PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox batting helmet history help

dwight24
10-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Hello,

I have an old Red Sox batting helmet that was used by a player who was with the Red Sox from between 1959 - 1962. The helmet does not have the "B" logo on it, and there is no evidence that there ever was one. I've been doing as much internet searching as I can, but can't figure out if the very early Red Sox helmets had a "B" on them or not. And if they didn't originally have a "B" logo, what was the first year the "B" was introduced onto the batting helmet.

Does anyone know the answer or know of a good resource for this?

Attached is a picture of the helmet.

thanks,

yanks12025
10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
I thought about bidding on that helmet. But I figured because the player was a catcher that he used it while catching.

dwight24
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
That is another good question ...

When did catchers start wearing the hard helmet when catching, and were the hard catching helmets different than their batting helmets? I would assume that the catching helmets didn't catch on (no pun intended) until much later than the batting helmets, and early on, the catchers helmets were probably the same as the batting helmet (before they had ear flaps).

jppopma
10-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I seem to recall that older batting helmets had the logos painted or stenciled on them. Looking for evidence of a logo being on the helmet would be a pretty tough thing to do considering the buildup on the helmet. Very nice looking as is though.