PDA

View Full Version : How to encourage new members

coxfan
11-03-2012, 07:20 AM
We need to encourage new members/posters, so I have the following thoughts:

1) Simple politeness: Every time somebody new comments here on their enjoyment of game-used cards, they get get blasted by folks who make them feel like criminals who support the desecration of sacred objects. But most people get into game-used cards because they don't know where to find affordable, reliable game-used items. If they're made to feel welcome here, they'll start to learn more reliable ways to get entire items. But if they're made to feel unwelcome on their first post, they won't stick around.

2) Don't ridicule others' collecting preferences. I'm glad we have such a diverse group here. If we all collected the same stuff, it'd become too hard to get! I enjoy reading about the special niches that people have created, even if I don't collect in those areas. Remember, any hobby is healthy if it promotes mental stimulation and positive social interaction without creating serious harm. However, ridiculing hobbies is itself a hobby that does not promote positive social interaction.

3) No politics, please. In a group as diverse as ours, there are bound to be diverse political views. I'm an issues-oriented independent who deplores the prejudices and sarcasm that come from both the Political Left and the Right in recent years. Neither side has all the answers, and the true answers start with respectful listening to views. Let's keep this forum focused on fun!

4) No sarcasm or personal attacks on each other. The moderators have my full support in keeping this forum free of the "Internet attack-dog" disease that's so prevalent on other forums. `

TBTwinsFan
11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
If I could maybe add one, we need to keep post traffic up.

A lot of times I will stop in here, and the threads will be generally the same from the past 2-3 days.

I'm not saying we should spam, but maybe make some good variety and informational threads to keep people coming back.

David
11-03-2012, 01:24 PM
I've heard collectors on other forums say they've tried join here but couldn't. The approval process takes a long time and I don't know if they ever got approved.

David
11-03-2012, 01:27 PM
P.s., I find nothing wrong with people posting to show off their stuff. I think most people enjoy looking at new photos.

And I find people here generally polite and courteous. Yes, there are the occasional arguments and fights, but I don't think the general attitude is driving anyone off.

Klattsy
11-03-2012, 05:49 PM
I've heard collectors on other forums say they've tried join here but couldn't. The approval process takes a long time and I don't know if they ever got approved.

Heard this as well. Couple of Aussie based collectors wanted to join but I think the new process precludes international sign-ups? Sure glad I got in before the rules changed.

kellsox
11-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Not sure that this site is maintained/prioritized by the powers that be. I think the banner ads for the 2011 8d auction tells a lot.

Griffey24fan
11-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Agreed I know a lot of guys who have tried to join however they never get the call needed to join. Most guys wait a couple weeks and finally give up.

It seems to be more of a moderator or whoever has control on allowing the new members as I know quite a few guys on other boards who have been trying to join for the last year.

abstractheory
11-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Yep! My buddy has been waiting to be approved for almost two months now. He has pretty much given up. :confused:

jppopma
11-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I think we have alot of non members who are interested in learning about the hobby and not so much joining or posting.

I agree with Cox that we always need new blood to keep the hobby afloat. There is a wealth of information and knowledge on here.

One thing I personally disagree on is twinsfan wanting more post. I don't have much time to hop on here and sometimes feel that there is too much to keep up with.

ousooner_85
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm a new member and it took forever to get approved, I almost gave up. I think expediating that process and a few general updates (i.e. 2011 auction banner) wouldn't hurt.

With that being said, I really enjoy the site. Bought several things from members directly off the board and have begun to share some of the items I have collected over the years.

3arod13
11-06-2012, 12:11 PM
We need to encourage new members/posters, so I have the following thoughts:

1) Simple politeness: Every time somebody new comments here on their enjoyment of game-used cards, they get get blasted by folks who make them feel like criminals who support the desecration of sacred objects. But most people get into game-used cards because they don't know where to find affordable, reliable game-used items. If they're made to feel welcome here, they'll start to learn more reliable ways to get entire items. But if they're made to feel unwelcome on their first post, they won't stick around.

2) Don't ridicule others' collecting preferences. I'm glad we have such a diverse group here. If we all collected the same stuff, it'd become too hard to get! I enjoy reading about the special niches that people have created, even if I don't collect in those areas. Remember, any hobby is healthy if it promotes mental stimulation and positive social interaction without creating serious harm. However, ridiculing hobbies is itself a hobby that does not promote positive social interaction.

3) No politics, please. In a group as diverse as ours, there are bound to be diverse political views. I'm an issues-oriented independent who deplores the prejudices and sarcasm that come from both the Political Left and the Right in recent years. Neither side has all the answers, and the true answers start with respectful listening to views. Let's keep this forum focused on fun!

4) No sarcasm or personal attacks on each other. The moderators have my full support in keeping this forum free of the "Internet attack-dog" disease that's so prevalent on other forums. `

Great post and good points! All of what you said goes a long way!

TBTwinsFan
11-06-2012, 07:06 PM
One thing I personally disagree on is twinsfan wanting more post. I don't have much time to hop on here and sometimes feel that there is too much to keep up with.

Many collectors hold this site as a valuable resource for information. If nobody is placing the information out there, how will the board succeed?

I was never saying one person alone should do it, and there is not a lot here to keep up with.

TBTwinsFan
11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
I forgot to add, please don't take anything I say as negativity towards this board. I really enjoy stopping by and looking through the pictures and pickups, and reading the cool stories people post.

raider78
11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey,

I am a new member to this board, junior member, or which ever you want to call it, and I have to say that it did take a while for my approval to occur, to be completely honest I forgot I applied until they called me to go over a few things before they approved me. It was definitely worth the wait because I have already met a few good contacts, and learned new things about the hobby. Just wanted to add in on the conversation!

Matt