PDA

View Full Version : ARod's hip injury explained by a doctor

joelsabi
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
contributing article from a doctor on ARod's hip injury.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1432199-alex-rodriguez-details-about-his-hip-injury-and-surgery

ARod is 99 hits away from 3000. I had anticipated it occurring this coming season but now it's going to be a close call.

coxfan
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I seem to recall that when he opted out and then back into his NYY contract, he said he wanted to break the career HR record as a Yankee. But when all the (poorly-founded) media speculation went on about his possibly being traded after the 2012 ALCS, I didn't hear the HR record mentioned. Is that looking more uncertain now?

kellsox
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I seem to recall that when he opted out and then back into his NYY contract, he said he wanted to break the career HR record as a Yankee. But when all the (poorly-founded) media speculation went on about his possibly being traded after the 2012 ALCS, I didn't hear the HR record mentioned. Is that looking more uncertain now?
If you thought he really wanted to do it as a Yankee you're crazy. He wanted to do it where he could make the most $ , it just happened to be in ny. They gave him bonuses for milestones that he was expected to reach.

joelsabi
12-04-2012, 12:42 PM

if you read article, it mentions that 95% of the athlete that have undergone such an operation recover from it and perform at their past level. i think chase utley is a good indicator of what to expect as he had the surgery in recent memory. havent really followed utleys progress tho.

he has a no trade clause so its arods decision where he plays until the contract expires. he is a hard work off the field so hoping the strengthening exercise prior to surgery and the recovery period will be at a minimum.

hip surgery has always seemed bad news to hear ever since Bo Jackson so I thought I would post the link from a doctor.

writers dont write about the hr record until its close at hand and its no longer a sure thing as arod has suffered some injuries, some of which he could not control (wrist injury from hit ball)

coxfan
12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all comments. My specific question has been why the media recently speculated that the Yankees might trade him; given that they might pay millions to another club, just to see him break the HR record in another uniform! I suspect that fact alone will make the Yankees refuse to consider trading him, while the possibility of breaking the HR record still exists.

suave1477
12-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all comments. My specific question has been why the media recently speculated that the Yankees might trade him; given that they might pay millions to another club, just to see him break the HR record in another uniform! I suspect that fact alone will make the Yankees refuse to consider trading him, while the possibility of breaking the HR record still exists.

Well this is an open ended question I say that because there are many reasons.

First lets start with the obvious - Get rid of him because he is not performing well.
The speculation could be true as I heard at some point in an interview somewhere Cashman say that he is considering all options (referring to AROD)
He might break which home run record??? He at this point of his career due to age and now injury is not on any path to breaking any real significant record at this point. Unless he talks to his cousin again who supplies the locals with (prescription drugs:p) then its a far chance.

Now lets say for some strange he does make it to some of these milestones and the Yankees have traded him. I dont know the exact wording of it but it may stipulate to get paid on the milestones it would have to be in a Yankees uniform. So they may have an out of having to pay that altogether.
Now as far as $$$ amount on the milestones from my best memory I dont remember them being in Baseball salary eyes anything so major especially for AROD I think its something like a couple of million per milestone.

Imagine how much the Yankees lose if they keep him. He ends up taking up a major spot on the roster and doesnt perform well. So by keeping him you lose more. He has not been compared to Eric Chavez both do well defensively both are borderline ok offense. The difference is Chavez gets paid 1/20th for the same performance as AROD.

You can put AROD into DH, but then where will Jeter go? Jeter is not going to hold up for much longer and the Yankees are not going to let the FACE of the Yankees go that quick. So you keep AROD at third??? Where it can be useful to put an young up and coming star in that position. Or do you put him in the outfield?? Which personally I cannot see him playing that position.

Well unfortunately this is not something we will be able to see happen anytime soon or know for sure. It will be something that will play out over the next season or 2.

coxfan
12-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Very good analysis of the Yankee's potential gain/losses. It's right that the next couple of years will tell a lot. If I did my numbers correctly, A-Rod will need to average just over 24 HR's and just over 69 RBI over the next 5 years to reach Bonds and Aaron, respectively, for the career records in those categories. Those are still feasible, but less certain than they looked when his contract was signed.

But I don't think we should assume that the Yankees will act as other clubs might. The late George Steinbrenner would've been hot to try to return the HR record to the Yankees since Ruth's record was eclipsed in 1974. It's hard to imagine him trading away any chance at that; so it remains to be seen how the next generation will act. And A-Rod may well see his future post-retrirement opportunities (signings, etc.) being enhanced by staying in the big market. It'll be an interesting story to follow.

suave1477
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Very good analysis of the Yankee's potential gain/losses. It's right that the next couple of years will tell a lot. If I did my numbers correctly, A-Rod will need to average just over 24 HR's and just over 69 RBI over the next 5 years to reach Bonds and Aaron, respectively, for the career records in those categories. Those are still feasible, but less certain than they looked when his contract was signed.

But I don't think we should assume that the Yankees will act as other clubs might. The late George Steinbrenner would've been hot to try to return the HR record to the Yankees since Ruth's record was eclipsed in 1974. It's hard to imagine him trading away any chance at that; so it remains to be seen how the next generation will act. And A-Rod may well see his future post-retrirement opportunities (signings, etc.) being enhanced by staying in the big market. It'll be an interesting story to follow.

AROD would need to average just over 24 and right now at this stage he is not even doing 20. Last year he did 18 and the year before 16. Lets say he hwas one or 2 more break out years and gets up to 25 and maybe 30. Chances are they will be fluke seasons for him because of injuries and age is catching up to him and slowing down. I would say his next 5 seasons (coming back from surgery feeling better than ever) he averages 20 to 25 over the next 3 seasons.

He is not the threat he once was and pitchers have a lot more confidence over him which plays a huge part. I cannot tell you how many times I watched games last seasons where pitchers would over and over walk the guy in front of Arod, Just to get to AROD because they knew he was a sure out.

As far as Steinbrenner yes he loved the, the legacy, the legends, and the history of the Yankees. But he was always a business man first and a smart one. He would not chance to lose 125 Million dollars to just hope that a guy can break a record, which again really doesn't show in the cards.

As far as the new generation of Steinbrenners they do show some of there fathers attributes but they seem a bit softer.

jake33
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Alex is also 99 hits away from 3,000

With the injurgy, looks like it will be 2014 when he will get that milestone.

Alex will most likely get the homerun record, espcially if he is less than 50 away at age 40. It will be worth it to him to play for a veteran minimum for a season to get that record.

---

To me it is interesting that for his entire career I never liked him. Especially early on when he was over hyped and crammed down baseball fans' throats. I thought he was always a jerk when we were being told otherwise. But now that he is viewed by many as tainted, he seems less awful to me for some reason. More than anything, i think it was that I wanted to see him get exposed for who he was.

joelsabi
12-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Alex is also 99 hits away from 3,000

With the injurgy, looks like it will be 2014 when he will get that milestone.

Alex will most likely get the homerun record, espcially if he is less than 50 away at age 40. It will be worth it to him to play for a veteran minimum for a season to get that record.

---
To me it is interesting that for his entire career I never liked him. Especially early on when he was over hyped and crammed down baseball fans' throats. I thought he was always a jerk when we were being told otherwise. But now that he is viewed by many as tainted, he seems less awful to me for some reason. More than anything, i think it was that I wanted to see him get exposed for who he was.

There were thoughts of him being the first player to hit 800 HR when he was the youngest to hit 500 HR. He never suffered any serious injuries at that point. But the same was said about Griffey and then he became very injury prone. Griffey never had hip problem tho and thats where you get your power from the torque just like in swinging in golf for distance so I think ARod injury could be more problematic if it lingers.

The incentive are there for the period of the contract and that should motivate Rodriguez, if anything can, to do it within that time period. Passing Mays, Ruth, Aaron, tying Bonds and passing Bonds. Each time he does one of these HR feats he receives six million from the Yankees.

I hope ARod is respectful when his contract is up if he still need more AB to surpass Bonds. I still don't understand why the Yankees didn't rescind the contract after he admitted PED use but since they let it ride I assume they want to keep Rodriguez. Veteran minimum is probably asking too much but yeah a discount is in order. By that time Jeter will have a contract extension with Milestone incentives to pass Cobb and Rose in hits so its going to be difficult to get at bats for both if Jeter and ARod start showing their age. Jeter was looking promising until he hurt himself this year. Writers estimate Jeter would be 45 when and if he catches Rose.

coxfan
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
A whopping $6,000,000 for each of several milestones would seem to be a major complication in any question of a trade. Would the Yankees, who would probably have to kick in salary anyway in a trade, also be willing to shell out that much money every time he hits a milestone for another club (bringing that publicity to that other club)? Would a receiving club be willing to shell out that much? A-Rod would certainly veto any trade that didn't retain the bonuses from somebody.

That's why I remain mystified that the commentators who were arguing for a trade after the ALCS ignored this whole milestone issue.

suave1477
12-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Thats because there is no milestone issue. Again it is not for certain he is going to reach or any of them. His getting older and, starting to get injuries, his numbers are dropping quick and as I mentioned before if he happens have one more break out season I still do not see him hitting enough to break the records.Maybe the first record but I doubt the rest.

And again the stipulation in his contract I am sure would state that the Yankees will give him the bonuses only while in a Yankees uniform.

They are not going to let him go to another team and still pat for his milestones