PDA

View Full Version : Forum member does not like tire kickers, but will jerk you around!

camarokids
11-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I have purchased a few items from this member. A **** Glove & **** Homerun bat.

All was fine when he is the seller. But when he is the buyer it is a different story.

Twice this member has emailed me, set a price to buy some items, then refuses to respond back! I guess he is a tire kicker himself who makes deals and doesn't keep his word!

Here is copy & paste from his ad:

"Please email if interested in pix, but serious inquiries only as I don’t havetime to send out pix to tire kickers or low ball offers prices do not include shipping".

Tony Montana said " a man who isn't true to his word, is a cockroach"!

A few of the email correspondence below.

HIS:Ok, ill have to think about that I have about $300 to spend right now

Mine:I would do all the gear for $300 if you send as a gift. ******** is my paypal or add $10 to help with shipping....

HIS:"I'll pass I would do $225 on the gear or $320 on The lot"

Have not heard back since. He did the same thing before a few months ago.

sarahsdad
11-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately you are correct. This Forum is full of tire kickers. For those of you who were Forum members 5-6 years ago you remember the glory days of this Forum. It has declined in visibility and in prominence. There are people on here now trolling. Not real serious buyers but more interested in adding to their picture library. Or just get a kick out of making others jump through hoops. Recently, there was a post from a Forum member looking for a game used Chipper Jones jersey. I have one. And it came straight from Chipper's family. Sent him the pics and a great price as well. He replies, "I want it to be MLB authenticated" If you would have put that in your original post it would have saved us both time. The MLB authenticated requirement gets communicated to me after the pics and price are sent. Same thing with a guy wanting a Jim Edmonds GU bat. I got one of those, too. And it is autographed. Shot him pics and a great price. But he passes. No reason given. 2 examples of tire kickers. I got plenty more. I won't even post items for sale on this site anymore because of this very reason. I will list it on Ebay or private sell it. This Forum is not what it used to be.

kellsox
11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
At least you get responses. It's happened too often on this forum where pics are requested and the potential buyer is never to be heard from again. A lot of times it is from frequent posters.

jbean023
11-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't mean to take over the post or off subject because i agree with everything said but sarahsdad is the Edmonds bat a Cubs bat? I'm looking for an Edmonds bat.

Email me at jbean023@gmail.com

Thanks

Mattapan03
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Not only is the forum changing....the hobby is changing. :(

Shipp_96
11-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I've had a mixed bag selling on here. Sold some items at decent prices and have been real happy with the overall transaction. But also have had people string me along for weeks and never come close to paying and wasted my time.

Now have I myself inquired about buying something and not wanted it because we couldn't reach an agreement on the price, or the seller was perhaps rude to me? Yes that has happened once or twice. But overall when I have decided to commit to offering a price I have gone thru and purchased the item.

However, to me the "tire kickers" on here are nowhere near the absolute absurd and idiotic ones you get on fleabay. I sell on there essentially out of desperation to move an item, but not by choice. So to me personally this forum does allow a nice alternative to try and sell my items.

sarahsdad
11-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Nobody strings you along on fleabay. They either bid or they don't. It is that simple. On this forum they ask for picture after picture after picture and then nothing. It has gotten comical what the tire kickers on this Forum will do. I would rather post on Ebay. If someone places a bid then I know my item will sell. I am done selling on this Forum. Not worth the hassle or the time anymore.
sarahsdad

yanks12025
11-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Net54 baseball has a game used section for people who are interested!!

sarahsdad
11-04-2012, 09:57 AM
And both sites have the same members. Some have different screen names.
sarahsdad

frikativ54
11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately you are correct. This Forum is full of tire kickers. For those of you who were Forum members 5-6 years ago you remember the glory days of this Forum. It has declined in visibility and in prominence. There are people on here now trolling. Not real serious buyers but more interested in adding to their picture library. Or just get a kick out of making others jump through hoops. Recently, there was a post from a Forum member looking for a game used Chipper Jones jersey. I have one. And it came straight from Chipper's family. Sent him the pics and a great price as well. He replies, "I want it to be MLB authenticated" If you would have put that in your original post it would have saved us both time. The MLB authenticated requirement gets communicated to me after the pics and price are sent. Same thing with a guy wanting a Jim Edmonds GU bat. I got one of those, too. And it is autographed. Shot him pics and a great price. But he passes. No reason given. 2 examples of tire kickers. I got plenty more. I won't even post items for sale on this site anymore because of this very reason. I will list it on Ebay or private sell it. This Forum is not what it used to be.

Call them "tire kickers" or what you will, but nobody is obligated to purchase anybody else's item. And I don't think that it's necessary to put "needs to be MLB authenticated" in a Want Ad.

Some people like their jerseys authenticated but don't care about their cleats. And some care about MLB authentication only if they can't find a photomatch. It's not as simple as just posting "needs to have an MLB holo" in an ad.

I've had plenty of positive experiences both buying and selling on GUU. When I sell, I understand that not everybody is going to want my item. Some of the people who ask for pictures decide that, after seeing them, that they'd rather pursue something different.

And I'm okay with that. I don't have the expectation that if I send pictures, that means that the person is contractually bound to buy from me. It's easy to take pics. And if one person doesn't respond, then you've got photos saved on your computer for the next person who is interested in your item.

As for the "glory days" of the forum, I beg to differ. When you go back into the archives, there is so much fighting and bickering. I have been on this forum long enough to remember the negative atmosphere and the same three or four members baiting and trolling one another.

The moderators ought to be applauded for removing the troublemakers off this forum. The atmosphere now is so much better for meeting people, exchanging information about items and use characteristics, and finding items you're looking for. I can't tell you how much I've learned from newer members.

kellsox
11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
I am fine with people not wanting to buy a item. It's the lack of common courtesy of a return email when pics are sent. Too many times people have sent an email stating interest in an item or asking for pictures and they are never heard from again. I simple "thanks but not interested " is all it takes.

camarokids
11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I am fine with people not wanting to buy a item. It's the lack of common courtesy of a return email when pics are sent. Too many times people have sent an email stating interest in an item or asking for pictures and they are never heard from again. I simple "thanks but not interested " is all it takes.

Exactly, well said Kellsox.

The reason for my posting, was more than a tire kicker.

The member in question is a hypocrite. He posted in his own for sale thread that he did not have time for tire kickers, then he went as far as to agree to a price with me for my items then I never hear back from him.

sarahsdad
11-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Call them "tire kickers" or what you will, but nobody is obligated to purchase anybody else's item. And I don't think that it's necessary to put "needs to be MLB authenticated" in a Want Ad.

I look at it this way. Had the buyer put that in his ad it would have saved me the time of taking pictures and emailing him. It's called Courtesy. And there is not as much of it on this Forum as there used to be. Don't you want all the details in a classified ad? I do. It helps me to decide whether or not I have what the person is looking for. And if what I have does not meet his requirements then I won't waste his time or mine. If MLB authentication is a requirement of the buyer then put that language in the post. No one likes half a story or half the information.
sarahsdad

Shipp_96
11-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Nobody strings you along on fleabay. They either bid or they don't. It is that simple. On this forum they ask for picture after picture after picture and then nothing. It has gotten comical what the tire kickers on this Forum will do. I would rather post on Ebay. If someone places a bid then I know my item will sell. I am done selling on this Forum. Not worth the hassle or the time anymore.
sarahsdad

Sorry, but I personally must completely disagree with you on this statement. I only do Buy it Now only on fleabay, and do not even accept bids. Yet regardless of how specific my ads are, I get countless questions asking me about details that are already posted and absurd offers. Then there is inevitably the person that "really seems interested" asking me email after after email for absurd ultra specific details about the item and yet NEVER buys it or even comes close. I have way more tire kickers on ebay. To the point I have actually had to start blocking certain IDs because every new listing they come out of the wood work with the same lame questions and offers, yet never really wanted to buy it.

frikativ54
11-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I look at it this way. Had the buyer put that in his ad it would have saved me the time of taking pictures and emailing him. It's called Courtesy. And there is not as much of it on this Forum as there used to be. Don't you want all the details in a classified ad?

I do agree that more information is better than less in Want Ads. I just don't understand the emphasis on taking pictures and emailing. All you've got to do is fetch the jersey, fetch the camera, snap some pics, upload the pictures, and attach them to an email. Is 10 minutes too much time to spend on a sale that will possibly generate several hundred dollars? IDK, but the time investment is worth it to me. Would I prefer if I got some response rather than no response? Sure. But if it doesn't happen, I take it in stride.

As for courtesy, did people more regularly respond to your forum-related emails five years ago than they do now?

My big pet peeve is actually on the buying side of things. I've had a few experiences where sellers will do what I call the "high pressure act." I'll respond in the Collector to Collector forum, saying that I'll likely buy an item, but that I just need to see pictures.

I literally haven't had five minutes to review photos, when I get, "Do you still want the item?" And then demand after demand to send the money, all when ten minutes have not elapsed after my initial email. I know some people need the money, but some of us have more going on than just GUU.

jppopma
11-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Are they really tire kickers or are they looking for more information to be informed buyers? I have recently had a couple jerseys that I have purchased on ebay that turn out to be missing very important details in the descriptions. Things that you would not even imagine needing to ask.

As a result, I make sure to cover all of the bases before bidding on anything. Everyone has been burned and do not want to risk being burned again. Not saying that sellers do not really know what they are selling, but its better to be safe than sorry.

I agree on the courtesy of sending back a note saying I am not interested; however I do not have the time to waste going back and forth over prices. Additionally, if the seller comes back with a bunch of attitude when I ask for clarification...the deal will be off right then and there 99% of the time and not even earn a reply.

Of course these are the rare examples, but they do happen.

bigtime59
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
As some of you may know, I have an ad running in the C2C section because I'm liquidating my collection. As most of you don't know, I also have two email files here, one called "one and done" with literally hundreds of emails from people who have requested the master list whom I've never heard from again, and one with a significantly less happy name for a couple of people who have by now received dozens of photos of dozens of jerseys and who...haven't...bought...a...damned...thing.
:mad:

trsent
11-05-2012, 12:40 AM
As some of you may know, I have an ad running in the C2C section because I'm liquidating my collection. As most of you don't know, I also have two email files here, one called "one and done" with literally hundreds of emails from people who have requested the master list whom I've never heard from again, and one with a significantly less happy name for a couple of people who have by now received dozens of photos of dozens of jerseys and who...haven't...bought...a...damned...thing.

17,000 views on your sale thread, shouldn't everything have sold by now?

I hope you are well.

slab0meat
11-06-2012, 11:12 AM

I remember emailing you way back when for pics of a few jerseys, and did get back to me.. weeks (or a month?) later. I remember responding, saying how I'd forgotten that I even asked for these pics and bought other stuff in the meantime.

Not saying you or others aren't quite busy, but maybe you're on some people's "one and done" due to untimely replies?

And on a general note, shouldn't the sellers here just POST THE PICTURES IN THE FOR SALE THREAD? Sure, if you list 20 items in one, that may be a different story, but for one or a few items, it is NOT hard to have a personal site with pictures uploaded (Flickr?) and just link to them in the for sale thread? Why make the potential buyer do the work?

xpress34
11-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I remember emailing you way back when for pics of a few jerseys, and did get back to me.. weeks (or a month?) later. I remember responding, saying how I'd forgotten that I even asked for these pics and bought other stuff in the meantime.

Not saying you or others aren't quite busy, but maybe you're on some people's "one and done" due to untimely replies?

And on a general note, shouldn't the sellers here just POST THE PICTURES IN THE FOR SALE THREAD? Sure, if you list 20 items in one, that may be a different story, but for one or a few items, it is NOT hard to have a personal site with pictures uploaded (Flickr?) and just link to them in the for sale thread? Why make the potential buyer do the work?

Slab -

I agree with you, but I've posted pictures in my ads before or put in links to my Photo Bucket and STILL had people requesting pictures or asking questions that could have been answered if they looked at the pictures.

I think some people just want to feel catered to.

- Smitty

slab0meat
11-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Slab -

I agree with you, but I've posted pictures in my ads before or put in links to my Photo Bucket and STILL had people requesting pictures or asking questions that could have been answered if they looked at the pictures.

I think some people just want to feel catered to.

- Smitty

Right, I hear you.. not every statement covers 100% of the sellers/buyers, but it seems "email for pics" is more prevalent. Maybe it just feels that way.