PDA

View Full Version : 94 seau throwback on ebay

Eric
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Hello everyone
I have received a few emails asking my opinion on a chargers throwback jersey on ebay. Here's what I can tell you.

On ebey is the following listing GAME WORN POWDER 1994 SEAU CHARGERS JERSEY
http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-WORN-POWDER-1994-SEAU-CHARGERS-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ260045701252QQihZ016QQcategoryZ868 29QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Here are two photos

I wrote the seller to let him know that of the 14 chargers throwbacks I have from 1994, NONE of them have the year tag.
His first response was "I DONT KNOW WHY. ALL I CAN TELL YOU THESE JERSEYS WERE GIVEN TO ME BY THE EQUIPMENT MANAGER IN THE LOCKER ROOM AT JACK MURPHY STADIUM." I followed up with more questions, to which he responded "ARE YOU BORED AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO?"
I guess the one thing better that I have to do is let people know that the jersey being sold doesn't match the 14 others I have seen.
Eric

mchmaj
10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
eric,
what about the white and navy seau jerseys he is selling also ???
i have noticed he relisted them three times already ..

let me know
marcus

Eric
10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I can't say without looking at it in person. I have an opinion on his stuff, but I can't post the details because I can't see the factual evidence.

I can tell you my experience with the seller- long ago I purchased a #6 Benirschke Chargers jersey described as "game used." After I received it, I was not happy with it. It did not match the item description at all. I returned it for a refund after much back and forth and being cursed at, which is always fun.

After that. the seller listed "game used" sand knit football jerseys from many different teams, all #6. There have been at least a dozen of them. I have been told by those who worked in sporting goods stores that back in the day when sand knit would send samples to sporting goods stores, they would send various teams' jerseys with the number representing the year. #6 jerseys weere sent out in '86 and so on. I asked the seller if any of this was the case and he denied it.

Sorry if that didn't answer the question, but it's something that has influenced my decision on whether to deal with the seller.

Eric

LHG39
10-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Actually, I think you conveyed all of the information necessary for one to form a very reaonable opinion.

Eric
10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
The current high bidder has a nice collection of game issued jerseys. Perhaps he will add this to his game cut collection of
DREW BREES AUTOGRAPHED HOME JERSEY

MATT HASSELBECK AUTOGRAPHED HOME JERSEY

TAKEO SPIKES SIGNED HOME AUTOGRAPHED JERSEY

DENNIS NORTHCUTT AUTOGRAPHED ROAD JERSEY

Chad Johnson signed authentic Bengals jersey

OSI UMENYIORA 2006 game issued back Pro Bowl jersey

Troy Polamalu signed authentic Steelers away jersey

CURTIS MARTIN UN GAME USED WORN 2005 PRO BOWL JERSEY

and he was outbid on these game cuts

JAMES FARRIOR SIGNED GAME CUT JERSEY

AHMAN GREEN PACKERS JERSEY

Game Issue Authentic Chicago Bears 52 Jersey Bryan Cox

It's interesting to see what people collect.
Eric

hblakewolf
10-30-2006, 02:21 PM
The current high bidder has a nice collection of game issued jerseys. Perhaps he will add this to his game cut collection of
DREW BREES AUTOGRAPHED HOME JERSEY

MATT HASSELBECK AUTOGRAPHED HOME JERSEY

TAKEO SPIKES SIGNED HOME AUTOGRAPHED JERSEY

DENNIS NORTHCUTT AUTOGRAPHED ROAD JERSEY

Chad Johnson signed authentic Bengals jersey

OSI UMENYIORA 2006 game issued back Pro Bowl jersey

Troy Polamalu signed authentic Steelers away jersey

CURTIS MARTIN UN GAME USED WORN 2005 PRO BOWL JERSEY

and he was outbid on these game cuts

JAMES FARRIOR SIGNED GAME CUT JERSEY

AHMAN GREEN PACKERS JERSEY

Game Issue Authentic Chicago Bears 52 Jersey Bryan Cox

It's interesting to see what people collect.
Eric

Eric-
There are thousands of Ebay bidders and quite a few collectors here who collect game worn/game cut jerseys. What's your point with this recent post? :confused:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Eric
10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
No point. I just sometimes notice what people collect.

A forum reader offered up this information about the Seau jersey.

"The "94" year tag is not even Russell issued, it is from a Starter jersey or pants....I have never seen a 1994 throwback with a year tag, but if some chance that it did have one, it would look like a Rusell year tag from a baseball jersey."

Eric

Nilbog
10-31-2006, 12:37 AM
It was my understanding that Russell did indeed make these throwbacks. Starter made the regular home and away but Russell made the throwbacks. Same situation with the Minnesota Vikings from 1994.

Thanks for the info/concerns Eric. i was tempted to bid on the Seau last month when he had it listed. I asked if there was a BIN price for it and he said someone had already offered him 5k for it. I guess that transaction wasn't completed.

If anyone has this style (white or powder blue 94 throwback)jersey for sale please contact me. It doesn't matter the player, I just want the style. I don't think i could pay for a Seau gamer though. lol

Eric
01-19-2007, 04:25 PM
This incorrectly tagged item has been re-listed.
I pointed out to the seller how the year tag is not seen on Chargers throwback gamers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-WORN-POWDER-1994-SEAU-CHARGERS-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ260078032941QQihZ016QQcategoryZ868 29QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Eric

lon lewis
01-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Eric, since you're better at charger items than I am, I was curious to see how you think this jersey compares to the one shown on getty image # 355913 dated 10/9/94 chargers vs chiefs. It appears to me in this photo that the front #'s are lower in relation to the seam where the front panel meets the shoulder yoke than on the ebay jersey.

Eric
01-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll check it out. If memory recalls, there were great photos from that game in that week's Sports Illustrated (with Natrone Means on the cover)

Eric
01-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Hard to say without seeing it up close- but in another photo of a player in that game, it certainly looks like the numbers are higher and the 75th patch is higher than the one on ebay

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71692178.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB4597120C79AA7245

chris13
01-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm by no means claim to be an expert at photo matching (yet - I hope), but aren't the bolts on the sleeves different between the Getty images and the item listed. It looks like the jags in the bolts - for a lack of better term - are the opposite of what they should be.

Eric
01-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Terrific observation

Here's Seau's bolts and the jersey being offered.

chris13
01-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Eric:

Is a 52 the correct size for Seau during his years at SD? My first experience in collecting was a "Game Used" jersey of Seau but it's a size 50 from 2001. I also have a dolphins jersey of Seau from 04 that is a 46.

Seau has always been my favorite player and I consider a game used powder blue my holy grail...too bad this isn't it...

On a side note if you would ever look to get rid of some of your chargers stuff, I'd love to take a look.

Eric
01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Chris

Email me at ecky3@aol.com with a list of what you're looking for and maybe we can set up something. Perhaps a trade?
I'll check the sizes of the seaus in my collection and post later.
I have a 1998 pro bowl jersey which came from a topps contest which is a 52 but tailored.
I have a Dolphins practice jersey which came from the NFL which is a 54.
I have some other examples too in the ol' closet.
Eric

Eric
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
The seller has ignored my emails pointing out the problems with the tagging and the screened on bolts. This item is now up to 20 bids and $455.

According to the new ebay bidding system there have been 20 bids, you can't see who is bidding, but it has been 7 different people.

It's up to $455