PDA

View Full Version : Bat Use/Condition Terminology

godwulf
07-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, it's true - I just started this thread to make the "I'm so sick of hearing about bats all the time" people crazy. :rolleyes:

No, seriously, I wonder whether there is a standard and pretty much universally accepted way of describing the use and damage inflicted on gamers. When I began collecting them, about thirteen years ago, I started keeping a list or inventory describing the condition of each, and I was mostly just making up the terms as I went. I've since adjusted the way I describe certain things, as the result of my interactions with other collectors and the sellers I deal with.

Some things are pretty obvious - a handle crack, for instance...what else would you call it? But it took me a long time to figure out what people meant when they said "deadwood". When a bat looks at though someone tried to split the barrel end with a hatchet, I call that a "barrel end crack" - is that what you would call it? Then there's this:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2d934b3127ccef0caf881547400000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I used to call this "veneer cracking" (and I honestly don't remember whether I heard someone else call it that, or if I just made it up), but lately I've been calling it "surface cracking", because I think I've heard others refer to it that way. Any other names for what this is?

I've also heard guys refer to an "inside-out handle crack". Is that where the cracked portion can't be pushed (or glued) down very easily because it's overlapping the piece of bat handle that it needs to be under?

r_phelps
07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
I have heard it called deadwood and flaking by players on the field the most when they are discribing that happening to their bat. Or "loosing it's pop".