PDA

View Full Version : World Baseball Classic 2013

godwulf
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Phoenix is a first-round WBC site!

WOO HOO!!! :D

kellsox
07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
A useless tournament- was hoping that they would get rid of it.

sox83cubs84
07-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Preach it, brother!

Dave Miedema

Klattsy
07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I like it because its a chance to see the Aussie team in action. With no Olympics participation its the WBC and World Cup and that's about it.

trsent
07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Israel 2013!

EurekaDave
07-26-2012, 12:06 AM
What about the Cuban Players? How could we ever seen them....?

ethanoah
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm also hoping for a team Israel 2013.

Ethan

OaklandAsFan
07-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm indifferent to the games being played but like Godwulf, happy its here in Phx! I get first crack at tickets being a season ticket holder!

gingi79
07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm also hoping for a team Israel 2013.

Ethan

+1. Untapped resource of athletic talent IMO

godwulf
07-29-2012, 11:47 AM

I am absolutely baffled by this attitude. Baseball is never a waste of time, and - at least to me - is always more enjoyable to watch than any other sport, being played at any other level. Sorry, but this just reminds me so much of the general snobbishness of the people who don't believe that any real Baseball has been played since (fill in the date, 1947, 1961, 1993, whatever) or that any modern Baseball memorabilia is worth collecting. If someone doesn't want to watch it - fine. I've never sat and watched an entire basketball game in my 58 years of life, but I don't "hope" that no one ever gets to watch it again because I don't appreciate it.

EurekaDave
07-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Jeff,
I think what we are seeing here is a little geographical envy. You could never play an outdoor baseball game in the Northeast in February or March because your tongue would stick to the flagpole.

My life doesn't revolve around the Red Sox and Yankees either but I don't complain that by coincidence, they are always the Sunday night game of the week and always four hours long.

I'm buying WBC tickets no matter what the cost because baseball is hecka fun. And I hope the players in the finals have names unpronouncable.

Hasta la vista.

godwulf
07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Maybe we're a bit spoiled here in Arizona. We can go watch Baseball being played, at some level, literally any month of the year. Anyway, I will be getting my WBC tickets the minute they're available. I went to all the USA-Canada-Mexico matchups in '06, and had a wonderful time. That USA-Mexico game, played at Chase Field (then Bank One Ballpark) was one of the most fun games I've ever been to - the crowd was roughly half for one side and half for the other, and the good-natured teasing and boasting went on in two languages for the entire game. Lots of guys painted up in the colors of one flag or the other, or wrapped in one - it was just great.

OaklandAsFan
07-30-2012, 12:35 AM
went to a team USA vs Mexico at Chase and a Mexico vs South Africa game at Scottsdale and they were both a blast. I've got a GU ball from the South Africa game.

I'll definitely be getting tix to as many games as I can.

suave1477
08-12-2012, 07:25 PM
There are 2 sides to this argument

I agree with it being somewhat useless - From the American Major League Players point of view. 1) This is there time off, they should be able to have there time off and rest. Remember these guys only get like one day off once every week sometimes 2 weeks. That takes a lot of wear on there body and mentally. 2) Most of them are not in peak condition because it is during there time off. 3) Could risk of being injured prematurely before there actual MLB Season starts

To the fans who do enjoy watching it - I agree you get to see first hand players from countries that you may have not seen before and thats pretty cool. You get to collect many unique items

For the baseball fans yes we love baseball and watching it year round and we can see many different players but we cant be greedy and ask human beings to push there bodies passed what there supposed to do for just our entertainment. And may you may take the stance well there making millions its the least they can do. Your right but then when they break down, get hurt, wear out prematurely during the season of regular major league baseball then they are not worth millions and we would all complain even more how over paid the players are.

I would say at least for the American players - they should let the best of the best of the college players play for Team USA

I myself got to watch first hand a really cool exibihtion games between Yankees vs. Team USA & Yankees vs. Team Canada - Both very cool and enjoyed them very much but I do understand both sides of the argument.

From your friend

Devils Advocate!!

godwulf
08-12-2012, 11:04 PM
For the baseball fans yes we love baseball and watching it year round and we can see many different players but we cant be greedy and ask human beings to push there bodies passed what there supposed to do for just our entertainment.

What are you talking about? We do it all the time! :rolleyes:

Seriously, many foregn-born players, even major stars, have gone South to play Winter League ball after nearly every Major League season - and that's been going on for many, many years. Just like Winter ball, participation in the WBC is voluntary; unlike Winter ball, it's only a tournament, not a whole season of play, and it only comes around once every four years.

suave1477
08-13-2012, 09:01 AM
What are you talking about? We do it all the time! :rolleyes:

Seriously, many foregn-born players, even major stars, have gone South to play Winter League ball after nearly every Major League season - and that's been going on for many, many years. Just like Winter ball, participation in the WBC is voluntary; unlike Winter ball, it's only a tournament, not a whole season of play, and it only comes around once every four years.

Yes I agree it is similar to Winter League ball, but the mlb players of today do not frequent that league as much as they used too years and years ago. Many did ti as a supplemental income years ago. With salaries today for baseball they way they are not as many of them need to do it or want to do it. Yes I do know there are still quite a bit of players who do, do it. But usually its not the major stars. Usually its the prospects trying to hone in on there skills or the couple year in major league players trying to get better or keep there skills up to par.

Your not gonna find For Example - Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Derek Jeter, playing winter league at this point. But these are the guys who will be in the WBC.

yanks12025
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
But the WBC goes on the same time as spring training, so they arnt getting days off taken away.

suave1477
08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
But the WBC goes on the same time as spring training, so they arnt getting days off taken away.

I just checked the schedules and seems you are correct. That part of the argument I heard from a ball player so I was more just relaying the comment. I am not sure then what he meant by that. But of course I would assume in WBC the main players stay in the game most of the time am I correct? While in Spring Training the main players usually play the first few innings and then get pulled out to let the other players show off there skills.

godwulf
08-14-2012, 12:39 PM
But these are the guys who will be in the WBC.

Sure, if they choose to play and their teams let them go.