encinorick
10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Can someone explain what the phrase "game used team index bat?"

encinorick
10-22-2006, 10:16 PM
"...means?" sorry

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
It means that a bat was ordered by the team and cannot directly be connected or traced to the player whose name appears on it. This is why records are so important with connecting the actual bat with the player who used it and what makes it hard are that a lot of the records are incomplete. Value for a future sale can be a major difference. For example, I just saw someone pay over $6000.00 for a Roberto Clemente bat and probably thought it was a gamer but it was not a bat he used during his tenure in the major leagues. However, it was autographed and authenticated making it still a valuable collectible to a Clemente baseball collector. As a bat collector, I would much rather have a documented Clemente game used bat for that money than one that is just signed by him but one he never used in the major leagues. Hope I helped a little answering your question. For a more detailed answers--I would recommend you e-mail either Mike Specht or Jim Caravello.

encinorick
10-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks for a great explanation.:D

MSpecht
10-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi--

Here's a link to a blog that covers the subject very well on the Experts Corner.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=178

Also, both Jim and I have written extensively about Team Index bats (although probably not as concisely as Dave just did) in the forums -- the "search" function should easily locate some of the best and more informative posts.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

encinorick
10-23-2006, 11:17 AM
What a terrific article. I highly recommend it to everyone. So far, my interest in sports stuff has not included bats. I never knew that other players and teams could order and use a particular player's bat without his permission. Unless a collector does the research himself or relies on a expert, such as MEARs, he really can't know what he has from just inspecting the bat.