PDA

View Full Version : RYAN SANDBERG Phillies game used jersey HELP!!

cubbs1232
12-07-2012, 04:54 PM
What do I have here? It came from a old Phillies employee who said Rhyno gave it to him during the season. Im not fimilar with older items, so is it game used and whats it worth? My email is cubbs1232@msn.com for more photos if needed.

cubbs1232
12-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Inside tag

cubbs1232
12-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Anybody? I see Rhyno never wore this number, im lost so any help would be great.

John in KY
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Very odd piece since the Phillies didn't use pullover jerseys; they would have been using the zipper front jerseys at that time. Maybe it's a Phillies minor league jersey? Not sure about what their organization was wearing in the late 70s/early 80s.

cubbs1232
12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah ive had a couple different members email me and say its possible its a minor league jersey because of the style and number. ive been looking everywhere with no luck. Im hoping when i take it to get signed at ST he Rhyno might remember it.

nevrdiez34
12-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I saw this on Heritage Auctions from the this past Spring, it's an example of a 1981 Phillies ST Sandberg jersey with the zipper front, also is a size 42. Perhaps yours is another year or minor league jersey. Good luck with your search...http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotNo=81413

cubbs1232
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah i saw that too. The size is correct and the stiching on the nameplate and wilson tagging is the same along with the cut of the nameplate. I dont know its baffling me.

Dewey2007
12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Can't tell what uniform# he's wearing but it looks like it could be his AA Reading jersey. Doesn't look at all like the style he wore in '81 w/ Oklahoma City.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1980-TCMA-Ryne-Sandberg-Reading-Phillies-33-PSA-VG-SUPER-RARE-/00/s/MTYwMFg5NDg=/$(KGrHqN,!ocF!JiGqn1NBQL,q1VSmQ~~60_57.JPG

commando
12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
The Reading Phillies have retired the number "26" in honor of Sandberg. With that being said, there's still a good chance he wore your jersey. So much number-shifting was happening in the minors those days, it's almost unbelievable.

joelsabi
12-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Can't tell what uniform# he's wearing but it looks like it could be his AA Reading jersey. Doesn't look at all like the style he wore in '81 w/ Oklahoma City.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1980-TCMA-Ryne-Sandberg-Reading-Phillies-33-PSA-VG-SUPER-RARE-/00/s/MTYwMFg5NDg=/$(KGrHqN,!ocF!JiGqn1NBQL,q1VSmQ~~60_57.JPG

i dont see the stripes on the collar that connect to the stripes on the shoulder.

i found another photo of sandberg using #35 in the minors so he did not use #26 exclusively in the minors, so number changing can be frequent in the minors. Good luck. I find this to be the most interesting and fun part of the search.

joelsabi
12-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Dave (sox83cubs84),

How common were names on the the back of minor league jerseys in 1980?

cubbs1232
12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Fun and aggravating at the same time. I talked to the guy i got it from for a little while last night and he said he got it during Spring Training from Sandberg, he just cant remember the year. So is it pausible Sandberg brought it with him to Spring Training? He also said while he was working in their minor league system he saw some guys change numbers 3 or 4 times.

As far as the minor league jersey angle it could be Helena Phils '78, Spartanburg Phils '79, or Reading Phils '80. Cant be OKC as they had a totally different name and logo.

joelsabi
12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Ryne Sandberg (INF, 1981): "1979 at Carpenter Complex, and my uniform number was 8, after Larry Rojas. We stayed at the Days Inn up on 19. Roommate was Ray Boricki first, and then Ed Hearn.

"A bus took us from the hotel to Carpenter. As the bus drove in the driveway at the complex on the first say, Pete Rose was in the batting cages. When I got off the bus, I stopped and just watched him. All I saw was line drives; I was thinking, 'WOW, that's Pete Rose.'"

With a process of elimination, if it is from ST, perhaps 1980 ST.

Was searching when Ryne was an ST invite.
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120308&content_id=27109860&vkey=news_phi&c_id=phi

If anything Sandberg has a good memory and you will have success getting an answer in ST.

cubbs1232
12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
ive been on youtube for about 4 hours watching old ST games, just watched Cubs vs Phils, man those are some memories

guess i shouldve spelled his name right in the title too

sox83cubs84
12-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Dave (sox83cubs84),

How common were names on the the back of minor league jerseys in 1980?

Virtually unheard of.

Dave Miedema

cubbs1232
12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Ive been emailing an employee with the Reading Phillies today and he too was stumped. He said he knows up to the mid 70s they didnt have nob especially on road jerseys and that he doesnt remember if they ever had names on them.

He said the size, Wilson tag style, nameplate style and stitching on both look correct but the fact its a pullover, wash tag location and the number has him stumped. His thought was maybe it was brought up by him for ST and the nameplate was added by the mlb clubhouse. Im starting to think this is a lost cause and my only hope is that Ryne remembers something

commando
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Based on the fact that there is a player name on the back, as well as being a high number for an infielder (49), I would think this is almost certainly a spring training jersey. It might be team-issued but not worn. There's even the possibility that there was a Sanderg nameplate left laying around after he departed to the Cubs, and someone in the clubhouse attached it to the back of a spare jersey.

If at all possible, I would try to get a letter from the guy who gave you the shirt. Whether or not the mystery is solved in the future, you at least want to have written provenance that it did indeed come from the Phillies organization. I think the item is beautiful, and is certainly a unique, mysterious piece.

cubbs1232
12-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah I had him write a loa today when i went to his house to buy a bunch of autographed Phillies baseballs( Kruk, Rose, Schmidt, Ashburn,etc.). I love this thing being a huge Cubs/Mark Grace/Rhyno fan. Its a great piece in my opinion, even though I hate the Phils:) .

I thank everyone for their help on this and if I learn anything new I will be sure to share.

cubbs1232
01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
So the great Howard Wolf helped me out and told me its an Instructional league style jersey. The tagging is from 1979+ and he said the nameplates are usually stuck on with velcro. This namplate is sewn on but you can see the velcro when you turn the jersey inside out. Im going to a Charity event early next month where he will be in attendance so i hope to get it signed and hopefully a verification that it was his.