PDA

View Full Version : If you had the choice.

NEFAN
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
FOOTBALL QUESTION

Would you rather have a game used helmet or a game used jersey of a player.

Which do you think would ultimately be worth more?

marino13
12-06-2012, 10:22 PM
FOOTBALL QUESTION

Would you rather have a game used helmet or a game used jersey of a player.

Which do you think would ultimately be worth more?

Helmet is always rarer but the market for helmet is not as in demand as jersey.

So depend on what your main goal is - for the "flipping" or for the "love of the collection" - the choice is easy to make.

jeffaary
12-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I wear my Keith Byars and Terry Glenn game worn jerseys while watching the Patriot's games. Not too many people wear helmets while watching football on TV. So I'd choose jerseys.

Shipp_96
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Everyone knows what I collect :rolleyes:. Helmets are more unique, easier to display (and display nicer IMO), and much more rare. When you get a photo match or a couple of them together on a shelf they just look cool.

However, I have to say jerseys are worth more in the long run. I have never lost money on a helmet, but I don't make a ton either when I flip them to buy another one. When I did collect mostly jerseys, I usually made more money and always broke even.

So if it's just about long term value, jersey. If it's about unique and a nicer conversation piece, helmet.

jake33
12-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Generally speaking baseball vs. football....

But first, looking at a MLB Baseball jersey vs. Baseball helmet...
Baseball helmets have become pretty interesting in recent years. I recall even as recent as the early 2000's game used baseball helmets were VERY HARD to get. In recent year's MLB has had a push for all teams to sell more and more gmae used items. MLB just had a meeting in Vegas in December 2012 to discuss enhancing the amount of game used items teams sell.

Also, in 2013 all MLB teams are changing to the new concussion helmets. So with all the team fan fests coming up, I image there will be a LOT of cool flow helmets hitting the market at reasonable prices. I would say game used helmet values for baseball helmet are not what they used to be. Generally speaking, MLB GU jersey's prices have leveled off at best too. I think anyone on this forum could find a pretty nice authenticated MLB jersey for under $200, but overall the gu baseball jersey is worth more and has more upside.

I would choose jersey over helmet. But a side note, I would choose a great gmae used fielding glove over a jersey.

For GU NFL helmet vs GU jersey
I previous poster had a GREAT point, when talking about upside. You will likely buy an NFL GU helmet for $350-$500 and sell it for $350-$500. It holds it's value, but a $500 helmet will have a hard time getting to $1000. NFL career's are usually burnout careers that peak early. That is problematic in getting increased value down the road.

It is not overly common to find guys that a few yers down the road become better players that really increase there value. John Lynch and Ronde Barber are guys that comes to mind that started off slow and started as mid round picks without a ton of hype that grew into pro bowlers. Tommy Maddox, and Terrell Owens also come to mind. Mostly QB's or WR's that go on to win super bowls are really the only way to jack up NFL GU prices to invenstment.

But the NFL is a sink or swim league. Guys often times start out so hot that their potential is what sells their items fast and really they can only go downhill unless they win a super bowl i.e. Mark Sanchez, Cadillac Williams, Michael Crabtree, Brady Quinn, most offensive lineman drafted in the top 10. Even Alex Smith, his stuff was hot for being the top pick in 2005. When he faltered it went downa lot. Then last year when he had that good run, the prices didn't go back up to where his rookie status was selling.

For jersey, the burnout career factor is also an issue. But what I notice the ongoing selling point of a GU NFL jersey are the fanatics from that player's college. Ki Jana Carter may always be a bust and Bengals fans don't want his jersey, but Penn State fans value his items. So think about that, if you are a fan of a player from your favorite college and he plays in the NFl, would you rather have a Browns helmet that the only thing that attributes the jersey to him is a sticker on the helemt with his jersey number. Or, would you rather have the game used jersey, with his numbers huge on the jersey and his last name across the back of the jersey?

The helmet to me is a neater item, and speaking from being a Buccaneers game used collector, a palyer ID's helemt is SUPER RARE. But the jersey has more upside for NFL jerseys and there are more major college fans (i.e. USC, Texas, Florida, Nebraska) than there are Buccaneers fans in the world.

NEFAN
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
All good points, thanks.

Jags Fan Dan
12-07-2012, 02:42 PM
As a player collector (Brunell), I do not have a helmet. I have been collecting Brunell stuff for a very long time, but I have never seen one of his helmets offered that I was comfortable with. For me, a photo matched Brunell helmet is a grail item. Or if I could find one that came from his foundation, that would be great too.

If you are not a collector of any particular player, I agree with others who feel that jerseys are more popular.

tom1315
12-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Here is my "$ .02"....a helmet is the better item to own. Now I have approximately 50 helmets and I built custom shelves to display them. Usually the gamer has the "battle scars" - and may or may not be matched to particular game(s) and is a better display piece in my opinion. Now I have jerseys too...college and NFL that I display with a helmet from the player or the team. Some of those have been posted on here in the college or NFL sections.

I would buy the helmet over the jersey!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate