PDA

View Full Version : lint on a game used bat...any good methods to remove?

Dewey2007
11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Recieved a bat today from an eBay seller who shipped a bat with fresh pinetar on it wrapped in a white sock. This guy looks like he sells a lot of bats and should know better. Sometimes I wonder if people do this sh*t on purpose?

Anyone have a good method to get the lint off since I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to. Considering returning the bat because of it but thought I'd check first to see if anyone else has had any past success removing it w/o damaging/altering the bat to much. Thinking of trying tape but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks!

abstractheory
11-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Wow, that's rough man.....Some people just don't think things through. Nothing worse than paying for, and waiting for, an item you are excited for, only to have to 'fix' a mistake because of carelessness. Although, he probably had good intentions if he took the time to put a sock over it...Just not a very smart one.

I'm at a loss for suggestions because I would hate to mess with the integrity of the tar with a suggestion, especially if the bat has been photo-matched.

Good luck!

abstractheory
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Maybe a small amount of "Goo Gone", lightly rubbed on the areas to help loosen the lint might work. I love that stuff!

emann
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I've used clear packing tape to get lint/fuzz out of dried pine tar, but not on tar that is still sticky. Maybe try it on a small spot to make sure it doesn't pull the tar off.

I have returned bats due to this. I also got a bat from a well-known dealer who wrapped it in bubble-wrap and by the time it got to me the tar was covered in little round spots. My guess was it heated up in transit and the dried tar heated up and formed to the shape of the bubbles.

I wouldn't do goo-gone, it'll dissolve the tar.

abstractheory
11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah, good point, emann....DON'T use Goo Gone.

Like I said, It's gonna be hard not to disrupt the integrity of the tar. Maybe sending it back is your best option if the tape suggestion fails.

WadeInBmore
11-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Exacto knife? Cut it out? That's a tough one. Total bummer. Good luck.

Wade

gameused
11-06-2012, 11:10 PM
tweezers will work with foam packing.....might take some time with lint.....Good luck!

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25173&highlight=Pine+tar+peanuts

joelsabi
11-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I would go with the tweezer too. it's unobtrusive, like delicate surgery.

marino13
11-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I had one of those bats - I gave UP on trying to clean it.

But it annoyed the crap out of me.