PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Brady NE Patriots preseason gamer?

HassanWM
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I am researching whether a jersey was actually worn by Tom Brady in 2002. The neck tag reads "02-48" and I know 48 is the size Brady wears. Font on the nameplate and numbers look correct. Make of the jersey is Reebok. The jersey does show some wear. At least two sizable impact marks on the back and a 1 inch repair on the sleeve. At least one impact mark on the sleeves, as well. What's different about this jersey is that the sleeves are cuffed. Brady normally has been wearing loose sleeves. I've been told that someone high up at The Hall at Patriots Place said it is most likely a 2002 preseason jersey. Having looked at pictures from the regular season, I have been able to determine that Brady wore loose sleeves throughout the 2002 regular season.

This picture is intriguing. Cannot say for sure if Brady is wearing cuffed sleeves in the very first game of the preseason but the sleeves sure may be cuffed here. He was wearing loose sleeves for the last preseason game.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/this-was-the-first-play-from-scrimmage-for-the-patriots-a-news-photo/145496967

One of the impact marks on the back appears to be silver-ish. Here's the third preseason game's box score.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2002082302/2002/PRE3/panthers@patriots#tab=recap

The box score from the second preseason game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2002081700/2002/PRE2/eagles@patriots#tab=recap

I cannot find any pictures of Brady in these two preseason games from that year. Would anyone be able to help? Any help would be very much appreciated. Videos of the game or pictures or any other information. Thank you very much.

Mulligans
10-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Tough to tell exactly what your Brady sleeves look like without a photo but google images of the 2002 TV guide cover. He is on the cover with what appears to be tighter sleeves.

Unfortunately, TB is also a highly forged Jersey. Most Jerseys that I have seen without a Pats Coa have been misrepresented or doctored. Do you know where the Jersey originated?

The guy who runs the Hall at Patriot place is very approachable and replies to his emails. Try to reach out to him?

HassanWM
10-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Tough to tell exactly what your Brady sleeves look like without a photo but google images of the 2002 TV guide cover. He is on the cover with what appears to be tighter sleeves.

Unfortunately, TB is also a highly forged Jersey. Most Jerseys that I have seen without a Pats Coa have been misrepresented or doctored. Do you know where the Jersey originated?

The guy who runs the Hall at Patriot place is very approachable and replies to his emails. Try to reach out to him?
I will have to get pictures of the jersey made but that photo on that 2002 TV Guide cover sure does have cuffs that look very similar. Definitely also interesting that photo would coincide with the stated year of this jersey and the second game of the preseason. Thank you very much for pointing that photo out. Any suggestions where I can find game photos or game videos for the first two preseason games at Gillette?

When it comes to doctoring Bradys, it's weird to think someone would doctor a cuffed sleeve Brady when he barely wore cuffed sleeved shirts in his career. The owner of this jersey got it in 2003 and cannot remember exactly who he got it from. He got it from a member of one of these forums and I know he is very careful about what he buys. He has been a Patriots collector for a while. He also used to sell game worn hockey jerseys for an AHL team.

I would assume the vast majority of Bradys were doctored after the second Super Bowl win. Have not contacted the man who runs The Hall at Patriots Place so far but definitely have been strongly considering that. Do you have the person's e-mail address? Thank you very much for responding. Will definitely post photos as soon as possible. This does seem to be a very interesting and worthwhile puzzle to solve.

HassanWM
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know if I am sounding crazy here, but the way the "2" is sewn on the front might be a photomatch to that TV Guide cover. It doesn't seem sewn on "perfectly" on that cover and nor does this jersey have it sewn on "perfectly". The top of the "2" bends slightly downwards towards of the middle of the "2". I'll have to get photos.

HassanWM
10-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Nevermind the idea of a photomatch. The NFL crest at the neck doesn't match and nor does some stitching. When did they start using "NFL Equipment" crests at the neck?

HassanWM
10-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Taking it further, that is not a game jersey on the cover. They used jerseys with "NFL Equipment" crests in 2002.

Mulligans
10-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Brent Hensel is the Curator at the Museum and I think you can get a hold of him through their website. I don't think he knows specifics about a Jersey Cut like an equipment guy would although I could be wrong?

I really don't want to sound like a "Know it all" but a TB Jersey is a real tough Jersey to put your hands on and the Patriots work very hard to keep it that way.....The thought that some guy picked it up somewhere, but can't remember where just sounds a little odd? Don't you agree? At 20-30 K photo matched, A Tom Brady Jersey would be memorable and the cornerstone of any collection:D

I wasn't suggesting that the sleeves were purposely cuffed....I was just thinking that maybe it is some sort of Game Cut Jersey that someone added a team repair and some scuffs. I'm not sure if Brady wore cuffed sleeves or not....I haven't checked.

I really do hope that you can match it as I think that it would be a Beauty....Best of Luck!

HassanWM
10-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Brent Hensel is the Curator at the Museum and I think you can get a hold of him through their website. I don't think he knows specifics about a Jersey Cut like an equipment guy would although I could be wrong?

I really don't want to sound like a "Know it all" but a TB Jersey is a real tough Jersey to put your hands on and the Patriots work very hard to keep it that way.....The thought that some guy picked it up somewhere, but can't remember where just sounds a little odd? Don't you agree? At 20-30 K photo matched, A Tom Brady Jersey would be memorable and the cornerstone of any collection:D

I wasn't suggesting that the sleeves were purposely cuffed....I was just thinking that maybe it is some sort of Game Cut Jersey that someone added a team repair and some scuffs. I'm not sure if Brady wore cuffed sleeves or not....I haven't checked.

I really do hope that you can match it as I think that it would be a Beauty....Best of Luck!

Thank you very much for everything. It may sound weird that he may not remember, but he is being completely honest and allowing me to conduct complete research on the jersey. It's not as if it's been bought. I doubt he expected Brady to be successful as he now is when he got the jersey. My job is just to research it and take it from there. As stated, he said he's been told by someone high up at The Hall at Patriots Place that it is most likely a preseason jersey and everything I've looked into so far points at that being the only possibility, if it IS real. Should I post pictures of the jersey? Would you or anyone else be able to give me leads on how to acquire those past games besides the Patriots or pictures of Brady in those games? I am definitely going to contact Brent Hensel, at the very least. Thank you very much, once again, really.

Dewey2007
10-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Try ihaveplanet.com for video. I took a look and 3 traders have video available of the preseason game vs Philadelphia:

http://www.ihaveplanet.com/Trading/TradingBoard.aspx?Board=29

If you don't have anything to trade sometimes guys are willing to sell a copy and I have also traded blank dvds for copies of games.

Good luck!

Mulligans
10-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Pictures of the Jersey would be very helpful for us to help you out.

HassanWM
10-09-2012, 03:49 AM
Thank you very much for that link, Dewey2007! Will absolutely try to make use of that site. Mulligans, give me a little time. I will definitely post. Need to make better pictures. This jersey seems to be possibly game-issued, at worst. Specifications are right on. I cannot find anything wrong with this jersey so far. The "2" in his jersey number on the front and back were sewn on in a certain ("artsy") way on the navy blue jerseys in the 2002 season and on. Matches right up. Along with the placement of the Reebok logo directly above the "Elvis Patriot" logo. They did change the location of the Reebok logo after the 2004 season, to right in the middle of the shoulder stripe and the "Elvis Patriot" logo. I will just post front, back, and sleeves for now. If you want pictures of the wear, I can do that too.

Mulligans
10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Your PM isn't set up....Shoot me an Email when you get a chance....JC@NewEnglandRealty.Net

Thanks
Jeff