PDA

View Full Version : How unusual is this?

Tunis
08-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Went to see the Nationals play the Astros earlier this week. During the pre-game batting practice, the Nationals were using Shea Stadium commemorative balls from 2008? These were brand new balls. My son got a ball flipped up to him in the stands by one of the coaches who were shagging balls. It only had a slight grass stain on the sweet spot with no other marks. Alot of balls were thrown to fans, and as we were comparing, alot of them were Shea balls. Is this a regular kind of occurence?

ironmanfan
08-12-2012, 08:23 AM
not real unusual......

flota89
08-12-2012, 09:31 AM
This actually happens a lot. A few weeks ago, the Cardinals were using Dodgers baseballs during BP. I've also caught baseballs from different years.

coxfan
08-13-2012, 06:16 AM
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that home teams sometimes had arrangements to provide some BP balls to visiting teams, ( on a reciprocity understanding), to save so many from having to be brought. Although they should be returned, probably some aren't and may be carried home by the visitors. If some of those loaned balls are commemoratives, they may thus wind up in strange places.

I suspect BP balls come from many sources.Years ago I noticed a visiting minor-league team assign a pitcher whose job was to nab as many foul balls as he could, obviously to add to their BP supply. And minor-league clubs get some used balls from their major-league affiliate.

sox83cubs84
08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
This has been going on sporadically for over a decade. In 2001 I got a 2000 ASG ball in BP at Comerica Park and a 2000 WS baseball at Comiskey Park.

Oops, forgot one: 1998 Devil Rays Inaugural Season baseball at 2001 Wrigley Field. The Comiskey Park ball was from the White Sox, the 2000 ASG ball from the Cubs, and the Rays ball from San Francisco.

Dave Miedema

70to66
08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I saw the Angels using some 2006 all star game balls for spring training practice in 2008.