PDA

View Full Version : Ever regret passing on an item?

Vikingshelmetguy
11-06-2012, 11:19 PM
In the past, and very recently, I hesitated and/or passed up the chance to acquire a game worn item, and it ended going to another buyer. Afterwards I have had deep and lingering regret that I didn't buy the item when I had the chance. I am wondering how other collectors deal with the regret of a lost chance/opportunity??

joelsabi
11-06-2012, 11:25 PM
In the past, and very recently, I hesitated and/or passed up the chance to acquire a game worn item, and it ended going to another buyer. Afterwards I have had deep and lingering regret that I didn't buy the item when I had the chance. I am wondering how other collectors deal with the regret of a lost chance/opportunity??

it has happen to me but i usually don't linger on it too much. what bothers me more is when i lose track of who is the new owner. the new system on ebay makes it more difficult to know who is the new owner since the username is scrambled and auction house will not disclose the name of the new owner because of privacy issues.

Dewey2007
11-06-2012, 11:32 PM
On eBay, go to the sellers feedback. If the buyer leaves feedback, that's how I always find out who the winner of an item was.

it has happen to me but i usually don't linger on it too much. what bothers me more is when i lose track of who is the new owner. the new system on ebay makes it more difficult to know who is the new owner since the username is scrambled and auction house will not disclose the name of the new owner because of privacy issues.

joelsabi
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
On eBay, go to the sellers feedback. If the buyer leaves feedback, that's how I always find out who the winner of an item was.

True. But nowadays many sellers wait for the buyer to leave feedback which doesnt always happen. I try to email the seller if no ebay is left. Sometimes you get lucky and the seller discloses the new owner. I have asked several auction houses and they are willing to forward information to the new owner but the new owner, rightly so, are not obligated to disclose who they are.

3arod13
11-07-2012, 05:38 AM

What I do is save the auction in my watch list. When the auction is over, I wait for the seller and buyer to leave each other feedback. Once they do, you can see their ebay ID and now you know.

3arod13
11-07-2012, 05:38 AM
What I do is save the auction in my watch list. When the auction is over, I wait for the seller and buyer to leave each other feedback. Once they do, you can see their ebay ID and now you know.

Wow! Guess I should have read the entire thread, before posting (lol)

3arod13
11-07-2012, 05:40 AM

Many times! I have sold pieces in my personal collection that I never thought I would, just to get the money to pay for that high dollar piece I wanted, and couldn't afford at the time. Those are the times I regret doing it. But when I look at the new piece I got, I then get over it :)

helmets
11-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Let me guess.. A Vikings suspension helmet offered through a semi-popular auction house.

I have never laid awake in bed at night pissed that I paid too much for an item, however I have done so over not buying an item that I really wanted and someone else did so. Then there is the constant thoughts in your head of the lost item and the wasted energy of trying to track it down, and then in the rare event that you find it, then often times having to pay an over inflated price to obtain it. Better just to take a deep breath, bend over, pull the trigger, buy it, and live happily ever after.

woody1351
11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
ya and I dont know who has it. that is the worst part, if i knew i would send them an email to let me know when they want to sell it.

AWA85
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
The only thing that still lingers in my head, is the Barry Larkin University of Michigan game used jersey...... :cool: Went back and forth and didn't pull the trigger after a few other big purchases around the same time period.

Shipp_96
11-07-2012, 11:09 AM
An ARMY football camo helmet. I missed the first batch that were auctioned off by the Academy and they had one left to sell. They even advertised it as such and I put in a decent bid but made no effort to win it at the end and only lost by $50. I have paid way more for helmets I did not like as much since then and that one still lingers.

CampWest
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
A few months back I had been following an item on eBay that I really really wanted - and the only one of that player that I've seen in several years. Unfortunately, I was convinced the opening bid was too high at $220 shipped. I thought for sure it's value was in the $75-150 range. I know I have to be one of just a handful of people interested in that particular jersey. I let the auction run down and go without a bid. I waited a week for the seller to relist at a lower opening. It never came. So I emailed the seller asking if it would be relisted and offering to buy it for $150. No response. I have followed up with about 4 more emails to the seller in the last 9 months asking if its available and what they want for it and have gotten absolutely no response. So now I regret not just paying the extra $50.

Oh well. Snooze ya lose.

mad87man
11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
yes i also regret buying something and not having money for other stuff

Vikingshelmetguy
11-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Let me guess.. A Vikings suspension helmet offered through a semi-popular auction house.

Actually, Helmets, it was not a Vikings suspension helmet offered through a semi-popular auction house.... It was a modern era Vikings helmet offered for sale on JO Sports that had been for sale for months at a very high price. Then JO Sports suddenly dramatically lowered the price on a "Deal of the Day" discount... I hesitated and I let a couple days pass before I decided to go and buy it, and it ended being sold to another buyer. I'm regretting that I cheaped out and hesitated... Still frustrated with myself for not purchasing that helmet when I had the chance....

Falcon
11-08-2012, 12:52 AM
For me, it's passing on a black alternate Falcons Matt Ryan jersey JO had. Always wondered who bought it...

legaleagle92481
11-08-2012, 12:56 AM
dont look back look forward. we have all missed out on stuff for various reasons. rather than dwell on it just look to finding the next one. even if you never see the item again noone can have them all. so don't fret it.

solarlottry
11-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Even though I tend to agree with legaleagle and am always looking for the next good addition to the collection, I still regret a number of pieces that I have passed on, sold or was outbid on.

First is a 1994 Steve Young non-throwback home gamer with team letter that i had won on ebay but sent back after I was unable to photo-match it. Several weeks later, i found a match but the shirt had been resold. Turns out it ended up in the hands of Panini and now is in swatches in several hundred different collections. What a waste!!!

Secondly I am always on the lookout for parts of my collection that I sold back in 1999. I have managed to find and repurchase 3 of the gamers but there are still a good number out there that I hope to locate. A 1998 home TO with nice use and repairs, a 1993 Jaime Williams 49ers gamer with team letter, a 1994 Deion Sanders away throwback with team letter, a Brent Jones 94 non throwback home gamer with team letter and a 94 Rickey Jackson home non throwback with team letter are all on my radar!

If anyone has any leads as to the whereabouts of any of the above gamers, or any other 49er gamers for that matter, please shoot me an email!!!

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49er game worn items! Paying a finders fee for quality information that leads to a sale.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Vikingshelmetguy
11-08-2012, 10:23 AM
First is a 1994 Steve Young non-throwback home gamer with team letter that i had won on ebay but sent back after I was unable to photo-match it. Several weeks later, i found a match but the shirt had been resold. Turns out it ended up in the hands of Panini and now is in swatches in several hundred different collections. What a waste!!!

Paul/Solarlottry: Your story about the 1994 Steve Young 49ers home game jersey is truly gut-wrenching and agonizing. It almost makes me want to cry. How horrific to have had that jersey in your hands, then later finding a photo match after you had sent it back, and then finally finding out that they jersey ended up being cut up into swatches by Panini.... That's really a bummer... Makes my sad story about passing up on a helmet I could have had seem trivial and insignificant....

cohibasmoker
11-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Sure but with eBay, "IT" may show up the next day, next week or next Month. Sooner or later, the item(s) we missed with be replaced with another spectacular item.

Jim

Klattsy
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I only think about the ones i've missed when there is nothing in the market that interests me for a while. Then I start pondering.

There is a couple of items in particular, a Travis Blackley glove, a Grant Balfour jersey that I passed on and missed out respectively. Hoping they show up again one day (hi Mat!).

MikeSharon
11-10-2012, 09:22 AM
At a show in houston in 1990 Reese Ryan was set up selling stuff mostly auto but a few game used items of his dads and he had a 1969 mets world series trophy with the brass plate on the bottom reading NOLAN RYAN he wanted $3000 i have a few regrets about that even 22 years later i was only 16 at the time but still remember that missed opportunity

soxbats
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I collect red sox bats and over the years there have been a few that slipped away that I regret, a John Wyatt auto'd 1967 WS bat springs to mind!, but it was an auction in the early 90s that still haunts me. At the time I had just decided that the goal of my collection was going to be a bat of every position player for the red sox from 1960 to the present. I had a list of about 200 players needed at the time and Centerfield Collectibles (a long since deceased auction house) was selling the Paul Hill collection which included 1200 game used bats of some of the most obscure major leaguers. There were a number of bats in that auction from players of the 60s that I needed, but I wanted to find the more well know players first.

Flash forward to today. I need about 10 bats to complete my collection (mostly obscure guys from the 60s) and 5 of the bats I need were sold in those Paul Hill auctions. I had circled them in the catalogs and even called for price update during the auction and noted the current price on the catalog but concluded that I should spend the money elsewqhere. I cannot fathom what I was thinking and to this day I take those catalogs out and torture myself about it.

I have a simple rule, if you can afford it (and I mean that sincerely a collection should not create financial difficulty or marital unrest), don't pass on an item that you really want. Better to pay a bit extra or buy the big item. Even if you sell it later for a bit of a loss because of paying that $50 more, you still got the enjoyment of the hunt and you may never see it ever, ever, ever again.

If you ever run across a Luis Alvarado, Ray Boone, Carmen Fanzone, Ray Webster, Chuck Goggin, Ken Poulsen, Felix Mantilla, or Ron Jackson bat drop me a line.

Jeff

soxbats@aol.com
follw me on twitter @soxbats as I tweet a half century of red sox baseball bats, birthday by birthday!

staindsox
11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
If you ever run across a Luis Alvarado, Ray Boone, Carmen Fanzone, Ray Webster, Chuck Goggin, Ken Poulsen, Felix Mantilla, or Ron Jackson bat drop me a line.

Is this one from August?
http://jul12.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=47002

Vikingshelmetguy
11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I cannot fathom what I was thinking and to this day I take those catalogs out and torture myself about it.

Jeff/Soxbats, I am doing the same thing right now: Continually torturing myself by going back to look at the JO photos photos of the helmet I passed on. It's driving me crazy! I can't fathom what I was thinking! That's why I started this discussion thread. It's actually therapeutic and helpful to me that others, like you, are sharing similar experiences and disappointments....

yankees506
11-10-2012, 07:40 PM
All Robbie cano bats from 2005-2008 where $200 or less. If only I had a time machine :D :rolleyes:

Dewey2007
11-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I haven't been in this hobby nearly as long as some forum members but if you stay in it long enough you will always have some kind of regret about the one you let get away. It's almost inevitable.

I have a few but one that comes to mind right now is a Ken Harvey Redskins jersey that was on eBay a few years back. I thought the asking price was to high at the time and I didn't go for it. I think it went unsold or maybe someone bought it off eBay after the listing ended but I have never seen the jersey again or any Ken Harvey jersey for that matter. I wish I had picked it up then because he is one Cal Bears alum I would love to have a jersey of for my collection.

There will always be someone out there with a bigger checkbook then me so I have come to realize, as frustrating as it might be sometimes, that I can't win them all.

soxbats
11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Is this one from August?
http://jul12.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=47002

Stained, that just Killed me. I am laying flat on my back. Of course I checked that auction but did not think to look outside of all the Huggins and Scott categories for game used. This lot was listed elsewhere in the auction, not in game used. ARGGHHH. Add this to the list of painful misses!