PDA

View Full Version : Make a Quality 30-ball Display Frame for About $40

esquiresports
07-26-2012, 04:36 PM
In case you are interested in a framed display for baseballs, here's a long-winded summary of what I did. Different tastes for different people. I am not a fan of ball cubes. At all. I wanted a way to display a few baseball collections I have, but didn't really care for what I saw on the market for one reason or another. Price was one factor. $200+ for a 30-ball display seemed a bit pricey.

So I took a baseball down to Aaron Brothers, along with a ruler and tape measure. I found some "Keepsake" frames that they sell that looked like they could work - barely. One great feature is they have a magnetic closing mechanism on the front, keeping everything easily accessible. Upon measuring, I realized that they had shapes that would work great for 10, 16 and 30 ball displays.

Using the buy one/get one deal they always offer, I picked up the frame for $30 I believe (after the discount).

Here are the details for anyone looking to replicate the 30-ball display. Skip to photos if not your thing.

Needed items:
Saw
Drill
1" boring bit or something that can cut 1" holes (I used a 1" speed bore)
1 sheet of 45"x24"x0.2" MDF (or wood if you prefer), and preferably a couple clamps, glue. $5 at HD or Lowes
1 can of flat black spray paint.

Construction Steps:
1. Remove pinnable backing (tan-wrapped board) from the black back board using your hands, butter knife, or similar. I used my hands, but be careful not to damage the backing board with the mounting hardware. Remove the glue residue from the backing bard (it peels off).

2. Measure the backing board and cut a piece of MDF the same size.

3. Cut six 17 1/4" x 2 7/8" pieces for shelving. 3" wide and your frame will not close. 2 5/8" wide and your baseballs will not sit in the holes. You really need to be accurate here.

4. Measure the exact center of a shelf left to right and mark it. Measure front to back and mark it. Then move out 3 1/4" and repeat twice. This gives you five marks, which must be perfectly centered. Use a screw or nail or similar to indent a starting point for your drill.

5. Clamp wood shelves together and use 1" boring bit to cut holes into the shelves. This ensures the balls will line up top to bottom when displayed

6. Spray paint all wood, including backing board. Wait for it to dry.

7. Rest frame over backing board you cut to make sure it fits.

8. Lay in shelves, using something the width on an iphone at the base (I used my iPhone), then use ball cubes to space the remaining shelves.

9. If alignment looks good, bead glue on each shelf and apply to backing you cut. Use Q-tips to clean up any glue that spills out. Let dry overnight with ball cubes in place.

10. Repaint if necessary.

11. Glue original backing to the backing you cut, using a bead of blue around the perimeter and in an X style inside. This allows you to make use of their mounting hardware. Be certain to place the mounting hardware at the top of the frame!

12. Once dry, you can tape the backing to the frame. I did with black masking tape from Aaron Brothers, but it's not really necessary. Just a safety precaution.

13. Ready to hang! Enjoy your creation and saving a couple hundred dollars!

Getting the measurements right is key!
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/Frame-Shelves.jpg

Setting up the shelves
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/Frame-Setup.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/Frame-Open.jpghttp://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/Frame-Final.jpg

AstrosGU
07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Very nice job! The case looks great. My only concern would be if the glass is UV resistant.

esquiresports
07-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks. The glass is not UV resistant, but I found it was cheaper to have all my upstairs windows have a UV film applied (which also keeps heat down) than to UV my individual items.

There is UV light that comes from light bulbs, but my understanding is that it is significantly less than natural sunlight.