PDA

View Full Version : MLB authentication of perfect game

coxfan
09-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Occasionally I do a summary of MLB authentication of one game, to give an idea of the ever-changing state of MLB authentication. This is a summary of the 8-15-12 perfect game by Felix Hernandez (Seattle) over Tampa Bay. If I've made errors in my summary (quite possible), please feel free to correct or add.

I found 136 authenticated items from that game in the MLB database, numbered from EK242204 through EK242339. I'll just use the last three digits of each entry in the following:

204-225 and 229 are balls in the usual format: "Pitcher X to batter Y in inning Z". Through the first three innings, they are evenly split between the two pitchers. For some reason from the 4th inning on they're almost all Hernandez's pitches. 212 is a clerical error, as it should read "bottom third" instead of "top third." Ten of these balls were signed by Hernandez on 8-20, with the signing added to the database entry.

256-65 are listed just as pitched by Tampa Bay, without details such as batter or inning. 266-70 are listed as pitched by Hernandez, without batter or inning. There's no explanation of why the authenticator kept track of the team hitting but added nothing else on these balls.

There is some unclear terminology, as 226 and 230 are "lineup card" but 227-8 are "replica lineup card." There are also "official score sheets" for each team, separate from the "batting order cards" that are listed under different numbers.

Documentation of clothing items is sometimes incomplete. The lack of a players' names won't matter for jerseys, but matters for other items such as shoes, in the database. There's an "umpire's cap" listed with no umpire named.

Other things include 9 items of "game-used dirt" with three from home plate and six from the mound. Three bases are listed but without innings.There are nine "game-ready balls" listed as 239-47. Numerous "game tickets" and "series score cards" are listed with no indication of whether they were game-used or by whom. There's a rosin bag, a cleat-cleaner, and a daily workout sheet authenticated.

In all, it looks like some things were done after the perfect game when the authenticator had had little time to prepare for full documentation of this unexpected event.

frikativ54
09-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for this information; it is very interesting. I'd be very curious to see how authentication of the Humber perfect game, also in Seattle, differed.

coxfan
09-16-2012, 08:46 AM
If you can get just one hologram number for a game, you can usually follow the number sequence and get all the authenticated items for that game. The numbers are usually in (mostly) chronological order, so checking the numbers around your item and comparing with the play-by-play from MLB.com's box score will often give you more detail on your item's significance and/or history in that game.

The numbers often continue from home game to home game for the team. For example, the perfect game on 8-15-12 is numbered from EK242204 through EK242339. But the preceding numbers from EK242203 down are from the 8-14 Seattle game and earlier ones, while EK242340 up is from following Seattle home games. Sometimes the number sequence skips a game, maybe because another authenticator happens to work with a different set of stickers that day.

It would be interesting to compare with the other Seattle perfect game, if a hologram number's available to catch the sequence. I suspect the authenticator on 8-15 was caught off guard by the unexpected perfecto, and the resulting need to authenticate a whopping 136 items! Some of the vague, hastily-written, and/or incomplete entries probably were the result of an overwhelmed authenticator who wasn't certain of some of the items.

AWA85
11-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Has anyone had any luck contacting MLB Authenticators about holograms and certain item descriptions? I once had an email for somebody working there 2 years ago but they seem to no longer be with MLB.

The generic MLB one also is bouncing back, so wondering if any of you have any other connections?

Appreciate it!!! AWA85@live.com

jake33
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I starting doing the same thing for all star game used baseballs dating back to 2008 to get an idea of how many exist from the 1-time event. MLB roughly averages 28-42 game used baseballs per year at the all star game.

I actually mentioned this very issue of hologram numbers to Michael Posner head of MLB authentication via email. I requested to see if it would be possible to get non-consecutive numbers in the MLB database. I gave him an example of buying a lesser known players game used jersey while getting access to the database cluster with upper tier players info. If someone wanted to they could make a fake hologram that while under a close look is fake, but appears close to the real deal with info.

Ponser told me that Authenticators, Inc is in charge of doing that and basically they have the full power to do what they want with serial numbers.

I also find it interesting that MLB's official stance is that "We do not appraise or attach values to any memorabilia." Yet, Posner oversees that team that assesses the value and SUGGESTED pricing to MLB teams, who I know for a fact get pricing suggestions from MLB on their game used items. (link -- to where they site this
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/authentication/faq.jsp)