PDA

View Full Version : Tagging of NFL jerseys

short84
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the answer. I have seen NFL jerseys with a letter after the tag that has the year/size tag. For example, I have seen jerseys tagged 06-46 S. What do the various letters stand for or represent? Thank you.

beaglegypsy003
12-15-2012, 11:25 PM
D = defensive player cut (extra tight to the body)
L = line-cut sleeves
O = offensive lineman cut (wide in the lower body)
PBL = "pot belly" similar to above but wider near the tail to accommodate large guts
QB = quarterback style sleeves or wide open
S = skill cut sleeves

This is my understanding.

short84
12-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Thank you very much. I am dealing with a very difficult eBay buyer who is trying to tell me the "S" mean sized. I sold him a game used jersey tagged 04-46 S that had photographs in the listing that showed this tagging along with a prova chip, wetrak chip and prova inventory tag. He acknowleges he is a game used jersey collector but is trying to get me to make an "adjustment" on the price he paid because in his words "the jersey is tapered and not a true 46". He is trying to convince me the "S" means the jersey is sized to fit the player and that means it is tapered. Thank you for your help.

jppopma
12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Regardless of the cut of the jersey, most football jerseys are customized to the players. The size would refer to the original size of the jersey; before it was cut to a style or other customizations.

If he claims to be a game used collector, he should know that football jerseys are designed to fit over pads and not worth trying to wear. My guess is that he either bought it to wear and has no clue about how pro jerseys fit, or he is just trying to nickle and dime you to get a better deal on the jersey.

Try to welcome him into collecting game jerseys and educate him. Maybe he will learn and become a new collector.

short84
12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
I appreciate your comments. However, this is the type of person that can not be educated. He keeps telling me the game used jersey he received is not a "true 46". I don't even know what a true 46 is. He claims to be a game used football jersey collector but is hung up on the size of this jersey. He acknowleges that he knows Rams jerseys (this is a Rams jersey that was tagged 04-46) are recycled and modificated for each player and yet is insisting it is not a "true 46". This jersey had no modifications that would have made it fit tighter that were after market like extra stitching or fabric taken in along the sides. He states I should have mentioned this in the description. If you are selling game used football jerseys, the buyer I am dealing with is sfhnuffced.

I have had more issued with buyers on eBay the last 6 weeks than I have had in the last 6 years. eBay has been overrun with buyers who don't want to pay, promise to pay and their word is no good, buyers who feel that it is up to the seller to take anything back (especially like this guy who is trying his best to come up with a reason to send this jersey back to me) and extremely rude buyers. There are a lot of deadbeats out there.

Preston
12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
What about a neck tag with "PBO" on it - is that equivalent to PBL? I have a game jersey with that as the cut.

beaglegypsy003
12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I saw a photo of a Kris Dielman 2008 Chargers International series jersey with PBO on the strip tag. Don't know what it means.

NEFAN
12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
In my experience with buyers like that, I just tell them to send it back for a refund. 9 times out of 10 that ends whe whining.

short84
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
You are absolutely right -- this guy is a pain in the a$$. First he tells me he is a game used football jersey collector and then he complains when he receives a nice item. Turns out he bought it to wear and it doesn't fit so now he claims I did not accurately describe the item. It was listed for 7 days and he was too damn lazy to ask a few questions. It takes all kinds.

jake33
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
I usually tell people who buy an item to wear and compain on the sizing, the the jersey was sold as a piece of memorabilia, not as an item to be worn.

If your listed is lsited under sports memorabilia on ebay, tell them what they bought the jersey for was not for its intended use.

jppopma
12-17-2012, 04:41 PM
What about a neck tag with "PBO" on it - is that equivalent to PBL? I have a game jersey with that as the cut.

I'm not positive, but I think they have potbelly version for each of the lineman styles. So you could have PBO, PBL, or PBD.

short84
12-17-2012, 06:23 PM
jake33, you are right. Because it was under the correct category and listed as a game used/worn jersey, I won my case. The bottom line is make sure when you are selling game used items, they are listed under the correct category and eBay will find in your favor as the seller.