PDA

View Full Version : R. VENTURA g/u Jersey(con't)

Swoboda4
10-28-2006, 07:11 AM
In a past thread it was brought up for disscussion whether Robin Ventura tapered the bottom of his jerseys. A current auction offers a Chicago Ventura home pinstripe jersey that appears to tapered after manufacture. Two questions. Does anyone know if Robin Ventura perferred to have his jersey shortened? And,when there's an additional label noting "tapered" is that done after the player receives the order because in this case it looks to be tailored after manufacture.
http://i8.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/af/23/2a_3.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230043987663&indexURL=2#ebayphotohosting

kingjammy24
10-28-2006, 02:44 PM
robert,

it seems i'm missing something here. why do you think this jersey was tapered after having been manufactured/received by the player?

the "tapered" flag is added by the manufacturer.

rudy.

Swoboda4
10-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Rudy,When you enlarge the photo of the jersey the hem at the bottom looks like its done privately.I have a Ventura Mets jersey that's shortened and tapered straight across(same kind of stiching). I got it from B+E collectibles. I've brought to "Stitches"(who does the Mets jerseys) and they stated they didn't taper it. I believe i've seen a Ventura once before with a straight across hem at the bottom. Needless to say I'll feel more comfortable if another collector has seen another. This current auction is labeled tapered and doesn't look done at the factory. So I'm hoping that this is a preference of Ventura seen elsewhere.

kingjammy24
10-28-2006, 06:00 PM
hi robert,

unless i'm mistaken, tapering has nothing to do with the bottom of a jersey. when a jersey is tapered, it's taken in at the sides of the body for the purpose of having a narrower fit towards the waist.

a jersey can be tapered regardless of whether the bottom is cut straight across or not.

rickey henderson was known for having extremely tapered jerseys with straight cut bottoms.

rudy.

Swoboda4
10-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I got you.Tapered has nothing to do with the hem-bottom portion of the jersey. Maybe I want to see something that's not there but the bottom of the jersey doesn't look tightly sewn. It looks like what my Mother's sewing would look like ,not done by a commercial machine. I'm just looking for more proof that the shortening that was done on my jersey is consistent with some of Ventura's jerseys. I'll photograph my jersey and show what I mean. Thanks