PDA

View Full Version : How many road jerseys does a player have?

EricTheRed44
12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Hello all,

I recently purchased an Eric Davis road jersey from 2001. I was curious, how many road jersey's does a player typically have through a season. I realize the # varies, but I was wondering if anyone knows the usual #.

Thanks and happy holidays
Joe

EricTheRed44
12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I read somewhere two road jerseys and two home jerseys and 4 sets of pants. Wasnt sure if this is custom or not.

justinwc80
12-18-2012, 08:30 PM
This can vary greatly. Some players order over 20 jerseys of each jersey type. Some don't and only get what the team orders. Dave M may be able to she'd light on certain players.

sox83cubs84
12-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Pre-1987, it was ususally 2 or 3 of each style. However, since then, more sets can exist, particularly for stars or popular players. Multiple set 1s and set 2s of Rawlings jerseys (1987-2002) can exist, as the set 1 or set 2 ID reflects when the jersey was ordered (original order or during the season), not a set number as we generally think of it. So, theoretically, a player could have 6 jerseys supplied to him at the beginning of the season, and they'd all be set 1, as far as Rawlings flag tags go.

With Majestic, I've seen flag tags that go up to set 9 (Tom Glavine) and numerous set E's (extras), especially from the Mets, and as high as a set 20 on strip tagged gamers (Vernon Wells of Toronto). Of course, the plethora of sets doesn't guarantee a specific number of them being worn. The White Sox had something like 14 sets of Ross Gload 2005 jerseys at the 2006 SoxFest, and Gload only appeared in the MLB uniform after roster expansion in September...he was not part of the postseason roster.

Dave Miedema

EricTheRed44
12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully someday I can manage to land a photo that can match the jersey, most likely not... but you never know. Have a great Christmas and holidays fella's. I appreciate the help.

Joe

jppopma
12-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Pre-1987, it was ususally 2 or 3 of each style. However, since then, more sets can exist, particularly for stars or popular players. Multiple set 1s and set 2s of Rawlings jerseys (1987-2002) can exist, as the set 1 or set 2 ID reflects when the jersey was ordered (original order or during the season), not a set number as we generally think of it. So, theoretically, a player could have 6 jerseys supplied to him at the beginning of the season, and they'd all be set 1, as far as Rawlings flag tags go.

With Majestic, I've seen flag tags that go up to set 9 (Tom Glavine) and numerous set E's (extras), especially from the Mets, and as high as a set 20 on strip tagged gamers (Vernon Wells of Toronto). Of course, the plethora of sets doesn't guarantee a specific number of them being worn. The White Sox had something like 14 sets of Ross Gload 2005 jerseys at the 2006 SoxFest, and Gload only appeared in the MLB uniform after roster expansion in September...he was not part of the postseason roster.

Dave Miedema

Dave, I've never thought of it in terms of a set being based on the team order. Therefore could the set 14 Gload mean that it was from the 14th order placed by Majestic to the White Sox? If the Sox had Majestic do the customizing, they may have ordered player's jerseys as they were needed for players coming up or replacements. So there could be set 1 (full team), set 2 (full team), then set 3-14 (any number of jerseys as needed)? Could be an interesting possibility to these random set numbers.

xpress34
12-20-2012, 01:09 AM
There are (as stated by others) special player orders as well.

A good example is what Nolan Ryan did in 1993 after announcing it would be his last season.

Nolan had 34 Jerseys made - 18 home and 16 road - for the number of games he expected he would start.

They are each individually numbered in the tail tagging - 1/18, 2/18, etc and 1/16, 2/16, etc.

I'm not certain this is unique to Ryan, just what he did. However the arm injury he suffered in 1993 also kept him from making all of those starts, so not every jersey was actually Game Used.

That said, the Colorado Rockies have never used 'set' numbers, so there is no telling how many jerseys Helton, Tulo, Walker, etc have had over the years.

- Smitty

EricTheRed44
12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Is there any way to find out how many Eric Davis jerseys were made each year (2001 in this case) as you seem to know with the Ryan?

I know he didnt play a lot, so I'm hoping he didnt have a great # of jersey's.

sox83cubs84
12-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Dave, I've never thought of it in terms of a set being based on the team order. Therefore could the set 14 Gload mean that it was from the 14th order placed by Majestic to the White Sox? If the Sox had Majestic do the customizing, they may have ordered player's jerseys as they were needed for players coming up or replacements. So there could be set 1 (full team), set 2 (full team), then set 3-14 (any number of jerseys as needed)? Could be an interesting possibility to these random set numbers.

As far as I know, only Rawlings uses the set 1 and set 2 flag tag designations to identify time of order instead of number of sets. Majestic, to my knowledge, has always used set numbers as an ID of actual jerseys made of a given team/player/style. The only other time I can recall a time-of-order set number was with some teams that ordered from Russell in 1992, as some Russell teams have a plethora of set 1s. With Russell, as far as I can tell this is limited to 1992 (their first year as the official MLB uniform supplier).

Dave Miedema

EricTheRed44
12-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. New to the jersey aspect of collecting, so any advice is appreciated.

Joe

xpress34
12-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Is there any way to find out how many Eric Davis jerseys were made each year (2001 in this case) as you seem to know with the Ryan?

I know he didnt play a lot, so I'm hoping he didnt have a great # of jersey's.

Joe -

I don't have an answer.

For Ryan, his jerseys are somewhat unique in that at some point in his time with the Angels, he started having his GAME jerseys made exclusively by Goodman & Sons in Los Angeles - up to and including his final season in 1993.

If you ever get offered a GAME USED Ryan Rangers jersey made by Rawlings or Russell for example it may have been used in Spring Training, but his regular season Gamers were Goodman's.

Hope this helps. You just need to learn the traits for both the teams Eric played on as well as his personal choices and such.

- Smitty