PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison SB XLIII helmet

genius
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
surprised that this didn't generate any discussion but wow this went for $50K! I wonder if Harrison himself or maybe even the Steelers bought it?

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7065&lotNo=81755

legaleagle92481
10-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Alot of people don't check HA I don't think thats probably why. If Harrison gave it away why buy it? Steelers stuff goes for huge money. Common player jerseys go for 5k on NFL auctions so price isn't that insane. A regular season random game big ben jersey went for over 20k in hunts last year even.

genius
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I thought the Roethlisberger only went for $9K but still huge money. Maybe Harrison had "giver's remorse"!

jhunt28
10-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Whoa!!! That's crazy!!! I love helmets, and never even looked at the HA auction.... I would have loved to get the Lott Jets helmet...if anyone here picked it up and ever wants to sell, let me know

beantown
10-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Alot of people don't check HA I don't think thats probably why. If Harrison gave it away why buy it? Steelers stuff goes for huge money. Common player jerseys go for 5k on NFL auctions so price isn't that insane. A regular season random game big ben jersey went for over 20k in hunts last year even.

Why do you think alot of people don't check HA? They usually have very nice items and a solide reputation....

Steeleraddict
12-24-2012, 11:43 PM
How common is it for an NFL team to purchase back gear, or even a player? I know one poster ha Ryan Clark trade for another GU jersey

Shipp_96
12-25-2012, 02:41 AM
How common is it for an NFL team to purchase back gear, or even a player? I know one poster ha Ryan Clark trade for another GU jersey

I don't know about a player buying back an item per say, but I also had a player trade me for his first ever worn NFL jersey thru a mutual friend we have. So I think that may be more common.

Steelers25
12-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Not sure about other teams but I'm pretty sure the game worn steelers stuff you see on nfl auction is donated by the players not the team. I read in a article where James Harrison was asked to donate one of his game jerseys to the auction and he said he would rather walk through hell in gasoline drawers than give them one of his jerseys. Gotta love Debo. I could be wrong but that's how I took it, that they come from the player and not the team.

Steeleraddict
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Do you happen to have a link or remember where that article is? Love Deebo and that attitude. Goodel trying to tame him and change the game.

Steelers25
12-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Do you happen to have a link or remember where that article is? Love Deebo and that attitude. Goodel trying to tame him and change the game.

Don't have a link, pretty sure I read the article on steelersfever.

BU54CB
01-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Not sure about other teams but I'm pretty sure the game worn steelers stuff you see on nfl auction is donated by the players not the team. I read in a article where James Harrison was asked to donate one of his game jerseys to the auction and he said he would rather walk through hell in gasoline drawers than give them one of his jerseys. Gotta love Debo. I could be wrong but that's how I took it, that they come from the player and not the team.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe team jerseys are property of the team unless they are given to the players by the team.

Steeleraddict
01-04-2013, 06:53 PM
99.9% sure game gear is the property of the NFL. The players do have the right, usually, to purchase their uniform from the NFL.

I don't put it at 100% because I've heard that some players don't give them up easily. Esp Steeler player...Harrison (esp helmets), polamalu, and Hines ward usually do to the fact he sells alot of his game worn gear on his own site.

Steeleraddict
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
With Bradys first legitimate jersey being auctioned for $50,000. What do u guys think of $50,000 for harrisons helmet?

Similarities...both teams are notorious for being stingy about releasing GU items. Tho NE getting a little better.
....both James and brady are notorious for not letting their own gear out. I think I heard Brady wore that same jersey over 2-3 yrs. And Harrison flat out refuses to give his away, even to the NFL who owns it. Ha.
....also I know Harrison had a commitment to JO sports for some items but then backed out. JO had already took big down payments for the items then had to refund the money.

So 50k is crazy but it was worth it to at least two birders for each item.

Interested in ur opinions?

genius
01-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I thought it was a lot obviously but I think the price can be justified pretty easily. The helmet was worn by a top player who made the most memorable defensive play in Super Bowl history and was also on the winning team which happens to be one of the most storied NFL franchises and at the same time is one of the most stingy with g/u.

I do think the value is diminished somewhat because the Steelers gave up the lead and the Roethlisberger-to-Santonio pass is equally remembered. Had the Steelers cruised to victory, Harrison would have been the MVP and that play would be all anyone remembers from the game. Could put $100K on it in that instance and someone out there would have paid it.

As always though I could be wrong in my assessment!

swainer
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Here is the link...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/27/steelers-james-harrisons-strong-words-on-roger-goodell/1662335/

Samets
01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
It would be nice to know if the jerseys were team or league owned.

If a team can make a deal with JO or Steiner, that would lead me to believe they are team owned...

Steeleraddict
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Swam ER,
Thanks for the reply/link. That's why I can just about understand that price tag. 1. Steelers are stingy. 2. Harrison is def stingy. 3. So Steelers GU are hard to come by and always seem to go for a large amount I.e. NFL auctions. Due to the large number of fans in Steeler Nation competitive for the low supply.
Awesome that u had that link which Harrison specifically gives a reason he doesn't let his stuff go. More insight into his mind. An all-time favorite of mine.