PDA

View Full Version : NFL Auctions - Doug Martin Bucs jersey

Dewey2007
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I know prices on NFL Auctions are often inflated but I can't believe that the Doug Martin Bucs jersey that ended last night went for $6,881. It went for $2K more then the Tony Gonzalez jersey did that he wore when he caught his 100th career TD.

If the Martin jersey had been worn in the game vs Oakland when he had 251 yards & 4 TD's I could almost understand that price but that final bid price is mind blowing to say the least.

jake33
12-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I saw that as well. In the 14 years that I have collected Buccaneers game used items, that is the highest price a Bucs jersey has ever sold for. Steve Spurrier's 1976 inaugural game white jersey with ORANGE numbers and red trim sold for $2500 at grey flannel back in 2005. I saw Derrick Brooks sell a game jersey in 2006 directly on ebay for $1700. I paid $500 for a super bowl worn jersey, $700 for Adrian Clayborn's 9/11 tribute jersey... But $6500+ for Doug MArtin? One injury and that jersey is a $800 jersey at best. Cadillac Williams jersye topped out at $1700 at auction too one point. $6500? Can't you get a Barry Sanders and/or an Emmitt Smith for that price? Safe to say that Martin won't have the career those two guys had.

The same buyer ColinBJohnson - paid $900 for Quincy Black #58 - BCA Bucs jersey and paid $850 for D'Quan Bowers #91 - 9/11 tribute jersey. With that, he is pushing close to $10,000 within a month for 3 game used Bucs jerseys. He has yet to bid on something and not win. Seems a little odd to me.

Thankfully he didn't want to Michael Koenen Bucs London jersey I got a few weeks ago.

Jags Fan Dan
12-06-2012, 08:56 AM
His stuff is the newest, hottest stuff, and right now there isn't much of it out there, which are the factors driving this type of pricing. Even if he is fantastic for a number of years, the number of his game used jerseys on the market will only increase. If he's not good for a number of years, you basically have an Errict Rhett jersey. Definitely not the best buy regardless.

solarlottry
12-06-2012, 12:08 PM
"silveroak" won the Doug Martin shirt not ColinBJohnson. Silveroak has a very nice collection that includes multiple HOF shirts many of which are quite expensive. If this collector felt the need to pay such a high price I am sure there was a very good reason why.

If you want to get an idea of what silveroaks collection is like scroll through the NFL thread and you will find one post. It is a pretty nice shirt.

Always buying 49er gamers!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Jags Fan Dan
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
"silveroak" won the Doug Martin shirt not ColinBJohnson. Silveroak has a very nice collection that includes multiple HOF shirts many of which are quite expensive. If this collector felt the need to pay such a high price I am sure there was a very good reason why.

If you want to get an idea of what silveroaks collection is like scroll through the NFL thread and you will find one post. It is a pretty nice shirt.

Always buying 49er gamers!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com
I just re-read my post and I want to clarify, my comments are not meant to judge anybody's purchase. I am speaking only of my opinion of the price paid versus what I think the future value might be. And, of course, everybody has the right to do what they wish with their money. I'm sure the purchaser of the jersey could care less what any of us think of the price he paid for the jersey, and rightfully so.

jake33
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
If he had a good reason why, I would be interested in what it is. That was not even the game where he had 200 yards from scrimmage at Minnesota or the game at Oakland where he ran for 250+ yards.

Is Corey Dillon's jersey that is in the HOF where he ran for 278 yards a $6500 jersey? If they wanted to, the pro football could market the jersey and make a big deal about it and probably get $6500, but that is not a guarantee. Same with Adrian Peterson. Has any Adrian Peterson gamer sold for that much? I saw the LaDanian Thomlinson Jets jersey from his last NFL game that Mulligans has. Asking $15K, but I wonder if he'd take $6,000 for it?

Back to the Martin jersey. To me, paying $6700+ for that jersey (or really any running back) is like making a $1000 bet with these terms. If you lose the bet you lose all $1,000 and if you win the bet you walk away with $1025.

Like I said, that is the highest price that a Buccaneers jersey has ever sold for.

Dewey2007
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I agree. I wasn't judging the purchase either. People can pay what they want for an item. I think I was just more shocked at the final overall price considering a future HOFer like Tony Gonzalez's jersey went for much less and his was a milestone jersey. Lord knows I've overpaid for a jersey or two that I will never recoup my money on if I ever tried to sell them. This looks to me like nothing more then a bidding war for a talented rookie RB's jersey.

I just re-read my post and I want to clarify, my comments are not meant to judge anybody's purchase. I am speaking only of my opinion of the price paid versus what I think the future value might be. And, of course, everybody has the right to do what they wish with their money. I'm sure the purchaser of the jersey could care less what any of us think of the price he paid for the jersey, and rightfully so.

pacman2680
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
It is pretty incomprehensible. If you look, items have been recently listed on NFL auctions. These items still have 12 days to go, and I see bidders already aggressively jacking up the prices. To me this makes absolutely no sense.
Why bid so aggressively with 12 days to go in an auction that just started?
It not like they'll win the item any faster.

Either money is no object, or in some cases dealers looking to inflate item prices. No matter how you look at it, logic doesn't play a part.

solarlottry
12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
I agree that the price of the jersey was considerably more than I thought it would sell for. For that price jerseys from a number of HOF players can be purchased. That being said I have waited 3 seasons for specific 49er gamers to be auctioned, after being sold by NFL Auctions previously, with no luck. For all we know this is the only Doug Martin rookie shirt to be sold and to the collector worth the price.

The value of a jersey or anything else collectable for that matter, is in the eye of the purchaser (in this case 2 different bidders) such that price relative to similar items can be skewed. If a 1994 49er gamer popped up and I needed that specific shirt to complete the starting roster, I would overpay considerably. I am sure there would be collectors who would be curious as to why a jersey of a random linebacker or o-lineman would sell at such a price.

Overall I think the prices of recently sold gamers on NFL Auctions has been quite high. This affects collectors in a number of ways. First it drives the price of all gamers higher as sellers expect higher prices when they see the prices from recent auctions.

Second it may actually shrink the number of gamers available which is a bit perplexing. How the overall number of shirts shrink is because sellers now have an expectation of value/price and even though this price may be inflated by the recent NFL Auction results, sellers still expect to get that price. When the shirt is offered for sale long time collectors tend not to offer any where near the expected price thus keeping the item in the sellers hands or pushing the seller to sell to card companies. Once sold to Panini the jersey is lost forever. I have been told by a number of collectors who have sold things to card companies that they have done so because they pay well and that the offers they have received from other collectors just have not stacked up.

If 6 Patrick Willis shirts have been sold by NFL Auctions and a card company is offering top dollar for one but collectors are only offering what they think is reasonable, then the shirt will be chopped up. Once cut up there is one less shirt in existence and since the team is not making more of them thus harder to find. Willis is wearing new gamers this season and the next etc. but the supply of Reebok shirts is finite and made even more scarce as they are purchased by card companies or held in personal collections.

The high price of gamers on NFL Auctions makes buying other gamers even more difficult as the few people who are able to obtain game worn jerseys via another source expect the same prices as those at auction. I have personally experienced this which is a drag as shirts are sold to be cut up. It is still a free country though and sellers want high prices so I would not expect anything less.

Always buying 49er gamers and paying a finders fee.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

legaleagle92481
12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
To each his own. If you want it and can afford it buy it. Noone else has the right to judge. Some players rarely pop up on the market and if you pass on them you may not get another chance for awhile. Some people collect for future profit and thats fine but not everyone does. I have overpaid for several jerseys but have no regrets because I have not seen anything from those players since.

pacman2680
12-08-2012, 03:21 AM
I couldn't agree more legal. For all I know Doug Martin himself could be buying his own shirt, or perhaps a relative.

When an item is meaningful to a collector, and as you stated you can afford it,
then by all means.

Jags Fan Dan
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I couldn't agree more legal. For all I know Doug Martin himself could be buying his own shirt, or perhaps a relative.

When an item is meaningful to a collector, and as you stated you can afford it,
then by all means.
Exactly. If you've got the dough and you want it, go for it. There is a fine line here between being critical of someone's purchase and commenting on the future value of a piece.

One thing that we must remember, in spite of my agreement that the purchaser could never in any conceivable circumstance recoup his/her funds on this purchase, is that this was an auction and there was an underbidder right behind the buyer.

Most of us probably have pieces that we bought knowing full well we were paying over market value. I know I have at least a couple of items that I purchased knowing but not caring that I could not recoup the funds.

jake33
12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I am being critical and it is my right to judge. Not that is is polite or nice for me to judge, but judging is like an "opinion." I think whomever bought it displays questionable purchasing tactics and those tactics have a residue effect on the rest of the hobby.

I could go into a long rant about that, but in short. In some way all purchases alter the hobby some markets are tighter than others and a small number of high selling prices can hurt a future purchase of yours. JO Sports pricing structure was based on a small number of people that paid full price on particular items. Form there it was up to you to be able to negotiate them down.

I am forthcoming when it comes to my mistakes in the hobby. I freely give out my personal phone number on here often as well. I don't have any issue with anything being said as long as it is factual.

If the person who paid $6800 for that Doug Martin jersey has an issue with what I wrote, they probably need to have something better to worry about than an opinion of a guy on a sports forum. Plus with $6800 to burn, they probably already have a lot of better things to do that to take my opinion and have it emotionally effect them.

G1X
12-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Paul and Jake are completely on the mark in their comments. While I agree 100% with their observations on these issues, first and foremost, let's keep in mind that NFL Auctions is raising money for charities. That's the most important factor and we should not lose sight of that fact. Charity auctions often get a bit crazy with the bidding and final price as some folks are more than willing to continue the bidding knowing that the money is going to a good cause.

This is a good thing and what it is really all about with regards to charity auctiuons, but as collectors, it can greatly affect the market as Paul and Jake have stated so well in their posts.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

EricTheRed44
12-16-2012, 06:36 PM
People overpaying does hurt the rest of us, but it is what it is. There are lots of reasons people want what they want. Who knows. This guy could have taken his son to the game, the kid falls in love with the way Martin plays... and here you go little Johnny, I'm the best dad ever and here is the jersey he played in from the game we went to. Not everyone is Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton. I'm sure I've paid too much for Eric Davis items, but certain things I've wanted and I wasnt going to let them get away.... He wasn't the next Willie Mays, doesnt mean he wasn't Willie Mays to me. If its for charity, too bad he didnt pay a hundred grand for it. Heaven forbid one of us not get a sweet deal on a jersey and someone needy gets $ from a charity.

BOOOOO charity! Joking. I know it can be irritating when someone has an endless flow of cash... but being jealous doesnt solve anything. Or bitter.... just sell your car next time and buy that Martin jersey.

jake33
12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Am I getting accused of being jealous that.

I am a very open and direct person. I would have no problem stating that was or am jealous, my main issue is that those high sell prices do affect the market overall.

I usually only get jealous on a purchase when I find that someone got something for a steal and I missed out on it.

I fully support people making money and doing whatever they want with it.

But on the "charity" side of it, I often say this about most charities.... There is never really full accountability where exactly the money goes. It is usually spoken of in general terms of what overall your money goes to. However, a lot of people's money that goes to charities often goes to the non profit organization's office supplies, electric bills, and other opperating expenses, not to mention salaries of workers.

I have worked for 2 non profit organizations within the last 10 years and donners people would be surprised where their money goes. It is not in a malicious or illegal way, but there is often a healthy amount of public relations spin put on most charities to get funds. Then they will streamline the message to show that all the proceeds or funds go to help cancer, children, symphony orchestras, or whales.

legaleagle92481
12-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Something that noone seems to over point out when they bemoan the rices items sell for on NFL auctions is that 95% of the items auctioned on there are never seen again in the hobby. Check Ebay and the major auction houses and you seldom see NFL Auction items in their auctions. These items end up in what must be some pretty impressive private collections so the talk of resale value is just that talk.

pacman2680
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Interesting point Legal, although one could argue they never hit the market because the collectors will never get what was originally paid on nfl auction.
And the thought of selling an item at a fraction of what was paid is dreadful.

For example the jersey of a player gone bust like Vince Young. His jerseys sold for multiple thousands when his career looked promising. Now, from a selling standpoint, you'd be lucky to get 500$ for one of his jerseys.

Either way, as I mentioned an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It's hard to really put a price tag on gu items. And if someone can afford it, why not, especially if it has a special meaning.

legaleagle92481
12-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Interesting point Legal, although one could argue they never hit the market because the collectors will never get what was originally paid on nfl auction.
And the thought of selling an item at a fraction of what was paid is dreadful.

For example the jersey of a player gone bust like Vince Young. His jerseys sold for multiple thousands when his career looked promising. Now, from a selling standpoint, you'd be lucky to get 500$ for one of his jerseys.

Either way, as I mentioned an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It's hard to really put a price tag on gu items. And if someone can afford it, why not, especially if it has a special meaning.

You never know until you try. They could just put it on the bay with a BIN with option to accept offers or as an auction with a reserve. I have had stuff I thought I overpaid on and then was pleasantly surprised to actually make money when I sold it. Other stuff I thought I got a great deal on and lost money.

solarlottry
12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Legaleagle is right to some extent as you rarely see NFL Auction items up for sale on eBay or via major auction houses. Some things do pop up but for the most part once an item is sold, it is gone.

There is an exception though and that is the buying and selling of certain high end pieces between collectors. I have been lucky enough to buy a number of 49er pieces that had been sold via NFL Auctions but only because I knew the collector who had the piece.

Both Frank Gore shirts I own were purchased from a fellow board member and for a price that was slightly higher than his purchase price. We both agreed that the sale price was fair thus the deals were completed. I don't think that the shirts would have changed hands had the price been lower as the original owner could have just as easily kept the jerseys.

I have sold 3 or 4 and have purchased at least 8 49ers NFL Auction gamers to other collectors. None of these jerseys would have shown up on eBay or in an auction thus giving the appearance that the jerseys are still with their original owners.

Considering that NFL Auctions has been selling gamers since 2001, the overall availability of 95% of the hundreds of jerseys sold is extremely low. Without a "network" of collectors I would have never been able to add most the shirts that I did not win myself.

I also agree that there are some incredible collections out there and in many cases these collections are like whales- they bring in many pieces but rarely spit out anything.

Always buying 49er gamers and ALL 1994 49er game used items. Paying a finders fee.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

legaleagle92481
12-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Legaleagle is right to some extent as you rarely see NFL Auction items up for sale on eBay or via major auction houses. Some things do pop up but for the most part once an item is sold, it is gone.

There is an exception though and that is the buying and selling of certain high end pieces between collectors. I have been lucky enough to buy a number of 49er pieces that had been sold via NFL Auctions but only because I knew the collector who had the piece.

Both Frank Gore shirts I own were purchased from a fellow board member and for a price that was slightly higher than his purchase price. We both agreed that the sale price was fair thus the deals were completed. I don't think that the shirts would have changed hands had the price been lower as the original owner could have just as easily kept the jerseys.

I have sold 3 or 4 and have purchased at least 8 49ers NFL Auction gamers to other collectors. None of these jerseys would have shown up on eBay or in an auction thus giving the appearance that the jerseys are still with their original owners.

Considering that NFL Auctions has been selling gamers since 2001, the overall availability of 95% of the hundreds of jerseys sold is extremely low. Without a "network" of collectors I would have never been able to add most the shirts that I did not win myself.

I also agree that there are some incredible collections out there and in many cases these collections are like whales- they bring in many pieces but rarely spit out anything.

Always buying 49er gamers and ALL 1994 49er game used items. Paying a finders fee.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Not surprising. I think once you get to the level that you can spend 5k on a jersey, your obviously doing very well financially and if you can afford an item and enjoy having it in your collection I can't see why someone would move it unless the price was right. I do this myself. Every item in my collection is available for the right price. At times I will dump lower end stuff on Ebay because I am tired of looking at it but absent unforeseen financial problems I will never sell my high end stuff much of which is from NFL Auctions for less than the right price, which is well north of what I paid for it.

thosler
12-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to sell an Arrelious Benn Tampa Bay Buccaneers pro cut jersey from the 2010 season. Originally purchased through NFL Auctions. Comes with certificate of authenticity.

Shoot me an email if anyone is interested.

timhosler@gmail.com

Thanks,
Tim