PDA

View Full Version : In Your Opinion, Which Is More Desirable From Your Favorite Player... A Game Used Jersey Or Game Used Helmet?

VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
A Friend And I Were Having This Discussion Today And I Say Helmet Because They Are Much More Rare And Used In Multiple Games- Considering The Players Are Only Issued 2 Helmets Per Year...
I'd Love To Hear Your Thoughts...

marino13
09-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I would have to say ... depends on availability and funds.

I would love to get my hands on a Curtis Granderson's helmet (from Yankees era) - but I have not seen one in the market for a while.

On the other hands, I own two Grandy's gamers. One home and one road. I am still looking to expand if they are reasonable of course. Had a chance to obtain two milestones jersey - DJ3K and 100th Fenway Anniversary --- but damn, the price is way way out of my league!

If you want it for personal collection and never ever thinking of flipping - I would say a helmet.

But if you are looking to "recycle your collectible's fund", then I would say the jersey. It is an easier sale and profit margin is a little better ... and best of all, it takes less room for storage.

gaytorhater703
09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Im a college football guy (LSU)......i would rather a jersey.....although a solid photomatched pro combat helmet would be cool too.

slab0meat
09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Since the only game used I collect are jerseys, I vote jersey!

:cool:

Shipp_96
09-26-2012, 11:09 PM
As a helmet guy I am voting for that option. They are much more rare, easier to display and look way cooler IMO. Jerseys are much more plentiful and not as easy to nicely display. I own the NFL worn rookie jersey, cleats and issued gloves of one of my favorite players from college...yet I would trade it all for his helmet in a heartbeat.

If you are looking for re-sale I tend to agree with others on here that you may get more value for a jersey. I don't lose money on helmets but you don't make alot either unless it's really rare and has outstanding documentation.

So obviously it depends on your reasons for wanting the item in the first place.

dylanharr
09-27-2012, 12:14 AM
For me it might be helmet. Helmets seem a lot more unique and rare, as you don't see them as often as jerseys.

cfern023
09-27-2012, 01:31 AM
I'd prefer a helmet over a jersey, ONLY if it had a great characteristic- such as excessive pine tar or a break that can be photomatched.

If not, I'd take a jersey- even without a COA.

legaleagle92481
09-27-2012, 11:01 AM
A jersey no doubt. Although a helmet is rarer I would rather have a jersey any day.

BrianK
09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
For favorite player, I vote jersey. But for favorite team -- or to representat a team -- it's definitely helmet.

sox83cubs84
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM
I'll take th jersey, although if a player gave me a helmet, I'd take it...I wouldn't go out and buy one unless it was to flip.

Dave Miedema

ncbadges
09-27-2012, 08:09 PM
For me....helmet.

ncb

TNTtoys
09-28-2012, 03:22 PM
A Friend And I Were Having This Discussion Today And I Say Helmet Because They Are Much More Rare And Used In Multiple Games- Considering The Players Are Only Issued 2 Helmets Per Year...
I'd Love To Hear Your Thoughts...

In my travels, I see players of today issued many more than 2 helmets per year, but I still think it's a lower number than the number of jerseys.

If asked the same question. I would take a helmet. I collect mainly 1980s Mets items, and helmets are much much more rarer finds than jerseys.

frikativ54
09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
My answer is that it depends upon the helmet and jersey. If it were between a photomatched WS jersey and a helmet that had good provenance but no match, then I would take the former any day. I'd feel the same way even if it were between a pounded jersey and an average helmet.

However, once you start finding photomatched helmets, then they can be a treasure. If I were able to get an MLB authenticated Justin Smoak helmet that I could match to a ballgame, then I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I could see myself loving it just as much as my most pounded Smoak jersey (2011 blue alt.).

Cubsfan4life
09-28-2012, 03:46 PM
My answer is that it depends upon the helmet and jersey. If it were between a photomatched WS jersey and a helmet that had good provenance but no match, then I would take the former any day. I'd feel the same way even if it were between a pounded jersey and an average helmet.

However, once you start finding photomatched helmets, then they can be a treasure. If I were able to get an MLB authenticated Justin Smoak helmet that I could match to a ballgame, then I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I could see myself loving it just as much as my most pounded Smoak jersey (2011 blue alt.).

I agree. I would take a photomatched helmet over any regular season non-milestone or throwback jersey.

gingi79
09-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I know of exactly 3 auction sales for OJ McDuffie jerseys since 1993. I own one, I should have bought the one Jim Yackel has and one from another Auction House.

In 20 seasons, I have never seen a single McDuffie Helmet.

Given the chance to swap my rookie season jersey for a helmet, I wouldn't. But man, I'd love to buy one

HawaiiSportsNut
09-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Being a fan of Kurt Suzuki getting a game used jeresy was number one on my list. I was lucky to have added 3 jerseys to my wish list as well as a batting helmet which I was able to photomatch.

Since Kurt was traded from the Athletics to the Nationals I was able to add a complete A's catchers gear. (Thanks to my wife who bought it for me.) With all that said, I still prefer a jersey over a helmet.

JJKANDLAK
09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
I'll take th jersey, although if a player gave me a helmet, I'd take it...I wouldn't go out and buy one unless it was to flip.

Dave Miedema

I'd prefer a football helmet over a fb jersey...but for baseball I'd rather have the jersey, especially if it has a NOB over a baseball helmet