PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auctions

Klattsy
08-16-2012, 02:54 AM
Hi All,

I was just wondering how people pay for winning bids in Hunt Auctions? I was about to register and then I read in the T&C's that they don't accept Credit Card payments on live auctions (even though they ask for your CC details upon signing up). The internet auctions say "Payment may be made by cash, traveler’s checks, money orders, and personal checks." But doesn't specifically say NO CC.

Do they accept paypal? It says "wire transfer" not sure if that includes paypal...

Mark.

trsent
08-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Hi All,

I was just wondering how people pay for winning bids in Hunt Auctions? I was about to register and then I read in the T&C's that they don't accept Credit Card payments on live auctions (even though they ask for your CC details upon signing up). The internet auctions say "Payment may be made by cash, traveler’s checks, money orders, and personal checks." But doesn't specifically say NO CC.

Do they accept paypal? It says "wire transfer" not sure if that includes paypal...

Mark.

Mark, I'm pretty sure Hunt uses the old auction house policy not to accept credit cards/PayPal for the purpose of not having returns and charge-backs on items that are consignment items that they don't want to get stuck with in a return.

I have bought quite a few items from Hunt over the years, always mailed them a check and have never had any issues. I assume if a problem arises down the road that Hunt's reputation will help them accept a proper return, but I do not know this from experience.

You may wish to ask if they will accept PayPal as a gift, but unless they have changed their policies in the past few years, I'll assume they are a cash and carry auction house.

Personally, if an auction house doesn't accept credit cards they better have a pretty good reputation, such as Hunt's as I like the protection credit card payments offer since there have been a lot of questionable items bought and sold by major auction houses over the years.

dougiedshow
08-16-2012, 07:06 AM
I have them set up as a billpay through online banking. My bank sends them a check. I've never had an issue. The policy is probably in place to save on cc processing fees and prevent charge backs. They have a good track record.

TNTtoys
08-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Mark,

I have always paid them by check.

Find out if they ship internationally first -- if so, you probably can get an international MO payable in US dollars at a local bank. Alternatively you can probably wire the money to them (telegraphic transfer).

Nick

CampWest
08-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I have always paid them by personal check, kind of a pain as it is essentially the only thing I use my checkbook for nowadays. If it is not listed on their "accepted payment forms" list, then they do not accept it.

CampWest
08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I have always paid them by personal check, kind of a pain as it is essentially the only thing I use my checkbook for nowadays. If it is not listed on their "accepted payment forms" list, then they do not accept it.

Wire transfer is direct bank to bank. It does not include paypal, I asked a couple weeks ago.

David
08-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Even when they don't accept credit cards as payment, auction houses often have yoiu register with your credit card as a verification that you're a serious bidder. When there are literally $100,000 lots they want to do their best that bidders are legit.

David
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I should add that until very recently no big auction house accepted credit card or paypal as payment. I bet some others still don't. Good or bad, Hunt does it the old way.

maverick14
08-16-2012, 11:42 AM
To my knowledge the only big auction house that uses credit card is Heritage (may be others but I'm drawing a blank).
They don't allow payments of more than $2500, however, and you can't break up the payment by putting 2500 on the CC and then paying the rest by check.
So as long as your bill is less than $2500 you can rack up the air miles:D

Klattsy
08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks all. I have sent them an email to see what my options are. I'm pretty sure my bank charges something like $20 to write a money order. Plus the conversion. I suppose if I was a big fish bidding on large lots, an extra $20 or so bucks wouldn't bother me. Plus I would then have to post the MO and wait for them to bank it. Crazy. With all the technology...

SSB15
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
I have won many lots from Hunt's over the years. I find them easy to work with and very honorable. I have never had a problem...

Scott

Klattsy
08-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks Scott. No doubting that they will rip me off or anything, just find it strange they wouldn't accept CC. They wrote back saying my options where wire transfer, money order, personal cheque. The payment will obviously have to be made in US funds so i'm going to head to my bank to find out what the cheapest method for me would be.