PDA

View Full Version : Got an ALL STAR GU baseball signed and inscribed

jake33
08-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Just got back from Minnesota where I was fortunate enough to win a charity contest to win on field BP passes for Twins vs Rays on 8.10.12 I ended up meeting up with a fellow forum member, which is always great to talk "game used" with someone who knows what it is and "gets it."

Being age 31, this still was a massive thrill for me. The contest allowed me +3 others to go on field for BP and a meet and greet with Manager Maddon. Let me first say, the Minnesota Twins gameday staff was awesome. We had no real restrictions for where we could have gone on the field, I didn't venture into going into the dugout though, as I felt it would have been a little odd. However, I don't feel I would have been stopped by security. I probably could have ran laps in the outfield and security still probably wouldn't have done anything. The only thing they roped off what the area by the batting cage itself, which was a pretty small area.

Anyways from the experience, I had no idea what to expect for player access or time on the field. Player access was amazing! I was pretty much able to get autographs of every player except for pitchers who stand in the outfield shagging BP.

I know from experience, Evan Longoria signs at every single road game. However, it is systematic. He will sign really fast for a minute or two right before or after the national anthem. Obviously, there will be a huge crowd and the auto's are a little sloppy as expected. He won't sign outside the stadium, not at the team hotel or if you see him in public. Other than that, it is $75 per auto he charges at signings I have heard. Anyways, Longo signed a few things for me, my girlfriend and the 2 other guests I was with. With how hard it is to get a good Longoria auto, that alone was worth the experience. He gets bombarded every town in this country, so he approach on signing autographs, is certainly justifiable.

Anyways, the 2 things I wanted to really get signed was a JP Howell game used 08 world series baseball and Matt Joyce's game used baseball that is authenticated to his 9th inning 2011 pinch hit single. I pre-printed the authentication number off MLB.com, so in case I saw matt, I could ask for an inscription. After Matt was done with BP, he stopped and was going to sign. I told him about the ball, he checked the hologram and saw the printout and smiled that I had the baseball. So with no one else bothering Matt, he signed the ball perfectly and with the inscription. About as good as an autograph I could have asked for. Matt then signed a jersey card my girlfriend gave him and gave me a pair a batting gloves (unsolicited and signed those as well). I said, "Thanks Matt, I promise you won't see these on ebay." He laughed and trotted to the clubhouse as BP was ending. Matt must have gotten good karma, because he hit a 1st inning homerun, the a 2-run double later in the game, and another homerun Saturday.

Now as for Maddon, I always was a fan of him since his second season with Tampa. In his first year, I still missed Lou Piniella, but by the end of his first season in Tampa in 2006, I could see what he was trying to do with the team and could really appreciate the guy for being so positive and sticking with his guns in the face of another 100 lose season. Joe was everything you see of him in interviews. Exactly the same guy, really an active mind and a sharpe mind and great demeanor. I brought up an obscure pitchers from the 1996 that went to my high school, who only pitched in 4-5 career games. Joe recalled him immediately and referred to him by his nickname and even recalled how he pitched and other details. Joe gave me and the 3 people I as with about 10 minutes of chit chat right in the middle of BP. Managers have a lot of gameday obligations and time to give people. It was really nice how much time he gave us in that moment.

We left off the field around 5-10 minutes before the first pitch and was just an awesome experience all around. Also didn't hurt that the Rays scored the most runs they have with 12 in the game as well. Great job by the Rays and Twins PR staffs, the Rays players, and Maddon.

jake33
08-13-2012, 10:01 AM
gloves

tigerdale
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
sounds like an awesome time Jake!!!!

frikativ54
08-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Cool story.