PDA

View Full Version : Beano Cook Has Passed Away

trsent
10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Beano Cook, a longtime staple of the Pittsburgh sports scene and an ESPN college football studio commentator since 1986, has died. He was 81.

Cook, a 1954 University of Pittsburgh grad, began his career as a sports publicist for the school from 1956-66. He later worked with a number of organizations, including the Pittsburgh Civic Arena.

"He was one of a kind," George Bodenheimer, ESPN executive chairman, said in a statement. "There never was and never will be another Beano.

His combination of humor, passion, love of college football and his engaging personality left an indelible mark on the sport and touched anyone who knew him."

Said ESPN College GameDay host Chris Fowler: "Cook was an American original. His passion, depth and breadth of knowledge, and humor were unique. He was an invaluable early mentor to me and friend. His imprint can still be seen on GameDay each week."

Said ESPN college football analyst Lee Corso: "Beano was a unique human being and he was college football at ESPN. I am indebted to him. Beano was a tremendous help at the start of my television career and I would not be where I am today without him. I am forever grateful to Beano and the time we spent behind the GameDay desk."

One of Cook's most famous quips was "Haven't they suffered enough", in response to Major League Baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn's offer of lifetime passes to games for returning hostages from Iran. He was also afraid to fly, often citing that one of the words associated with any airport is "terminal."

"You only have to bat a thousand in two things -- flying and heart transplants," Cook once said. "Everything else, you can go four for five."

In 2002, Pittsburgh athletic director Steve Pederson unveiled the Beano Cook Media Room in the Petersen Events Center. The dedication plaque reads: "This media room is dedicated to Beano's legendary contributions to the field of sports journalism and unyielding dedication to his profession.

Beano brought the national spotlight to Pittsburgh as he became a college sports icon."

Cook also started a blog in 2010. His last entry, from Oct. 1, read, "Sorry to say that health issues hit me at the worst time -- start of college football season. Everything except recovery takes a back-burner now."

Cook was born Carroll Hoff Cook on Sept. 1, 1931. His family moved from Boston to Pittsburgh when he was 7; a neighbor gave him the nickname "Beano" because of his Boston roots ( "Oh, from Boston, like the beans").

He served in the U.S. Army for two years after graduating from Pittsburgh, never married and lived in Pittsburgh for 74 years until his death.

Dewey2007
10-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I was sad to read of Beano's passing. He was part of my college football viewing experience for as long as I can remember.

It's funny, I always assumed he was an ex-football coach. He had that sound and look.