a few jerseys from the UK and never had to pay customs on them.

I'm sorry I don't have more concrete info though!

GameUsedGR61
12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
in other words, where would he pay the extra amount of money owed?

at the post office? or is it kind of like a COD like once the mailman delivers it?

jppopma
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I've ordered plenty of items from other countries and have never had to pay any customs surcharges. Maybe it depends on how and who it is shipped through.

I have heard some horror stories with certain carriers charging fees to "cover" customs paperwork and other random reasons. There have also been some collectors who get hit with unexpected fees because some customs "know it all" declared the value to be some outrageous amount.

If it sent USPS, you would receive a slip in your mail notifying you that your package is available for pick up at the post office. It would include an amount that needed to be paid; same as when someone sends an item with insufficient postage.

Sorry there are no real solid answers as it appears to be hit and miss about when customs may get involved.