PDA

View Full Version : #13 Yankees jersey w/Steiner LOA on ebay

Number13
08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Would just like to know opinions about jersey and item description. Since, unless I win the lottery, I could never purchase a GU A-Rod jersey, finding an affordable #13 Yankees jersey does not come around often and since I am not educated enough to make a judgement or have an opinion on the jersey I could use some help on this. I am only asking because Steiner states that it was game used by Ruben Rivera and has Rivera tagging, but seller states worn most likely by Jim Leyritz.
Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIVERA-LEYRITZ-YANKEES-1996-GAME-USED-JERSEY-STEINER-LOA-/221108343386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337b15925a

BULBUS
08-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Hi Eric,

Thats my jersey. I got it directly from Steiner a few years ago. The jersey is tagged 1996 and has a removed armband (the Yankees wore the armband in 1996 to honor Mel Allen) There is no number change and Jim Leyritz was the only player to wear 13 in 1996. I hope this helps. If you are still interested, email me.

Thanks

joelsabi
08-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Any remnants of a WS patch?

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/72498813-sep-1996-catcher-jim-leyritz-of-the-new-york-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QBSUHsBT7%2buPmI6i48Qj5VQvEl DFjD9s6ClIF95IyOvrHTUuKBZ5zI4GZdms8QZY9w%3d%3d

here a photo of leyritz in 1996.

Just a possible scenario:

Leyritz was traded in Dec 1996 to the Angels. Ruben Rivera was traded April 1997 to the Padres.

So Leyritz is traded and the jersey is returned to the equipment manager. The armband is removed and the equipment manager inventory tag is put on the jersey. Then Rivera request this number and a new player inside tag (using an old Rivera 1996 tag) is put on it. But it is never issued since Rivera
was traded.

Any noticable double sewing holes on the inside player tag?

BULBUS
08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
No world series patch. The threading on both tags and the numbers all seem to match. No JR patch either

suave1477
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
This is a very interesting thread.

As I have noticed and im going to look into more. I have a 1996 Road Jersey worn and tagged by Ruben Sierra.

But the armband is removed.

So I am assuming that the armbands were removed so the Jerseys can be worn in 1997 and possibly so on?

Joe Girardi was #25 in 1997.

Jersey shows pretty good use. Would be interesting if this was a Sierra/Girardi worn Jersey???

larry bourget
08-23-2012, 09:25 PM

As I have noticed and im going to look into more. I have a 1996 Road Jersey worn and tagged by Ruben Sierra.

So I am assuming that the armbands were removed so the Jerseys can be worn in 1997 and possibly so on?

Jersey shows pretty good use. Would be interesting if this was a Sierra/Girardi worn Jersey???

No Names on the back means anything is possible.

LB

joelsabi
08-24-2012, 07:09 AM

sierra wore size 44 and Giraldi a size 48.

At least you know this jersey was worn at least some time after June 16 and no later than July 31st when traded to Tigers

suave1477
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
sierra wore size 44 and Giraldi a size 48.

At least you know this jersey was worn at least some time after June 16 and no later than July 31st when traded to Tigers

What do you mean after June 16th?

I would of thought he played in most of the games previous to July 31st from the start of the season.
According to baseball stats he played in 96 games for the Yankees. That would be hard to play in 96 games in roughly 45 days lol :D

joelsabi
08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
What do you mean after June 16th?

I would of thought he played in most of the games previous to July 31st from the start of the season.
According to baseball stats he played in 96 games for the Yankees. That would be hard to play in 96 games in roughly 45 days lol :D

it would hard to play all 96 games in a road uniform. lol

i just meant that he wore the jersey after the armband was applied which was after June 16th. The road game after June 16th, the first time the road jersey had an armband for Mel Allen. of course, it could have been used before June 16th without the armband if the armband were applied to already used jersey. not sure the logistics that the equipment manager goes thru t0 get the armbands on. anyone know? brand new jerseys or gather up old jersey from a laundry run and applies the patches to it.

if your jersey had no apparent holes from the armband, then you have assume the jersey was used earlier than June 16th.

thanks for letting me clarify.

joelsabi
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
The first road game after June 16th, the first time the road jersey had an armband for Mel Allen, was June 21.

suave1477
08-24-2012, 01:48 PM
it would hard to play all 96 games in a road uniform. lol

i just meant that he wore the jersey after the armband was applied which was after June 16th. The road game after June 16th, the first time the road jersey had an armband for Mel Allen. of course, it could have been used before June 16th without the armband if the armband were applied to already used jersey. not sure the logistics that the equipment manager goes thru t0 get the armbands on. anyone know? brand new jerseys or gather up old jersey from a laundry run and applies the patches to it.

if your jersey had no apparent holes from the armband, then you have assume the jersey was used earlier than June 16th.

thanks for letting me clarify.

Ahhhhh ok I see what your saying. I agree with everything you are saying BUT!!

I would assume and yes I am assuming and willing to go out on a limb and say these Jerseys were used since the begining of the season and arm bands and patches applied later.

The Yankees were up until recently notorious for being cheap and using the same uniforms over and over again. I would highly doubt they would go out and buy all completely new uniforms just to add an armband and patch to it. I dont even know if teams would do that today let alone in the mid 90's. The fact that they pulled off the armbands and patches would lead me to believe they did this so they can get further use out of them. As I mentioned the Jersey shows solid use so maybe its from use before June 16th or maybe its sue to Girardi wearing it the following year. Who knows?

You did mention Girardi worse 2 sizes bigger than Sierra. I am just curious do you know that for a fact. Because they are pretty close in size to a degree. Sierra was taller than Girardi but according to stats Girardi weighed more than Sierra. I personally find that hard to believe but anythings possible, because I have met both of them and Sierra muscle mass wise is huge. His arms were no joke!! I mean talk about Guns lol No Girardi on the other hand was athletic built but never a big muscle type or at least in my opinion.

So I am just curious is it for sure Girardi was 2 sizes bigger? Because I can easily see Giradi fitting into a Sierra jersey?

joelsabi
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Ahhhhh ok I see what your saying. I agree with everything you are saying BUT!!

I would assume and yes I am assuming and willing to go out on a limb and say these Jerseys were used since the begining of the season and arm bands and patches applied later.

The Yankees were up until recently notorious for being cheap and using the same uniforms over and over again. I would highly doubt they would go out and buy all completely new uniforms just to add an armband and patch to it. I dont even know if teams would do that today let alone in the mid 90's. The fact that they pulled off the armbands and patches would lead me to believe they did this so they can get further use out of them. As I mentioned the Jersey shows solid use so maybe its from use before June 16th or maybe its sue to Girardi wearing it the following year. Who knows?

You did mention Girardi worse 2 sizes bigger than Sierra. I am just curious do you know that for a fact. Because they are pretty close in size to a degree. Sierra was taller than Girardi but according to stats Girardi weighed more than Sierra. I personally find that hard to believe but anythings possible, because I have met both of them and Sierra muscle mass wise is huge. His arms were no joke!! I mean talk about Guns lol No Girardi on the other hand was athletic built but never a big muscle type or at least in my opinion.

So I am just curious is it for sure Girardi was 2 sizes bigger? Because I can easily see Giradi fitting into a Sierra jersey?

i googled quickly a game used jersey of Girardi to get the size that sold. jersey size is usually more about preference and fit rather than physical built.

i know the yankees were frugal but is more probable,to me at least, that the equipment manager would change the inside name tag like they did with the Rivera tag before reissuing the jersey to Girardi. I assume there hasn't been another size 44 player who wanted to use #25 since Sierra left.

it would nice to ask the equipment manager at this point.