PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Baseball Experience I Had

GameUsedGR61
07-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but I wanted to share this story....

My occupation is a librarian for a local library in the state of New Jersey. If anyone here is familiar with libraries, especially now, there are more people visiting them than ever due to the economy, job assistance...etc. One of the things that usually happens at my library was that people would consistently drop off and donate books to the library. They are usually residents within the town and often we get people from the county. Because we get so many books, we have a volunteer and a library worker who sorts them and decides which will be added to our collection.

One of the things that I do like is I am always meeting people and often get to talk to them in great deal. One day I actually met a man who played for the New York Rovers (senior ice hockey team that began in 1935 which was the NY Rangers farm team) and actually knew and played with Rangers great, Eddie Giacomin. He would ask me to locate past articles from the New York Times that talked about his team and the actual scores of certain games he played in. I thought that this was cool in itself but the story below was just great

Well one day I was working with the volunteer, who was an older gentleman in his mid 70's and he asked me if I liked baseball. Of course I said yes and if anyone knows me well, I am a pretty big Yankees fan. Then he asked me if I knew who Jerry Dior was and of course I had no clue what he was talking about. The volunteer began to told me that one day a young man came to the library to donate books and began talking to the volunteer. Not sure how it came up, but apparently the young man was the nephew of Jerry Dior. The young man told the volunteer that Jerry Dior was the person who created the MLB logo. When I heard this, I was amazed but at the same time wasnt sure how true it was because the volunteer tends to go on long tangents that sometimes doesnt make sense. He was telling me that Jerry Dior worked for a company and was presented with the task of creating a new logo for Major League Baseball. Many people drew their designs and Jerry Dior's design was the one that MLB wanted to use. Unfortunately, I was told that Jerry Dior didnt see none of the money or profit because any ideas or creations were legally owned by the company he was working for :( Furthermore, I was told that the MLB logo design was also the basis for the creation of the NBA logo as well

So the volunteer asked me if I wanted his autograph and I thought sure that would be an interesting piece. As always I really had nothing to sign so I printed on computer paper an image of the MLB logo and asked if Jerry Dior can sign it and personalize it to me. The volunteer said that his nephew comes often to drop books off and that he would ask if Jerry Dior could sign it for me. What I didnt know was that the MLB logo creator, Jerry Dior, actually lives in my hometown and I never knew it:D

Here is the autograph below

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/GABER47/dior.jpg

Here is an article about the man who created the MLB logo

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122453063968851133.html

coxfan
07-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Interesting story! For every person who gets recognition in life, there are hundreds who play important and sometimes crucial roles but receive no recognition (and often no money either.) Since logos, designs, etc. help to date items historically, preserving info on their origins can be useful.