PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones final game in San Diego

lakeerie92
08-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I am a big Chipper Jones fan and when he announced his retirement at the end of this year I wanted to do something special. I attended the previous two games, but today being the final game here and a day game I figured it was my best opportunity. I am in the Navy and had an American flag flown from my ship and wanted to present him with it. I know players get items all of the time and I wasn't sure how it would be welcomed.

I got in early and saw Eddie Perez sitting on the wall outside of the dugout. When I got his attention I told him I was in the Navy and wanted to give Chipper a flag that was flown on my ship. He didn't understand at first, but when he did he immediately called Fredi Gonzalez over. Fredi told me he was going to get Chipper to come up and get it. After several minutes Fredi came back out alone and had me jump the rail and come onto the field. He asked me questions about my career and other small talk and then told me to make myself comfortable in the dugout while he pitched BP and I waited for Chipper to come up. That is when I took these.
After 15-20 minutes Chipper came up and introduced himself. It was incredible. I presented him with the flag and told him about it and then we talked for about 10 minutes about family and the future. Some people speculate he might want to come back, but I don't see it. He doesn't even want to coach right away. We finished talking and he went back into the clubhouse and I went back to the stands. It was already a great day that got a little better.

I sat and watched the game and Chipper hit a single. I watched the ball like a hawk to see where it went. Martin Prado ended up fouling the ball off in the next at bat. I asked the guy who caught it if he would trade and he said yes. I offered to buy but all he wanted was a ball for his daughter so I gave him one I had received during the game. So I got to meet Chipper and I got a baseball he hit for single in his final game in San Diego. The same city where he made his Major League Debut.

frikativ54
08-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing. Never been a Chipper fan, but I am impressed by how well he treated you. :)

70to66
08-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Great story, Thanks for your service!

tigerdale
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
What a great story!!!

MichaelofSF
08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
great story! I'm glad you got to experience that

gingi79
08-30-2012, 02:38 PM
2012: Win one for the Chippa!

sox83cubs84
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
That story was refreshing. Nice to see a man of the military and a classy MLB superstar get together so well.

Dave Miedema

lakeerie92
08-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I was honestly surprised by how nice Chipper seemed. I didn't expect that at all. I have heard stories about him and I was nervously hoping he wouldn't be one of those athletes that ruins your perception of him when you meet him in person.

jshortt
08-30-2012, 09:49 PM
That's a great story! Chipper is one of the very few athletes/celebrities I still get nervous around. I've met him several times and he has always been gracious and extremely cool. Glad to hear he treated you in a similar manner.

-Josh

Rob L
08-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I was honestly surprised by how nice Chipper seemed. I didn't expect that at all. I have heard stories about him and I was nervously hoping he wouldn't be one of those athletes that ruins your perception of him when you meet him in person.

Wow. A great story. Kudos to Chipper for being cool and a double to you for your service!!!:)

project 4
08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Nice story. Didn't know there were bad things floating around about Chipper. Remembered when he got drafted, thought he was going to be the next Cal Ripken.