PDA

View Full Version : A Grail item at auction, but in question - Buccaneers

jake33
11-03-2012, 08:55 AM
For eyars I have been lookign for a game used bucs super bowl 37 jersey with no such luck, until a pawn shop listed this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-SUPER-BOWL-XXXVII-GAME-USED-Jersey-Chuck-Darby-91-NFL-Tampa-Bay-Bucs-w-LOA-/321016070455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe0c8137

Being a slightly obssesive Bucs fan, I wen through game footage for about 2 hours last night to find a match and haven't had luck. THe sleeves jsut do not look accurate to me at all. Too long and too loose on the cuff.

Plus I bought a game used item from that same player years ago and while it was legit he wrote up the coa incorrectly authenticating it to a different game and season, while I bought a dead on photo match of the jersey a year prior.

I called the pawn shop selling the item on ebay. There is no way for me to know if the jersey is legit unless I took it out of the frame and went over it. For goodness sake, what if I took it out of the frame and there wasn't even a super bowl 37 patch on it. I will be curious to see how they would handle such a return.

I have several questions on the jersey that I will post the sellers repsonse later, including the company who put that jersey in the frame was know for putting a issued jerseys in frames and calling them game used. That company is no longer in business in Hudson, Florida.

ironmanfan
11-03-2012, 09:21 AM
FWIW, I wouldn't purchase anything from that seller

jake33
11-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks Ironclad... I recall someone had an issue in the past, do you have any further details?

ironmanfan
11-03-2012, 10:15 AM
The seller has been proven both on TV and via a hobby publication to shill his auctions....It would be very difficult for me to support a business who engages in those activities.

Jeffredsfan
11-03-2012, 11:07 AM
FWIW, I wouldn't purchase anything from that seller

I fully agree with Bill. This guy is a hustler and much of his stuff is suspect at best.

jake33
11-03-2012, 12:38 PM
That bites.

I called this mronind and they told me to call monday. I wonder how they would feel about their return policy if I bought it, then out of the frame and examined it.

I am sure they would make me cover return shipping costs, which is a gauge.

trsent
11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
That bites.

I called this mronind and they told me to call monday. I wonder how they would feel about their return policy if I bought it, then out of the frame and examined it.

I am sure they would make me cover return shipping costs, which is a gauge.

Ask if they will ship it without the frame before making an offer - That way you can ask for reduced shipping. I always prefer to buy most jerseys unframed for various reasons.

Isn't this Broadway Rick's Strike Zone? I always assumed that is what BRSZ stood for.

jake33
11-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I am going to ask if they have or will take the jersye out of the frame and examine it/take photos of it that way.

That is quite a leap of faith to buy a jersey without viewing the entire thing first, just becasue it comes in a frame.

jake33
11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
THe other thing is theya re listing a Jamie Duncan jersye as "game used" but it was made by Wilson and it is lineman cut.

Jamie Duncan's rookie year was 1998 and the first year the Bucs used ADIDAS jerseys. Jamie always used skill cut as well. I would be willing to bet my life that the jersey they are offering was not game used in an NFL game by Jamie Duncan.

Likely a player appearnce jersey before the Adidas jerseys showed up.

---

I just do NOT understand how every auction house can claim to be an expert on all things game used. I don't know everything abotu bucs game used jerseys in their history and I have been as active as anyone out there regardin that team's game used jerseys out there. I wouldn't even claim to be an expert on bucs jerseys, let alone aucton houses claiming to an umbrella of expertise in all game used items for every sport from every season.

jppopma
11-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Joel about it being Broadway Rick Sports Zone.

When you do a cross search on the 1-800 number, you get information for We Buy Treasure, The Vault Inc., The Great Treasure Hunt, and Strike Zone Auctions.

Appears that they travel and pick up random collectibles from town to town:

http://maine.craigslist.org/vnn/3324735927.html

Why so many names? It might be interesting to look up history on each of these companies. Seems to me alot of risk that something may not have been bought as one thing and sold as another.

jake33
11-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I called and spoke with them today, actually pretty helpful.

I flat out said if "I bought it, pull it out of the frame and it isn't legit, you won't let me return it, right?"

They said they would not let me return it, BUT then they said it might be wise for them to open the jersey out of the frame and sell it that way.

I said, "So realistically being in the frame, it means you have no idea if even the Super Bowl 37 patch is on the jersey."

They saw my point and are opening the jersey out of the frame today, then taking a number of photos for me to examine.

I told them with a couple decent photos that I could tell if it is legit or not within a couple minutes.

I have very rare locker room hand held footage from super bowl 37 and got a couple shots of Darby at halftime and towards the end of the game, so will be exciting to see what what they have.

trsent
11-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I called and spoke with them today, actually pretty helpful.

I flat out said if "I bought it, pull it out of the frame and it isn't legit, you won't let me return it, right?"

They said they would not let me return it, BUT then they said it might be wise for them to open the jersey out of the frame and sell it that way.

I said, "So realistically being in the frame, it means you have no idea if even the Super Bowl 37 patch is on the jersey."

They saw my point and are opening the jersey out of the frame today, then taking a number of photos for me to examine.

I told them with a couple decent photos that I could tell if it is legit or not within a couple minutes.

I have very rare locker room hand held footage from super bowl 37 and got a couple shots of Darby at halftime and towards the end of the game, so will be exciting to see what what they have.

By the way, they might not let you return it, but eBay will let you return it if the merchandise is not as advertised.

jake33
11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, they removed the item from the frame.

After about an hour or so of digging arorund.... I believe the jersey was at least worn in the NFC Divisional game vs. 49ers...

The numeral "1" on the right sholder has a hit mark that looks consistent to their photo. The placement of the 9 and 1 on the front of the jersey looks accurate as well.

Interesting note though.....

With my concern of the sleeves being too loose, that seems to have a reasonable background to it.... the jersey has sticky residue on the under part of the sleeve cuffs. I had a Michael pittman bucs gamer years ago that had the same thing. I am thinking the framing company removed the medical tape under the sleeves to make the jersye flatter to fit in the frame and to make the sleeves tighter.