PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious Andruw Jones Bat........

kylehess10
10-29-2006, 03:18 PM
This would be so awesome to have in my collection:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Andruw-Jones-1998-Used-Rawlings-F-You-Ball-BP-Bat_W0QQitemZ300040195975QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60596Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BoneRubbedBat
10-29-2006, 05:21 PM
That used to be my bat. I had it in my collection for a few years until the kids got old enough to read. I sold it on e-bay last year. It is a very "unique" bat.

sportscentury
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
That used to be my bat. I had it in my collection for a few years until the kids got old enough to read. I sold it on e-bay last year. It is a very "unique" bat.

Hi, Marcus...

Would you tell us or email me (rgf2@hotmail.com) details of what you know about this bat? I'd think about picking this up if I could find out more about it.

I don't think the photo that is shown in the auction is a photomatch.

Thanks,
Reid

kylehess10
10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi, Marcus...

I don't think the photo that is shown in the auction is a photomatch.

Your right, it isn't a photomatch. Both the picture and the bat show 2 black straks on the barrel but they're both in different spots

kylehess10
10-29-2006, 09:47 PM

The auction states that it was purchased from a personal friend of Andruw. Is he referring to you?

10-30-2006, 02:20 AM
I believe this very unique Jones bat used to be in my collection for a short amount of time, unless there are two or more of these bats that look very similar. The Glomar bat company from Fullerton, CA, would have players provide them bats from other companies to act as templates for the bat models they wanted to have made by Glomar. Some players would provide new bats, and some would provide used and even cracked bats. When Glomar either changed hands or was going out of business, they sold their template bats to a local store. I was able to purchase a couple bats this way, and one was the Jones bat, or at least one just like the one on eBay. I am not a fan of Jones, but I thought this bat was hilarious and belonged with all my other "oddball" bats. It was great to show to all my friends. However, I also soon realized that this bat would be on the difficult side to display in any kind of tactful manner, so I traded it away.

Tom Duino
Aliso Viejo, CA

sportscentury
11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Forum readers,

I have received several emails about this bat. Mike Costantino was the seller (I've done business with him before on a few top items, always with no problem). Mike got the bat from Tim Crowder, who is well-known among Braves and Andruw collectors as he is a friend of Andruw's and probably the biggest Andruw collector in the world. I bought my first Andruw items from Tim when Andruw first broke into the majors. Apparently, Andruw was using this bat in games until he was warned that he could no longer do so. Rather than throw the bat out, he wrote BP all over the barrel and used it in batting practice until it cracked.

Here are some detailed photos for your viewing pleasure. I had to pick this one up ... have never seen a gamer like this one before, and the use is simply ridiculous.

Reid

sportscentury
11-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Here are the rest of the Andruw FU Ball bat scans...

kylehess10
12-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Historic Auctions is currently selling another Andruw Jones bat with the same inscription. I knew I should've saved for this auction, I would kill for this:

http://www.historicauctions.com/images/listings/0DA7AC49-1111-B1F9-F34554D2C661A97B/DSC_4668.JPG (http://www.historicauctions.com/search/showphotos/auctionid/32914/)