PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too sensitive?

Shipp_96
11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
So four times now in the past three months I have had members on here approach me about items I was not at the time selling (or advertising as selling) in personal emails, only to have them not purchase the item.

Now yes, there is a part of me that is happy to retain the item in my collection. But here's the point to my rant: THEY approached me, I did not approach them with the solicitation. On every occasion I initially told them all I am not interested in selling said item, but they persisted in pursuing it. In three of the four occasions after multiple emails, getting me to agree to sell it and mentally preparing to lose the item from my collection they dropped out all together. So am I wrong in finding this rude? Or am I simply being whiny and too sensitive :rolleyes:?

Keep in mind in every instance I was polite, willingly to discuss it in multiple correspondences and was only looking for what I paid ($300 or less each time shipped) in return. If you are going to approach me about a game worn football helmet, and then beg me to sell it to you I assume you have $250-$300 available. Or at the very least would negotiate a price. Anyone on here who have dealt with me know I am not firm on prices and usually will come down $30-$50 if I think it's fair. Again, they came to me. Maybe I am just venting because it's happened so much lately, or possibly I'm annoyed in general with the time wasting element of it. This is not directed at any one member in particular but more at the pattern of behavior.

I actually posted this because I welcome others opinions and if it has been happening to you also? I cannot imagine it is an isolated incident with me.

I also wanted to thank Blitzmaster as the sole person who did approach me on multiple occasions, and each time we were able to make a deal via a sale or a trade.

sarahsdad
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
So four times now in the past three months I have had members on here approach me about items I was not at the time selling (or advertising as selling) in personal emails, only to have them not purchase the item.

Now yes, there is a part of me that is happy to retain the item in my collection. But here's the point to my rant: THEY approached me, I did not approach them with the solicitation. On every occasion I initially told them all I am not interested in selling said item, but they persisted in pursuing it. In three of the four occasions after multiple emails, getting me to agree to sell it and mentally preparing to lose the item from my collection they dropped out all together. So am I wrong in finding this rude? Or am I simply being whiny and too sensitive :rolleyes:?

Keep in mind in every instance I was polite, willingly to discuss it in multiple correspondences and was only looking for what I paid ($300 or less each time shipped) in return. If you are going to approach me about a game worn football helmet, and then beg me to sell it to you I assume you have $250-$300 available. Or at the very least would negotiate a price. Anyone on here who have dealt with me know I am not firm on prices and usually will come down $30-$50 if I think it's fair. Again, they came to me. Maybe I am just venting because it's happened so much lately, or possibly I'm annoyed in general with the time wasting element of it. This is not directed at any one member in particular but more at the pattern of behavior.

I actually posted this because I welcome others opinions and if it has been happening to you also? I cannot imagine it is an isolated incident with me.

I also wanted to thank Blitzmaster as the sole person who did approach me on multiple occasions, and each time we were able to make a deal via a sale or a trade.

More tire kicking. There was a recent thread on here about this topic. Its rampant. People with a lot of time on their hands and nothing better to do then to waste other people's time. It's a shame.
Sarahsdad

slab0meat
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
People initiating the possible sale of an item that you're not selling, then agreeing to buy, then not buying, is extremely rude.

yosef777
11-10-2012, 08:43 AM
I too have been approached to sell items and have had verbal argeements in place only to receive no further communication or been given ridiculously low offers, etc. but it comes with the territory as far as I am concerned. This is a hobby that I partake in for the enjoyment not something that is a money making business or my livilihood so although it can be annoying I don't take it personal when things like this happen. I also understand there is a process we go through in order to part with certain items but perhaps we should be mindful not to 'count our chickens before they hatch' as it is not a sale until both parties are satisfied/happy in my opinion.

The other side of the spectrum is when sellers list things on ebay (or other places) only wanting offers or seeking values, estimates, etc. with no intention of selling. A few months ago I saw an item on ebay, gave the seller my contact info email, phone, etc. and discussed the item in question. (BTW, the seller never gave me his phone #, it was always blocked when he called me, but wanted me to send him only cash or a money order?!?)
The seller decides to end the auction early but says he only wants to trade NOT sell the item in question. We continue the conversation and I mention another item the seller has that I may be interested in purchasing as well, with the idea that I may use this secondary purchase to 'break the ice' with the seller and also 'open the door' to allow the purchase of the initial item in question. The seller agrees to sell the second item and HE volunteers to hold the item for a month or two with no obligations from me only a communication if I decide not to purchase.
After repeated emails from myself to the seller during the two month hold interval in which I tell the seller he is free to sell to another buyer anytime he wants if you get an offer, (I understand cash in hand is better than a promise on the other end). I then express my interest in the initial item as well as the secondary item and ask the seller if he would reconsider selling not trading for the initial item I contacted him in regards to a few months earlier. The seller tells me sorry the inital item has been sold (NOT traded)?!? Okay, your item you can do what you want but two months ago the seller was teling me how money wasn't a big deal to him he would rather keep the item thans sell it for cash. (Still trying to figure out why he listed it on ebay in the first place?!?)
I explained to the seller I am still willing to purchase the secondary item with the condition that I can return it if not satisfied OR if he has another seller (which he claimed he did) he can sell it to them.
Seller is visibly upset by my conditional request and goes on forum crying how he can't believe this can happen. What he forgets/neglects to mention is what I included in the paragraphs above. I don't understand why the sour grapes when the communication has been forthright and open AND you still made a sale either way (either to me or to your 'other buyer')?!?

sox83cubs84
11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
. (BTW, the seller never gave me his phone #, it was always blocked when he called me, but wanted me to send him only cash or a money order)?!?

I had a uniform restorer (NOT Lon Lewis) make a similar request...cash or postal MO only. In his case, the guy ran a sporting goods buisness, and wanted the requested payments to avoid paying income taxes on the money.

Dave Miedema