PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel--what did you win

genius
12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I got the Kelly Tripucka-era Notre Dame hoops jersey and shorts. I've always wanted a white jersey tinted slightly green by washing the numbers and letters :-)

I'm glad I just max-bid and went to bed, the auction was still on at 6:00 AM.

Some huge prices as usual there. A couple of head-scratchers the other way though.

bballzs14
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Yea, I got outbid on the Darren McFadden jersey at 6am this morning... really?? I'm wondering if the bidding was still going on or they were just manually entering the phone bids late or what. But a bummer nonetheless. Hopefully it went to a good home.

trsent
12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Yea, I got outbid on the Darren McFadden jersey at 6am this morning... really?? I'm wondering if the bidding was still going on or they were just manually entering the phone bids late or what. But a bummer nonetheless. Hopefully it went to a good home.

No auction house enters phone bids later in the morning - If there are any phone bids they immediately enter them. When a call is received at an auction house, they are telling the bidder the current bids and if they want to bid on anything they enter the bid on the phone with that customer right then.

No reason they wouldn't immediately enter the bids, they are using computers while on the phone.

ousooner_85
12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
I just recently started following and at times bidding on items from auction houses/companies. I'm curious as to why Grey Flannel (and others if there are) keep the entire auction open until all bidding has ceased? The 10 minute rule with the running clock on each item seems fairly logical. I would assume their style is purely profit based, is there something obvious I'm missing?

esquiresports
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
To answer post above, you can argue it both ways. Leaving entire auction open gives bidders more time to think about making another bid. However, it can also lead to a type of sniping because it gets so late some people go to sleep, and many people won't place ceiling bids.

I thought I was in good shape but got outbid at 7:10 am Eastern! My guess is someone on the East Coast woke up and upped his/her bid. My loss. Oh well. It was a beautiful piece too. Ended up winning nothing.

mickeymbz
12-13-2012, 05:45 PM
To answer post above, you can argue it both ways. Leaving entire auction open gives bidders more time to think about making another bid. However, it can also lead to a type of sniping because it gets so late some people go to sleep, and many people won't place ceiling bids.

I thought I was in good shape but got outbid at 7:10 am Eastern! My guess is someone on the East Coast woke up and upped his/her bid. My loss. Oh well. It was a beautiful piece too. Ended up winning nothing.
what was the item u bid on?

esquiresports
12-13-2012, 06:54 PM
I bid on the 1975-76 mint ABA basketball. The white on the ball was really clean. I bid well more than similar examples have sold for recently. Have to go back to the Internet boom time to find a similar price, I believe.

otismalibu
12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Interesting that an unused ABA basketball (with box) fetches $4K while an older game used ABA basketball (with team stamp) goes for less than $800.

Falcon
12-14-2012, 01:47 AM
If anyone here won the 3 NY Jets jerseys, I'd pay $250 for the Miano jersey.

Lhaso
01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Has anyone received their item or their money if they consigned?

genius
01-10-2013, 05:51 PM
I received the ND Hanzlik basketball jersey. Found a cool photo of him playing against Magic Johnson too so I was happy with the purchase.

cloudj12
06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Genius...If you're ever interested in selling your Bill Hanzlik uniform, please look me up.

I received the ND Hanzlik basketball jersey. Found a cool photo of him playing against Magic Johnson too so I was happy with the purchase.

VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
06-24-2013, 06:38 PM