PDA

View Full Version : question about getting grey flannel account

murfsteve25
12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I wanted to place a bid on an item in grey flannel but i dont have an account. How hard is it to get one? When i tried to register it asks for 3 references but i dont have any. Will i get denied?

trsent
12-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I wanted to place a bid on an item in grey flannel but i dont have an account. How hard is it to get one? When i tried to register it asks for 3 references but i dont have any. Will i get denied?

Those references are a joke - Very few auction houses are close enough to check references from other auction houses - They just want to see you are active elsewhere.

esquiresports
12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Grey Flannel was one of the first auction houses where I signed up. Before I was allowed to bid on a "premier" lot, they asked that I provide a bank or similar statement showing that I could actually pay if I won. They are the only auction house that has done that. Others have let me bid on anything without restriction.

If you have a decent eBay feedback, that will help. I agree with Joel, there shouldn't be an issue signing up. And I don't think any of them actually check references with their competitors.

murfsteve25
12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks a lot. I went ahead and registered. Just wondering tho, lets say I win on an item...what happens next? Do they mail you the invoice and you just mail them back the check? Whats the timeline for payments?

esquiresports
12-10-2012, 08:56 PM
They will email and mail you an invoice. They usually ask for payment within two weeks. If you send a check, they will hold the merchandise until it clears. I always send a bank check and they usually mail within a day or so.

A couple tips you've probably already figured:

(1) Make sure you think about what you are paying with 20% added on top. It makes a big difference to the price when the buyer's premium is added. They also charge a lot for shipping because of insurance, among other reasons. You won't be paying eBay rates.

(2) GF requires that you place a bid prior to a cut-off time. Grey Flannel ends the entire auction once no bid has been received on ANY lot for 10 minutes. So expect the auction to remain open late (3-4 am is typical in my experience).

Good luck!

murfsteve25
12-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey thanks alot! I appreciate the info

esquiresports
12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Any luck in the auction? I got outbid at 4:06 am ET on a lot. That hurt, but not too bad, because the final price is I believe the highest amount ever paid for the item.

esquiresports
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Any luck in the auction? I got outbid at 4:06 am ET on a lot. That hurt, but not too bad, because the final price is I believe the highest amount ever paid for the item.

Correction - outbid at 4:06 PACIFIC. 7:06 EASTERN. Wow - that's a new record for me.

murfsteve25
12-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Nope. I had a bid on the Justice jersey and got outbid on it. Decided that if i were to place another bid on it that it would be too much than what i would have wanted to pay with all the other fees added to it so i decided to let it go. What were you bidding on?

esquiresports
12-14-2012, 02:14 AM
I was bidding on the ABA basketball. Never bid on one before. Just thought it would be a cool display piece. When I was a little kid, I always wanted a red, white and blue basketball, but they had stopped making them. Definitely would have been the most (by far) I have spent on something not a sports card and not game used. Probably for the best that I lost (that's what I tell myself to feel better).

murfsteve25
12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I was bidding on the ABA basketball. Never bid on one before. Just thought it would be a cool display piece. When I was a little kid, I always wanted a red, white and blue basketball, but they had stopped making them. Definitely would have been the most (by far) I have spent on something not a sports card and not game used. Probably for the best that I lost (that's what I tell myself to feel better).

Ya thats pretty cool. I like items that remind me of my childhood which is why im really into Justice and the early 90's Braves. I didnt even see how much the ABA basketball was going for. Ill have to check it out. I could have placed another bid on the jersey but i told myself to just let it go.