PDA

View Full Version : How to date a baseball

Rays&Mariners
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to date a baseball. This is a Lee MacPhail AL ball. So he was AL president from 74-84 are there any other markings on the ball which could give a more specific date?

Thanks
Eric

joelsabi
10-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to date a baseball. This is a Lee MacPhail AL ball. So he was AL president from 74-84 are there any other markings on the ball which could give a more specific date?

Thanks
Eric

1983 two dot on a 5 dot system where 1981 was one dot. dots are under the place it was produced on the ball.

joelsabi
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi All,

Thanks
Eric

can you show a photo of the panel that says cushion cork? just want confirm something.

Rays&Mariners
10-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your message. Attached is the photo you requested.

Thanks again
Eric

joelsabi
10-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks. so its possible to distinguish all years using three factors from the three panels.

For the bottom panel, you are seeing what is below "Cushion Cork Center." There are three changes over this time period as shown.

For the top panel, you are looking for the dots below HAITI. The dots are on a 5 dot system.

For the middle panel you are looking at whether "PRES" is slant or vertical (straight up and down)

With these three factors you can figure it out.

What do you have anyways? Is it a team signed baseball?

Rays&Mariners
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Great Info, Thank you!

Its signed by Joe Dimaggio...

Thanks
Eric

joelsabi
10-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Great Info, Thank you!

Its signed by Joe Dimaggio...

Thanks
Eric