PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1986 Gooden Jersey

yanks12025
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
This jersey just sold on proxibid, I asked Dave M. about it and he mentioend that the sizing and tags looked good. I decided not to bid, but in looking at game photos from the playoffs it looks almost like a photo match. Any thoughts from the met experts.

Same auction also had a 1968 Pat Dobson jersey, but passed because it was a size 44 while another 1968 Dobson jersey sold in the past was size 42.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3604&aid=58424&lid=14682923&rts=/asp/searchadvanced_i.asp%23searchid%3D%26type%3Dlot%26 search%3Ddwight%2520gooden%26sort%3Drelevance%26le ngth%3D10%26start%3D1%26refine%3D%26nc%3D135050270 1859#topoflot

suave1477
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I am not a Mets expert but I am somewhat familiar with there items. One thing that sticks out to me is the nameplate. The Font letter looks to be a bit too thick. Almost like the mistake they always make when they try to fake Strawberry Jerseys and the "A" is always wrong.

If you look at photos of Gooden from 86 look at his name on the back the letters look somewhat thin.

My second thought is, if this was the real deal a 86 Gooden Jersey??? Would have sold for triple if not maybe even close to quadruple what it sold for - Thats a big red flag to me

Look at this Gooden Jersey looks like the name plate is too thick and too arched!!

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=18859&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=0&lotsperpage=ALL&category=1&seo=1986-Dwight-Gooden-New-York-Mets-Game-Used-Jersey

sox83cubs84
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
[quote=yanks12025;305885]This jersey just sold on proxibid, I asked Dave M. about it and he mentioend that the sizing and tags looked good. I decided not to bid, but in looking at game photos from the playoffs it looks almost like a photo match. Any thoughts from the met experts.

Same auction also had a 1968 Pat Dobson jersey, but passed because it was a size 44 while another 1968 Dobson jersey sold in the past was size 42.

On the Dobson, the sizing difference may be due to differing manufacturers. In the flannel and pre-1987 knit era. there were players that took one size biiger or smaller from one manufacturer than they did another when two or more suppliers provided the team with uniforms. The 1968 Tigers home were made by Wilson, while the roads were done by Rawlings.

Dave Miedema

yanks12025
10-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Dave,
They were both road jerseys, so both were Rawlings.

Suave,
I noticed the name plate too, but thought that mets jerseys got recycled after the year?

TNTtoys
10-17-2012, 04:27 PM
OK... let's clear this one up...

The jersey is GOOD.

The nameplate is PERFECT (the Mets used this exact font on names smaller than 7 letters).

The 86 jerseys were NOT recycled.

Not only was this Gooden's jersey but it is a post-season home jersey, likely worn in the World Series as well.

$340 for this jersey is criminal. It has got to be worth $2K or even more.

yanks12025
10-17-2012, 04:30 PM

The jersey is GOOD.

The nameplate is PERFECT (the Mets used this exact font on names smaller than 7 letters).

Not only was this Gooden's jersey but it is a post-season home jersey, likely worn in the World Series as well.

Well I'll be kicking myself now.

suave1477
10-17-2012, 04:34 PM

The jersey is GOOD.

Nick thanks for straightening up the Font issue, I was not aware there was a difference in size depending on how many letters.

I do agree on the sold for price. That doesnt make sense

yanks12025
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Well I think i had it matched to game 2 of the 1986 world series. Only thing that seemed off was the S in Mets. In the photo below it looks like you can see the pinstripe going threw the S but on the jersey it looks like the T touches the S and no pinstripe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwight-Doc-Gooden-Signed-METS-1986-World-Series-8x10-w-Gary-Carter-MOUNTED-/330811214002?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item4d05e288b2

TNTtoys
10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Nick thanks for straightening up the Font issue, I was not aware there was a difference in size depending on how many letters.

I do agree on the sold for price. That doesnt make sense

I suppose the price makes sense being that it sold on a site that very few people have ever heard of before.

suave1477
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I was thinking that too but then that brings up the next question. With such a potentially such a valuable jersey why wouldnt you take it to a more recognized auction place? I mean its not that hard to find one. Ebay at the very least would of brought in more money. Grey Flannel, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, etc.....

Dewey2007
10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Don't worry, you will most likely see this jersey being offered by one of the major auction houses very soon. The original owner is the big loser for not doing their homework and whoever flips this is going to make a very nice profit.

I was thinking that too but then that brings up the next question. With such a potentially such a valuable jersey why wouldnt you take it to a more recognized auction place? I mean its not that hard to find one. Ebay at the very least would of brought in more money. Grey Flannel, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, etc.....

yanks12025
10-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Don't worry, you will most likely see this jersey being offered by one of the major auction houses very soon. The original owner is the big loser for not doing their homework and whoever flips this is going to make a very nice profit.

I don't think it's right to call the seller a loser. The auction seems to normally just sell coins, so maybe a local collector passed away and the family just send the stuff to local. Plus it wasn't being sold as game used, they also had a Jose C jersey from his rookie year that sold for $300 but it was clearly a replica.

This is the first time game used jerseys have shown up on this site. Most of the time the baseball stuff is either cards or fake autos.

I knew I should have bid, I would have won it. Also for all we know the buyer thinks its just a signed jersey.

sox83cubs84
10-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Agreed.

Dave Miedema

commando
10-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't think it's right to call the seller a loser.

I think the context of that statement was that the original seller did not receive the amount of money they could have, had they listed the jersey with a more appropriate auction venue.... They "lost" out on some cash.

Dewey2007
10-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean it as an attack on the persons character. Just like Commando mentioned they lost out on money they could have made offering it through a more appropriate auction house.

I don't think it's right to call the seller a loser. The auction seems to normally just sell coins, so maybe a local collector passed away and the family just send the stuff to local. Plus it wasn't being sold as game used, they also had a Jose C jersey from his rookie year that sold for $300 but it was clearly a replica.

This is the first time game used jerseys have shown up on this site. Most of the time the baseball stuff is either cards or fake autos.

I knew I should have bid, I would have won it. Also for all we know the buyer thinks its just a signed jersey.

TNTtoys
10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
This jersey just sold on proxibid

An update on the Gooden jersey...

So that everyone can rest easy, this jersey did not sell for $340.00. I contacted the auction company afterwards, and was informed that the jersey failed to meet a hidden reserve.

Upon hearing that the jersey did not sell, I made a generous offer on the jersey, and the owner accepted.

TNTtoys
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Don't worry, you will most likely see this jersey being offered by one of the major auction houses very soon.

I am happy to say you will not be seeing this jersey on the auction block anytime soon :)

suave1477
10-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I am happy to say you will not be seeing this jersey on the auction block anytime soon :)

Scandoulus....................... tsk tsk:cool:

Very shrewed move there monsiuer TNT, but smart lol:D

Dewey2007
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice! Glad to see the jersey is in the hands of a true Mets fan!

MichaelofSF
10-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Good for you Nick!

yanks12025
10-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Well another 1986 Gooden playoff jersey is up in the current mears auction.

d4347
10-27-2012, 01:01 AM
The one TNT purchased is photo matched to World Series game 2. That's the only home game Gooden pitched in the Series. The one in Mears shows heavy use, which is odd for a playoff jersey that could have only been worn for one start in the NLCS and not at all in the Series. I would be sceptical about that amount of heavy use on a little worn jersey that might not have been pitched in. I have several '86 mets jerseys from the regular season that don't have that much number puckering. Is it possible, surebut I would question it at the very least.

Rob

d4347
10-27-2012, 02:48 AM
The one TNT purchased is photo matched to World Series game 2. That's the only home game Gooden pitched in the Series. The one in Mears shows heavy use, which is odd for a playoff jersey that could have only been worn for one start in the NLCS and not at all in the Series. I would be sceptical about that amount of heavy use on a little worn jersey that might not have been pitched in. I have several '86 mets jerseys from the regular season that don't have that much number puckering. Is it possible, surebut I would question it at the very least.

Rob

yanks12025
10-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Rob

Rob,
Could you show the photo-match? Because the game 2 photo I saw, the pinstripe and the S looks different between the game photo and the jersey photo.