PDA

View Full Version : New Chargers game used dealer

Eric
09-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Hey everyone-
Just wanted to share some info. The new official dealer for Chargers game used items is a company called Rancho Bernardo Sports cards.

They put some jerseys up on ebay. (It seems the prices aren't actually the prices. I made an offer much more in the range of where I have seen them sold and got a reasonable counteroffer)

Here's a link to their ebay store. When the season starts, if you happen to be in SD, they're going to have a table at the games.

http://stores.ebay.com/Rancho-Bernardo-Sports-Cards/_i.html?_fsub=2087339012

Eric

jhunt28
09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
wow...great to see more dealers show up, but I really wish they would put realistic prices on items....

otismalibu
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
When I first saw that, I honestly thought it said "New Charges" and I was making my guess as to which dealer, as I clicked on the thread.

Texans
09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
So do you think some of these could of been used during the preseason? I email them but got no replay back.

Jojo

Texans
09-04-2012, 11:37 AM
So do you think some of these could of been used during the preseason? I email them but got no replay back.

Jojo

I mean reply back. Sorry

Jojo

njboltsfan18
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I dont any of these are preseaon used items because they are Reebok. This preason Nike jerseys were used.

Eric
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
None of these are from this season. Take a look at the year tags. According to the store, the new stuff will come in over the next few weeks

mad87man
09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Pretty cool someone picked it up. I wish i could afford and knew how to get a contract to sell game used.

Texans
09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I meant preseason from a previous year. They look like they dont have much use. In a previous thread I ask if the Chargers sell game worn jersey from preseason game during there auctions and Eric said yes they do. I was interested in Jamaal Williams and found out that he only play one game that year and it wasnt the same jersey. So it had to be used in the preseason. However I think the jersey that have the 50th patch blue jersey were worn in the regular season game because they dont wear this jersey during the preseason. It be nice if the Chargers would put a date they were worn in

Jojo

mad87man
09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I meant preseason from a previous year. They look like they dont have much use. In a previous thread I ask if the Chargers sell game worn jersey from preseason game during there auctions and Eric said yes they do. I was interested in Jamaal Williams and found out that he only play one game that year and it wasnt the same jersey. So it had to be used in the preseason. However I think the jersey that have the 50th patch blue jersey were worn in the regular season game because they dont wear this jersey during the preseason. It be nice if the Chargers would put a date they were worn in

Jojo
they are prob just left over inventory they wanted to get rid of b/c of the Nike switch and were used a few times

Eric
09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Good point about the wear. Makes sure to ask questions before making an offer. I'm guessing that when the season shirts come in you'll see more wear and if they do it right, they will be dated.

I have it from a good source that to get a contract, you pay the team about 100K for a certain number of shirts.

Texans
09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
they are prob just left over inventory they wanted to get rid of b/c of the Nike switch and were used a few times

I spoke to the owner of the shop. You are correct. He said the Chargers steam clean the jersey and put them into storage. I guess my concern was it worn in a regular season or preseason as the Chargers dont different between the two.

Jojo

Eric
09-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Actually I went back and checked my notes. The source from an NFL team told me to be an official game used seller, they were looking for around $150,000 for about 100 jerseys.

jbcindc
09-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Actually I went back and checked my notes. The source from an NFL team told me to be an official game used seller, they were looking for around $150,000 for about 100 jerseys.

Eric,

If what you've been told is accurate, and the cost per-jersey to the seller is $1,500 per jersey, I don't believe there's any way the seller can make enough money off the resale of the game used jerseys to warrant that kind of investment. Of course what the team is "looking for" and what they get may differ. Even if investing $100K for 100 jerseys I think the seller would have a difficult time turning a profit. I'm interested in knowing more about the business model if you have more in your notes. For example, is the $150K/100 jerseys based on a per-year basis or over a couple of seasons? Obviously there would have to be some discussion between the team and game used seller on which players' jerseys are included in the 100. It's interesting to get a glimpse of the seller side.

Jason

legaleagle92481
09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I would think that 150k is insane unless you are talking like Packers, Steelers or Pats. The Chargers only have one player, Rivers who sells near even 3k. You would be lucky to get a grand for most of the other guys.

Eric
09-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Rivers usually has a 4K initial pricetag. Don't forget Antonio Gates. People will pay for Ryan Mathews who is a young star (when healthy).

In past years, LaDainian Tomlinson, Vincent Jackson, Shawne Merriman were top tier guys. If you figure they get 5 of each jersey on a list, you're right it seems tough to make your money back...

Texans
09-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Do you guys think this is a Butler game issued jersey instead of game used? I look up his stats and it said he was out the whole entire year in 2010. Then in 2011 Spikes took his jersey number 51 according to the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Diego-Chargers-Donald-Butler-Game-Worn-Powder-Blue-Home-Jersey-/160876411647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2574fb3aff

jbcindc
09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Do you guys think this is a Butler game issued jersey instead of game used? I look up his stats and it said he was out the whole entire year in 2010. Then in 2011 Spikes took his jersey number 51 according to the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Diego-Chargers-Donald-Butler-Game-Worn-Powder-Blue-Home-Jersey-/160876411647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2574fb3aff

I brought this up with the seller (Sean). There is no way this jersey was worn in the 2010 season. To my knowledge the Chargers don't wear powder blue in the preseason and Butler was on IR for the regular season. I also believe the white Butler jersey was never worn by Butler, but was a Tim Dobbins jersey with the Butler nameplate added after the Dobbins nameplate was removed. You can see the outline of a previous nameplate on the white jersey.

I also know the person who owns the Vincent Brown powder blue jersey that was worn against Denver and Baltimore last season. For this reason I don't believe the V. Brown powder blue jersey for sale by this Sean is game used. These three above-mentioned jerseys, as well as the lack of any apparent game use on the majority of the jerseys offered, I'm highly skeptical of all the jerseys being sold by Sean as game used. While I believe that Sean has a contract with the Chargers and that the jerseys originated from the Chargers (based on a conversation I've had with him), I have doubts about the jerseys he currently has for sale.

Eric
09-20-2012, 02:35 PM
To my knowledge the Chargers don't wear powder blue in the preseason

They do not wear throwbacks until the regular season

scootmagroot
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Does this Sean guy you're talking about have a last name?

I brought this up with the seller (Sean). There is no way this jersey was worn in the 2010 season. To my knowledge the Chargers don't wear powder blue in the preseason and Butler was on IR for the regular season. I also believe the white Butler jersey was never worn by Butler, but was a Tim Dobbins jersey with the Butler nameplate added after the Dobbins nameplate was removed. You can see the outline of a previous nameplate on the white jersey.

I also know the person who owns the Vincent Brown powder blue jersey that was worn against Denver and Baltimore last season. For this reason I don't believe the V. Brown powder blue jersey for sale by this Sean is game used. These three above-mentioned jerseys, as well as the lack of any apparent game use on the majority of the jerseys offered, I'm highly skeptical of all the jerseys being sold by Sean as game used. While I believe that Sean has a contract with the Chargers and that the jerseys originated from the Chargers (based on a conversation I've had with him), I have doubts about the jerseys he currently has for sale.

Texans
09-20-2012, 06:27 PM

When you brought this up was he willing to change the description to game issue?

jbcindc
09-20-2012, 10:04 PM
The full name Sean gave me is Sean McIntosh and he seemed reasonable when speaking with him.

When I brought up the issues with the Butler jerseys on September 1 he told me he would address them with the Chargers staff (Chris Lee and Amy Klutz of Corporate Partnerships) on September 4. If he did bring it up, he never shared what they told him. He seems content to point to his contract that he states he has with the Chargers and that the Chargers provided the jerseys telling him that the jerseys are game worn. For him, that was enough to certify them as game worn. When I last looked, the Chargers did have a banner on their team website that advertised Sean's company.

I looked at all of the jerseys he's selling and I own multiple jerseys of nine of the players whose "game worn" jersey he's selling. In each of the nine cases, the jerseys I own are consistent in cut, customization and wear. Admittedly wear can differ substantially from game to game. Nevertheless, all nine of the jerseys I compared to those Sean's selling showed Sean's jerseys having virtually no use when compared to the ones I own. In the photos alone, his jerseys look pristine and not dry cleaned. Furthermore, in almost every instance the jersey being sold did not match the customizations or cut of the jerseys I own. Specifically, I compared the jerseys of Jammer, English, Sproles, Dielman, Philips, Spikes, Brown, Tolbert and Butler. I also compared jerseys of Scifres and Binn of whom I own one jersey each.

For all these reasons, I'm very skeptical that the jerseys are legitimately game worn Chargers jerseys. As a Chargers collector I'd really like them to be legitimate. I suggested that he bring up all of these issues with the Chargers and request some form of written assurance of the jersey authenticity so that the Chargers share in the product authenticity and liability.

I'm not the Chargers expert that Eric is, and I'm interested in his observations and those of other Chargers collectors.

Eric
09-20-2012, 11:05 PM
The full name Sean gave me is Sean McIntosh and he seemed reasonable when speaking with him.

When I brought up the issues with the Butler jerseys on September 1 he told me he would address them with the Chargers staff (Chris Lee and Amy Klutz of Corporate Partnerships) on September 4. If he did bring it up, he never shared what they told him. He seems content to point to his contract that he states he has with the Chargers and that the Chargers provided the jerseys telling him that the jerseys are game worn. For him, that was enough to certify them as game worn. When I last looked, the Chargers did have a banner on their team website that advertised Sean's company.

I looked at all of the jerseys he's selling and I own multiple jerseys of nine of the players whose "game worn" jersey he's selling. In each of the nine cases, the jerseys I own are consistent in cut, customization and wear. Admittedly wear can differ substantially from game to game. Nevertheless, all nine of the jerseys I compared to those Sean's selling showed Sean's jerseys having virtually no use when compared to the ones I own. In the photos alone, his jerseys look pristine and not dry cleaned. Furthermore, in almost every instance the jersey being sold did not match the customizations or cut of the jerseys I own. Specifically, I compared the jerseys of Jammer, English, Sproles, Dielman, Philips, Spikes, Brown, Tolbert and Butler. I also compared jerseys of Scifres and Binn of whom I own one jersey each.

For all these reasons, I'm very skeptical that the jerseys are legitimately game worn Chargers jerseys. As a Chargers collector I'd really like them to be legitimate. I suggested that he bring up all of these issues with the Chargers and request some form of written assurance of the jersey authenticity so that the Chargers share in the product authenticity and liability.

I'm not the Chargers expert that Eric is, and I'm interested in his observations and those of other Chargers collectors.

Here's a good test- If the Jammer jersey doesn't stink to high heaven, it hasn't been worn.
Years ago I had one that smelled so bad, I had to get rid of it. It stank up my apartment. And I had to warn the buyer how bad it was....

kudu
09-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Here's a good test- If the Jammer jersey doesn't stink to high heaven, it hasn't been worn.
Years ago I had one that smelled so bad, I had to get rid of it. It stank up my apartment. And I had to warn the buyer how bad it was....

LOL. Sounds like that Seinfeld episode.

Eric, do you know if this new Chargers dealer is related to American Icon Autographs? I know they're in RB as well.

tjjmarshall
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
RB Sportscards is not related to American Icon Autographs.

scootmagroot
09-21-2012, 10:53 AM
LOL. Sounds like that Seinfeld episode.

Eric, do you know if this new Chargers dealer is related to American Icon Autographs? I know they're in RB as well.

As tjjmarshall stated, they are not related. Both of us know the American Icon owner very well. Thats why I asked if "Sean" had a last name, because I didn't want there being any confusion between Sean at American Icon and this guy. I've never personally gone to the RB Sports place, but its not far from me, so I can if needed.