PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Mets batting practice jerseys on ebay

TNTtoys
08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
All,

Just a heads up for all of you. There is a smattering of blue Mets batting practice jerseys on ebay this week... all are tagged as '99 and contain the numbers of superstar players such as Mike Piazza, Edgardo Alfonzo and Al Leiter. The trouble with these is that they were not worn by any of these players.

The jerseys are minor league jerseys worn by other Mets teams in their organization, such as the St. Lucie Met, the Kingsport Mets and the Pittsfield Mets.

Major league jerseys of this era (including both BP jerseys and spring training jerseys) would ALL have names on the backs; these do not. Major league jerseys also were not manufactured by AIS (they were done by Majestic). Finally, the Major League jerseys would not have flag patches.

I have written to the sellers and politely explained to them that what they have is not what they appear to be.

Nick

slab0meat
08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up, as always.

mook03005
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
thanks nick..i have seen that American flag patch alot lately on some auctions...was the flag used only in 2001 for MLB?

sox83cubs84
08-28-2012, 05:47 PM
thanks nick..i have seen that American flag patch alot lately on some auctions...was the flag used only in 2001 for MLB?

For that time period, that's it as far as uniforms go. The US flag continued to appear of 4th of July/9-11-Memorial Day caps until 2008, and, further back in 1990, Cincinnati and Oakland wore flag patches on their jerseys and BPs during the World Series, for Operation Desert Storm.

Also, you may find a few teams with pre-1990 game jerseys bearing the patch or an outline of it. A few teams (the Angels come to mind) sent late 1980s MLB gamers down to farm clubs, and the patch was added there in 1991).

Dave Miedema

mook03005
08-28-2012, 07:24 PM
thanks dave