PDA

View Full Version : What do I look for in a Jeter game used bat?

yankees24
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I haven't collected many game used bats, but am thinking of purchasing a Jeter game used bat in the near future. What do I need to look for in Jeter bats, that will distinguish them from a store model that was manipulated as appearing game used? Thanks!

GameUsedBats
09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I suggest you pay the premium and buy from Steiner. I believe in the long run you will be be glad you did.

- John

yankees24
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I suggest you pay the premium and buy from Steiner. I believe in the long run you will be be glad you did.

- John

I would but some of the Jeter bats sold by Steiner show very little use.

BULBUS
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Jeter uses most of his game bats till they break:

yankees24
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
That's a nice one, but the ones listed on their website show very little wear.

http://www.steinersports.com/derek-jeter-2012-game-used-bat.html

http://www.steinersports.com/derek-jeter-2011-game-used-bat-uns.html

yanks12025
09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Those could be stock photos.

gameused
09-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Contact John Taube at www.gameusedbats.com

I have seen many Jeter game used bats on his website through the years, some signed and unsigned, all with great game use.

Below is a nice example of one that he had on his website a while back.

Good luck,
Bobby

yankees24
09-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for posting those photos, it also reminded me about this question. Does an MLB Authenticated hologram add more value on a Jeter game used bat, or does a Steiner hologram suffice?

gameused
09-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for posting those photos, it also reminded me about this question. Does an MLB Authenticated hologram add more value on a Jeter game used bat, or does a Steiner hologram suffice?

I think it does, this particular Jeter bat was photo matched to the "famous fake hit by pitch" in 2010.

It's owned by fellow forum member and friend of mine, Ken (PwKw13), and for all that are going to contact Ken and ask if it's for sell....I get first dibs....Lol:D

Bobby

GameUsedBats
09-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Steiner get's them directly from Jeter a couple time a year. Keep calling them and requesting photos of the bats they receive. You'll eventually find what you're looking for.

Bobby, I agree....JT is a good source as well.

Bulbus, Nice bat. Jeter's don't get much better than that!

- John

salmon
09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Are the Jeter bats Steiner sells game used or do they also sell batting practice used bats?

PwKw13
09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
... and for all that are going to contact Ken and ask if it's for sell....I get first dibs....Lol:D

Bobby

You're at the top of the list Bobby!!

In addition to that bat (on the bottom), here are a couple of others with nice Jeter characteristics -

yankees24
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Amazing bats PwKw13, love the pine tar on the handles of the first two!

So why are some Jeter game used bats MLB Authenticated and others not? Are the authenticated ones from special events?

maverick14
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Amazing bats PwKw13, love the pine tar on the handles of the first two!

So why are some Jeter game used bats MLB Authenticated and others not? Are the authenticated ones from special events?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Jeter doesn't use pine tar nowadays that's mota stick on there. Another characteristic you'll want to look for.

TFig27
09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Here is one of my Jeters

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/Gamers/jeter2009.jpg

I have had 4 Jeter bats, all direct from Steiner. The downside is they did not put a hologram on 3 of the bats. (Only if they are signed) This one from 09 has a hologram, but not a numbered one. So, once a Steiner Jeter bat hits the market, it comes with a credit card type COA and a letter from Jeter. But there is no direct connection to the specific bat. Not a great way for them to be authenticated.

yankees24
09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I have had 4 Jeter bats, all direct from Steiner. The downside is they did not put a hologram on 3 of the bats. (Only if they are signed) This one from 09 has a hologram, but not a numbered one. So, once a Steiner Jeter bat hits the market, it comes with a credit card type COA and a letter from Jeter. But there is no direct connection to the specific bat. Not a great way for them to be authenticated.

Thank you for mentioning this. If Jeter game used bats come without a Steiner hologram on them, can't someone just take a store model bat, put some wear on it to look like it's used, offer the bat for sale and say they lost Steiner paperwork but it's still a game used Jeter bat? Or is there some other unique identifier that can distinguish a genuine Jeter game used bat from retail models?

marino13
09-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Thank you for mentioning this. If Jeter game used bats come without a Steiner hologram on them, can't someone just take a store model bat, put some wear on it to look like it's used, offer the bat for sale and say they lost Steiner paperwork but it's still a game used Jeter bat? Or is there some other unique identifier that can distinguish a genuine Jeter game used bat from retail models?

the UNDERLINE of 125 in LS logo would be a dead give away - if there is a line, it is a store model. If there isnt one, then it is a player's model.

Not to say, that a game issued cannot be fake into a game used.

yankees24
09-19-2012, 07:40 AM
How come some of the bats I see listed on Ebay, with proper Steiner certificates, don't have the same characteristics some of you mentioned and showed - like the mota on the handle and heavy use on the barrel. Are those listed on Ebay bats that Jeter used in Spring Training and batting practice?

suave1477
09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Well I can say for the most part Jeter has always used mota stick. But this does not mean he has never used pine tar or maybe even one day he tried a taped bat. Those are oddities of course but can happen.

I got the biggest educational slap in the face from a forum member here (I mean that in a good way)
I am a Strawberry collector and Straw never tapes his handle. I have watched many many many games (but not all) I have looked over many pictures, photos, press wires, the whole 9. Never saw it!!

Then one day a Strawberry bat popped up on ebay with a Taped handle. I was pretty sure it wasnt his or used by him at least.

Sure enough a member here pulled up a promotional poster from the 80's and in the picture was Straw (at bat I believe) holding a taped handle bat.

So the moral to the story is you just never know. Players are humans just like us and can switch, try something new, at any given moment and that item could end up on the game used market.

yankees24
09-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Well I can say for the most part Jeter has always used mota stick.

How about this bat, it's certifed by Steiner but doesn't really reflect the same characteristics mentioned earlier shown on Jeter bats. There doesn't seem to be much mota if any on the handle and the use is rather light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEREK-JETER-2011-AUTO-GAME-USED-BASEBALL-BAT-STEINER-/200803141333?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item2ec0ccc6d5

Does Steiner also price Jeter bats differently based on use or are they all the same pricing regardless?

suave1477
09-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Well first I would say its hard to tell the actual use unless the seller provides better pics to you. From the pics it doesnt look like much use. I will say the price seems a bit outrageous but I havent followed the pricing value of Jeter bats in a couple of years so maybe they have gone up alot and I didnt know about it. Last time I saw Jeter bats were at average $1,500 and on there way up. So $7,000 sounds a bit much.

His story could very well be true of meeting Jeter and having him sign the bat. Unfortunately you will never know because there is no correspodning number from the card and the bat

Its great the bat is from his 3000 season but that doesnt mean he got a hit with this bat. Not for nothing since this bat shows little use maybe Jeter didnt get any hits with it and didnt want too use it anymore, who knows??:rolleyes:

Well I must say I just took a look around and saw Steiner has a cracked Jeter bat for $4,000 , my how times have changed:eek:

yankees24
09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Well first I would say its hard to tell the actual use unless the seller provides better pics to you. From the pics it doesnt look like much use. I will say the price seems a bit outrageous but I havent followed the pricing value of Jeter bats in a couple of years so maybe they have gone up alot and I didnt know about it. Last time I saw Jeter bats were at average $1,500 and on there way up. So $7,000 sounds a bit much.

His story could very well be true of meeting Jeter and having him sign the bat. Unfortunately you will never know because there is no correspodning number from the card and the bat

Its great the bat is from his 3000 season but that doesnt mean he got a hit with this bat. Not for nothing since this bat shows little use maybe Jeter didnt get any hits with it and didnt want too use it anymore, who knows??:rolleyes:

Well I must say I just took a look around and saw Steiner has a cracked Jeter bat for $4,000 , my how times have changed:eek:

This is the first time I'm having interest in a Jeter bat so I am not sure about the history of pricing. The current prices listed on Steiner's website range from $3,999 to $4,5000. Have any of you dealt with Steiner before and gotten a lower pricing on a Jeter bat or is the pricing firm?

Anyone here also owned a Jeter bat with Steiner cert that shows little use? Are they much less valuable than the ones with heavy use/mota?

yankees24
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Can some of you also tell me about what I should look for at the bottom of the knob? Does Jeter write his number on there? I've also seen some knobs with engraved dates and some without.

TFig27
09-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Send me an email at TFig27@aol.com

I have a 2012 bat you may like

matt
09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
A few comments to your many (good) questions from a long-time bat collector who has dealt with Steiner and tracked Jeter prices for years. Just my opinions...

First, Jeter bats have always been expensive, but have risen from $1500-$2000 7-8 years ago to over $3000 for a decent bat today. Top bats are far more, and our hobby assigns much higher prices to the top specimens versus an average bat.

Second, Steiner is very good and I have found them to be as reputable as this hobby gets in giving you actual game used items. However, nothing is as good as a MLB hologram. Technically "game used" can mean BP, spring training, etc to all these vendors, but a "game used" (not "game issued") MLB holo guarantees the bat was used (usually broken) in a regular season game. So most unauthenticated Jeter bats are worth less and a Steiner Jeter bat and a MLB holoed bat is the best.

As for use, I have seen a lot of lightly used Jeter bats, and suggest that you avoid them. Heavy use always improves value (until the bat has missing pieces!), and a good Jeter should have healthy mota stick and some deep seam impressions and use. The gorgeous Jeter bats you have seen posted here by forum members, are great examples of high-grade bats.

If I were buying a Jeter bat today, I would expect to pay around $3,000+ for a Steiner or MLB authenticated bat and I would expect to be patient (not days or weeks, but months or longer) to find the right one at a fair price. Paying $8K is just plain stupid unless it is a home-run bat and well-authenticated.

Lets get real here. Jeter is certainly a first ballot HOF player, but there is a HUGE inventory of his bats (good and bad) in the hobby, which to me means his values will not be getting to the Ted Williams ($15-20K+) value level or Mantle ($50K+). Maybe Mays at $6-8K is a comp, but the inventory of Mays or Aaron bats is FAR smaller so I wonder how Jeter bats will trade in 10 years. Thoughts?

Matt

matt
09-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Just saw you asked about the knobs on Jeter bats. I have never seen numbers on Jeter or Arod bats.

Matt

yankees24
09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
As for use, I have seen a lot of lightly used Jeter bats, and suggest that you avoid them. Heavy use always improves value (until the bat has missing pieces!), and a good Jeter should have healthy mota stick and some deep seam impressions and use. The gorgeous Jeter bats you have seen posted here by forum members, are great examples of high-grade bats.

If I were buying a Jeter bat today, I would expect to pay around $3,000+ for a Steiner or MLB authenticated bat and I would expect to be patient (not days or weeks, but months or longer) to find the right one at a fair price. Paying $8K is just plain stupid unless it is a home-run bat and well-authenticated.

Matt

Thank you Matt and the rest here for your helpful feedback and knowledge on this subject. I feel more comfortable now researching Jeter bats and knowing more about the specifications on what to look for.

Regarding use, if you had the choice to choose between a light use bat from a milestone season, for example the 2011 game used bat I mentioned earlier, or a heavy use bat from a non-milestone season, say 2010 or 2006, which bat would collectors prefer?

Matt, do you also know why some Jeter game used bats display little use/mota? As another member mentioned, Jeter does make the most out of his bats. Are the bats with lighter use from Spring Training games and batting practice? Does Jeter mark these bats differently from his game used ones? Does Steiner distinguish between game used vs. batting practice like they do with jerseys/caps?

Since you've dealt with Steiner before, are their prices firm for Jeter bats regardless of use or would they discount the ones that exhibit less? Thanks.

suave1477
09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
A few comments to your many (good) questions from a long-time bat collector who has dealt with Steiner and tracked Jeter prices for years. Just my opinions...

First, Jeter bats have always been expensive, but have risen from $1500-$2000 7-8 years ago to over $3000 for a decent bat today. Top bats are far more, and our hobby assigns much higher prices to the top specimens versus an average bat.

Second, Steiner is very good and I have found them to be as reputable as this hobby gets in giving you actual game used items. However, nothing is as good as a MLB hologram. Technically "game used" can mean BP, spring training, etc to all these vendors, but a "game used" (not "game issued") MLB holo guarantees the bat was used (usually broken) in a regular season game. So most unauthenticated Jeter bats are worth less and a Steiner Jeter bat and a MLB holoed bat is the best.

Lets get real here. Jeter is certainly a first ballot HOF player, but there is a HUGE inventory of his bats (good and bad) in the hobby, which to me means his values will not be getting to the Ted Williams ($15-20K+) value level or Mantle ($50K+). Maybe Mays at $6-8K is a comp, but the inventory of Mays or Aaron bats is FAR smaller so I wonder how Jeter bats will trade in 10 years. Thoughts?

Matt

You know what this was a great read.

Interstingly enough I would say your pretty accurate on the pricing. I would say it was probably in that same time frame maybe 5 to 8 years ago I was offered a Jeter bat for about $1,500 and stupid me at the time didn't really think it was worth it. But of course thats how the hobby goes. People you expect to become big, dont, and people you dont expect end up big, become stars.
I was also offered a cracked Jeter bat during that same time for $500.

I am sure kicking myself now for passing on those, but at the same time I have never truly been a Jeter fan so I am not that upset either.:cool:

yanks12025
09-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Matt

I think $50,000 plus is alot for a mantle unless its a world series or all-star bat. Most go around the $20,000.

BULBUS
09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with Mat on the Jeter bats, I think he is spot on.

I've noticed lately that Jeter doesn't seem to put as much moto on as he used to, which gives them more of a light use look. You have to see the bat in person to judge actual use.

As far as Steiner negotiating prices, they usually do. It never hurts to ask.

joelsabi
09-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Can some of you also tell me about what I should look for at the bottom of the knob? Does Jeter write his number on there? I've also seen some knobs with engraved dates and some without.

in general,no number on know while in the big league. i have heard it happening but never seen it.

when he was in the minors he wrote "JETER" on the knob of his bats.

matt
09-20-2012, 01:08 PM
To answer the question on choosing a lightly used bat from a milestone season or a heavy-used bat, I personally love heavily-used bats and avoid anything shiny. The whole point for me is to have something that saw as much action as possible and both looks and feels like a part of the game. But thats just me. I know that some folks refinish bats to clean them up (just saw a Ruth bat that was refinished - what a shame). Still I think the value goes up quite a bit with use and the PSA/DNA scale or MEARS scales reflect use well. So with a high-end bat, I do not think shiny holds its value well.

Let me say one more thing to you as a new collector that is hard to accept, but that is true if you think about it....most bats in the hobby from any player were never used in a regular season MLB game. Modern stars get several hundred bats per year. They take thousands of swings with them, but the vast minority are in a game. They are in cages all winter and sprint, BP for another 6 months. Some players have separate BP bats (Arod with the G174 blond bats) and many others do not differentiate. But to me, a heavily-used bat with player traits and matching game style is your best bet short of the MLB holo. Thats also why the MLB holo is so valuable to me. Those bats broke in real games and can be video-matched every time in my experience.

You also asked about Steiner prices and in most cases everything is a negotiation with them and the prices start high. However, I doubt thee is much room to negotiate at the Jeter level. I doubt they get many good bats each year to play with. Regardless of the deal with Steiner, players do what they want with a lot of bats during the year, giving them to friends, attendants and selling them to mercy dealers.

Matt