PDA

View Full Version : Unusual cases of faked artifacts

coxfan
10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
The History Channel said that Fort Knox temporarily housed the original signed Declaration of Independence and other unique documents during WWII to protect them from sabotage. They were replaced in the Archives Building with realistic fakes that were passed off as the real thing to tourists. Does anyone know of similar high-profile fakes to protect originals?

ryant7
10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Obama's birth certificate? Sorry wrong forum.....
Honestly cant think of others would be interesting to hear some though!

sox83cubs84
10-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Obama's birth certificate? Sorry wrong forum.....
Honestly cant think of others would be interesting to hear some though!

:p :p :p

Dave Miedema

David
10-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Not exactly the same, but the British Museum had on display ancient Greek artifacts, and the later figured out they were forgeries... by the Ancient Romans.

Another good one is a museum had a Picasso painting hung in their museum for a month before they realized it was upside down.

jppopma
10-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know if many of the jerseys that the baseball HOF takes on their travelling displays are faked or just replicas that they take for display purposes? Looked at them at the all star fanfest and some of them are not even close.

sox83cubs84
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know if many of the jerseys that the baseball HOF takes on their travelling displays are faked or just replicas that they take for display purposes? Looked at them at the all star fanfest and some of them are not even close.

Possible Halper collection donations?...

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Not exactly the same, but the British Museum had on display ancient Greek artifacts, and the later figured out they were forgeries... by the Ancient Romans.

Do you have a link to the story? I am curious, because the ancient Romans were often known to appropriate Greek art for their purposes (enjoyment, etc.). I've never heard the term "forgery" applied to this practice, so I'm wondering if something altogether different than what I'm familiar with went on here.

cohibasmoker
12-01-2012, 07:31 AM
:p :p :p

Dave Miedema

No comment - I'll get slammed