PDA

View Full Version : eBay

cohibasmoker
07-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Had an interesting situation happen to me on eBay. Bought an item from a Seller who, on their auction page, listed their location as the United States. When I paid for the item, I found the Seller was actually in Thailand.

I got the item and it was crap so I contacted the Seller and requested to send the item back and get a refund. Initially, the Seller responded with nasty emails so, knowing eBay's return policy, I immediately opened a case against the Seller. After the case was opened, the Seller changed the tone of his emails and agreed to refund my money. I was provided an return address via eBay and asked for confirmation on the address from the Seller. Since the Seller confirmed the eBay address, I sent the item back.

While at the Post Office, as proof that I shipped the item to the correct and/or provided address, I took a scan of it and sent it away. As expected, 10 days later, I was contacted by the Seller who told me I sent the item to the wrong address and the Seller now wanted me to go to the Post Office and give them updated information as to where the item should be shipped. I then called eBay.

While on the phone with eBay (GWEN), I gave her a short synopsis of the situation. I waited about 10 minutes while she researched the eBay messages, the auction page and confirmed with the USPS website the item was in fact returned. When GWEN got back on the phone, she told me that eBay will close my case and they will refund my money. Gwen went on to explain that because the Seller, gave an incorrect address on the auction page, (Seller stated his location was the USA when in fact it was Thailand) and since the Seller's personal information was incorrect, the Seller violated a major eBay policy which demands that all contact information is always updated and/or correct.

In closing, I got my money back, not because the Seller refunded it but because eBay stepped in and made the decision. ALWAYS RETURN and/or SHIP ITEMS ONLY TO THE ADDRESS PROVIDED BY eBAY.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

trsent
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Jim glad it worked out. You opened a case so eBay gave you an address? The problem is when you ask to return an item, usually the seller gives you an address through the eBay messaging system which I assume eBay will accept as eBay asks you to try to work with the seller before opening a case.

In your situation, the seller was out of line and I hope you left proper feedback to alert other buyers of their false advertising.

What is a joke is that you had to pay for international shipping, which there is no way I would have paid because I would have exepected the item to be returned domestically and I would have called eBay before sending anything out of the country.

Or did eBay give you a domestic address to return the item?

cohibasmoker
07-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Jim glad it worked out. You opened a case so eBay gave you an address? The problem is when you ask to return an item, usually the seller gives you an address through the eBay messaging system which I assume eBay will accept as eBay asks you to try to work with the seller before opening a case.

In your situation, the seller was out of line and I hope you left proper feedback to alert other buyers of their false advertising.

What is a joke is that you had to pay for international shipping, which there is no way I would have paid because I would have exepected the item to be returned domestically and I would have called eBay before sending anything out of the country.

Or did eBay give you a domestic address to return the item?

After the Seller's 2nd email, it seemed to me that the Seller wasn't going to be very helpful so I filed a claim with eBay. After filing the complaint, I emailed the Seller and told him that I wanted to return the item and to please provide a return address.

After a day or so, the Seller responded, through the resolution center, advising me to return the item. After the agreement by the Seller, eBay automatically provided the Seller's address (Thailand) and eBay advised me that I had to ship the item back by a certain date. After I got the address from eBay, I emailed the Seller and asked that he confirm the address eBay gave me. The Seller confirmed the address and I sent the item back to the Seller.

As for the shipping, I didn't have a choice so I sent the item back. I felt it was better to lose postage rather than keep the item and lose far and away more money.

In closing, eBay was on this for me. When the eBay representative read the case and saw the Seller provided incorrect contact information, she escalated the case for me and saw to it I got my original purchase price and shipping back. Where is the item? Who knows - somewhere in Thailand but it seems to me, the Seller will figure out a way to retrieve it.

Jim

trsent
07-22-2012, 02:30 AM
After the Seller's 2nd email, it seemed to me that the Seller wasn't going to be very helpful so I filed a claim with eBay. After filing the complaint, I emailed the Seller and told him that I wanted to return the item and to please provide a return address.

After a day or so, the Seller responded, through the resolution center, advising me to return the item. After the agreement by the Seller, eBay automatically provided the Seller's address (Thailand) and eBay advised me that I had to ship the item back by a certain date. After I got the address from eBay, I emailed the Seller and asked that he confirm the address eBay gave me. The Seller confirmed the address and I sent the item back to the Seller.

As for the shipping, I didn't have a choice so I sent the item back. I felt it was better to lose postage rather than keep the item and lose far and away more money.

In closing, eBay was on this for me. When the eBay representative read the case and saw the Seller provided incorrect contact information, she escalated the case for me and saw to it I got my original purchase price and shipping back. Where is the item? Who knows - somewhere in Thailand but it seems to me, the Seller will figure out a way to retrieve it.

Jim

Jim, happy ending, but my concern is you bought an item advertised as from the USA - eBay or the seller should have to pay return shipping to an international address. I would have stressed this when I called eBay as you did nothing wrong and why should you have to pay so much extra to return an item.

Anyone reading this - If this ever happens to you - Dispute with eBay why you have to pay more than USA shipping for an item. I bet they will help. I have had eBay issue a call tag for a return in the USA in the past - They must have a policy on this because you buy an item stated shipping from the USA - You should not be forced to pay a miniumn of $22.09 (USPS Priority Mail Internation to Canada) to return the item internationally with full tracking.

cohibasmoker
07-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Jim, happy ending, but my concern is you bought an item advertised as from the USA - eBay or the seller should have to pay return shipping to an international address. I would have stressed this when I called eBay as you did nothing wrong and why should you have to pay so much extra to return an item.

Anyone reading this - If this ever happens to you - Dispute with eBay why you have to pay more than USA shipping for an item. I bet they will help. I have had eBay issue a call tag for a return in the USA in the past - They must have a policy on this because you buy an item stated shipping from the USA - You should not be forced to pay a miniumn of $22.09 (USPS Priority Mail Internation to Canada) to return the item internationally with full tracking.

Interesting points but my main focus was getting my purchase price and original shipping back. It cost me $78.60 to ship it back and that price is far and away less than what I paid.

An interesting twist to the episode is the Seller is emailing me demanding that I go to the USPS and give them his updated info - I have emailed the Seller back and told him that I will do that - after he refunds me my return postage. No refund, no help on my end. I have also reminded the Seller he is in this predicament because he failed to give eBay correct information and it is hid fault his item is lost somewhere in Thailand - not mine.

Thanx,

Jim

short84
07-22-2012, 09:27 AM
I have had 2 situations where the shipping cost to return an item was picked up by eBay. Both situations occurred where the seller refused to pay to have the item returned (after I filed a case against them and won) and when I asked eBay for assistance they provided the shipping label (their cost) to return the item. One was an obvious case of fraud and the second was an item that did not match the description. Both were items purchased from sellers in the US.

cohibasmoker
07-23-2012, 06:11 AM
I have had 2 situations where the shipping cost to return an item was picked up by eBay. Both situations occurred where the seller refused to pay to have the item returned (after I filed a case against them and won) and when I asked eBay for assistance they provided the shipping label (their cost) to return the item. One was an obvious case of fraud and the second was an item that did not match the description. Both were items purchased from sellers in the US.

I too have had a situation where eBay picked up the shipping. In that case, the Seller just didn't respond to any emails and/or messages in the resolution center. eBay stepped in and paid for the return postage. The item was delivered to the Seller and eBay closed the case for me and refunded my money.

Jim

trsent
07-24-2012, 04:53 AM
I wonder what the eBay policy is on issuing US related return shipping labels. Once they have offered this to me, but no other times.

jppopma
07-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Joel, I think that its one of those things that Ebay doesn't offer to do...but they will often cave and send the prepaid label if you push the issue high enough. JP