PDA

View Full Version : My Cincinnati Reds / Joey Votto GRAIL!!!!

rchimes13@yahoo.com
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I received in the mail yesterday my HOLY GRAIL of my Cincinnati Reds and in particular Joey Votto collection. It's a 2011 MLB Authenticated, autographed (COA from JSA), perfectly photo-matched to a couple HR's. In fact it was used to hit both HR's #100 and 101 of this career on 6/25/11!!! I've got to thank everyone who purchased items from me to help fund this amazing find and most importantly Tim at Hall of Fame Bats who is one of if not THE BEST in the business at finding amazing pieces of GU memorabilia new homes at a very fair price. Check out his site if you have not yet and get on his mailing list! This bat has a ton of historical significance for my Votto collection, but most importantly a ton of sentimental memories for me in regards to my son...coolest is that the HR was hit at Camden Yards versus the Orioles and my son's name is Camden :) Anyhow, I'm overjoyed and hope you all enjoy the pics!

*Needless to say this bat is not for sale :)

Jags Fan Dan
08-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Very nice score, Ryan! Congrats!:cool: :D

rdeversole
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Ah- you were right. That is an awesome piece. Congrats Ryan!

spartanservitto
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
What an awesome bat, I eventually want to pick up a votto and this is incredible.

-Tony

dplettn
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Incredible, Himes!!! Absolutely incredible.

Its a wonderful thing always to see a great bat go to a great collector. And here, in the midst of such sentimental surroundings. These are the moments that make me proud to be part of this hobby. Just don't let Camden play with the bat :)

You are right. Tim at Hall of Fame Bats (http://www.hofbats.com/) is exemplary among dealers. Tim working with you in knowing what this bat meant to you rather than publicizing it and trying to drive the price to la la land is a testimony that he appreciates its placement and our hobby. Tim also was the source of one of my grail items. To all you collectors who don't know Tim, get in touch with him and let him know what your own grails are.

dplettn
08-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Not that your bat needs additional relevance, but does the bat in this photo look familiar, or what? This AP photograph is attributed to Joey Votto's 600th career hit... on the same day.

Congratulations again, Himes! Can't wait to see your historical bat in person!

rchimes13@yahoo.com
08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Dan, Ryan, Tony, and Dan...thanks so much for kind words! DP thanks for additional info on the 600th career hit, adds a little more mystique to the bat. We will get together soon! Not that it adds too much to the bat, but here is another cool thing about it...Votto signed the bat for Roberto Hernandez to raffle off to help pay for his youth baseball team he coaches, here is that COA as well!

HawaiiSportsNut
08-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Awesome pickup. Hopefuly Joey will start to play soon, luckily the Reds are doing fine without him. But they will need his bat down the stretch.

simmo2332
08-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Ryan,

That is an awesome bat! It's always nice to see fellow Reds collectors get that special item that they are hunting for :)

ncbadges
08-24-2012, 04:59 PM
What a cool bat. Congrats...its always exciting to get a Grail!!:D

ncb

rchimes13@yahoo.com
08-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks again guys...I'm so in awe over having it in hand that I brought it with me to work today without even realizing I was carrying it out of the house! It sat with me in my office all day :)

rchimes13@yahoo.com
09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Just keeps getting better...I just picked up an MLB authenticated Votto helmet from last season and it was authenticated to 7/2/11 (taken out of play following a HR at bat due to the crack on bill) and I was able to photomatch to his 100th HR at bat the week prior to go with my 100th HR bat! Haven't had time to take good pics, but the match was easy with the crack in bill and the white line behind the ear flap....kind of hard to see crack in the Votto pic attached.

rchimes13@yahoo.com
04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Kind of cool...My 100th HR bat and batting helmet are now proudly displayed at the Reds HOF at ballpark along with several more of my items. Much better than storage in my basement I would say :)

dplettn
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Kind of cool...My 100th HR bat and batting helmet are now proudly displayed at the Reds HOF at ballpark along with several more of my items. Much better than storage in my basement I would say :)

+1. And please know that's not a reflection on the basement ;)

HawaiiSportsNut
04-09-2013, 02:46 PM
That is an awesome display... I can't think of a better honor for a game used collector.

rchimes13@yahoo.com
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
That is an awesome display... I can't think of a better honor for a game used collector.

Thank you...I feel the same. I love to share my collection so there's nothing more rewarding than having others enjoy as much as I do

dplettn
04-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Himes:

Are you also lending your '08 Signed Votto BP jersey, or did you have to sell it to fund the '08 Glove or 100th Homer Jersey? It was pretty cool seeing a BP jersey from back to '08 and IMHO your '08 batting practice jersey in the regular database authenticated to the autograph at minimum beats the "Player Authenticated" database jerseys that KLF's been selling.

rchimes13@yahoo.com
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Himes:

Are you also lending your '08 Signed Votto BP jersey, or did you have to sell it to fund the '08 Glove or 100th Homer Jersey? It was pretty cool seeing a BP jersey from back to '08 and IMHO your '08 batting practice jersey in the regular database authenticated to the autograph at minimum beats the "Player Authenticated" database jerseys that KLF's been selling.

Possibly loaning it, but do have a couple guys interested in buying it. If your interested Dan shoot me an email!

rdeversole
04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the pictures Ryan. I'm sure somebody would love to grab that jersey. I'm sure there's a pretty limited supply of these BP/ST old style jerseys around.

solarlottry
04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Does the small card describing the items mention that they are on loan from your collection?

I am planning on loaning parts of my 49er game worn collection to the team for display in the HOF that will open with the new stadium. We have already met about the subject and the team is interested in quite a few pieces. My family and I were invited to 49er HQ last month and had a complete tour of the place which was quite a thrill.

When you loaned your items to the team what kind of arrangements were made with regards to length of loan and with regards to insurance if anything was damaged or stolen.

Thanks for your response.

Always buying 49er game used!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

rchimes13@yahoo.com
04-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Does the small card describing the items mention that they are on loan from your collection?

I am planning on loaning parts of my 49er game worn collection to the team for display in the HOF that will open with the new stadium. We have already met about the subject and the team is interested in quite a few pieces. My family and I were invited to 49er HQ last month and had a complete tour of the place which was quite a thrill.

When you loaned your items to the team what kind of arrangements were made with regards to length of loan and with regards to insurance if anything was damaged or stolen.

Thanks for your response.

Always buying 49er game used!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

The card does not mention my name. The Reds HOF have a simple insurance form where you the loaner describe the item(s) in detail, place your own value to be insured on them, and the length of the loan is at their discretion however you can always remove items...they just ask for 30 days notice if possible. Hope that helps, and GOOD LUCK, sounds awesome!

dplettn
04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
The card does not mention my name. The Reds HOF have a simple insurance form where you the loaner describe the item(s) in detail, place your own value to be insured on them, and the length of the loan is at their discretion however you can always remove items...they just ask for 30 days notice if possible. Hope that helps, and GOOD LUCK, sounds awesome!

Further to Ryan's point, the Reds HOF has put the loaner's name on certain placards for this year's displays. It might be a cultural thing that varies from city to city, but here in Cincinnati loaner names on placard's seem inappropriate to me. I noticed on a few item's this year that the title "MD" accompanied the loaner name.

Perhaps a thing to consider is whether you are compelled to have your name on the placard to feel a healthful pride of sharing wonderful items with other fans. For Reds HOF lenders, the prevailing answer seems to be that personal attention isn't necessary.