PDA

View Full Version : Collection Decision

bat_master
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting a thread to get opinions from the members of the forum for a "problem" I'm currently having with my collection. While I'm not sure I would necessarily call it a problem I'm also not sure what to call it. Right now my collection consists of 18 (Hall Of Fame only) game used bats ranging in age from the 1921-31 H&B period (coming soon) to a 1994 Rawlings.

After recently handling a 1920s sidewritten bat I realized that I really enjoy the look and vintage appeal of the older bats as newer bats and more recent HOF inductees are just plain easier to get in most cases.

My thought was that by selling 7 or 8 of my newer bats and keeping 10-11 bats that are all pre-1980 I would be able to raise funds for older bats.

The bats to sell would be: George Brett 1983-84 LS T85, Dave Winfield 1980-82 LS W273, Steve Carlton 1980-82 (1983) Adirondack 154A, Gary Carter 1983-84 LS C243, Wade Boggs 1990-97 (1994) Rawlings 460B, Robin Yount 1990 LS P72, Eddie Murray 1983-84 LS R161, and Kirby Puckett 1986-89 LS C243.

The keeper bats would be: Rod Carew 1977-79 H&B C243, Ralph Kiner 1950-55 H&B G69L, Reggie Jackson 1971-79 Adirondack 288RJ, Johnny Bench 1973-75 H&B B278, Willie Mays 1971-72 Adirondack M63, Joe Morgan 1973-75 H&B S44, Orlando Cepeda 1961-63 Adirondack 114B, Enos Slaughter 1950-60 H&B M110, Carl Yastrzemski 1965-68 H&B W215, and Willie McCovey 1977-79 H&B S2.

I would hope to be able to raise around $6000 by selling those eight bats. As replacements for those that I sell I would hope to purchase at least a couple of bats of players like Joe Cronin, George Kelly, Paul Waner, Bucky Harris, or Edd Roush, etc, etc.

My question to the forum is:

My goal is to have a collection of bats with hall of famers only. Would it generally be a good idea to sell off newer HOFers and replace them with older HOFers? Is older better? More rare? Or is a HOF bat a HOF bat?

Thanks for the read. Please post any responses here or email me directly at t_byington@yahoo.com

Tim Byington

nate
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Personally I like the mystique and nostalgia of having an old bat. However I didn't grow up in the 30's. Most of the older bats I would enjoy holding are out of my $$$ range...(foxx, ruth, williams). True, the older bats are more difficult to come by, but finding a recent HOF bat with heavy use and matching characteristics is perfect for me. All I recommend is don't be hasty. Sell a few bats that you don't care about as much and purchase an old bat.

Good luck,

Nate

suave1477
10-17-2006, 01:58 AM
I would definitely say of all that bats you would be willing to part with at least keep the George Brett, I don't know but something about the Pine Tar incident just screams to me you have to have a George Brett bat in your collection.

As far as the others I would possibly see how you would do, 1 at a time with letting go your least favorite to in turn purchase another older bat you might really like.

Also as far as value, i would say logically the older the bat the mor valuable as it becomes more arer to find it but then again it depends on the demand of the collectors.

bat_master
10-17-2006, 08:12 AM
I would definitely say of all that bats you would be willing to part with at least keep the George Brett, I don't know but something about the Pine Tar incident just screams to me you have to have a George Brett bat in your collection.

As far as the others I would possibly see how you would do, 1 at a time with letting go your least favorite to in turn purchase another older bat you might really like.

Also as far as value, i would say logically the older the bat the mor valuable as it becomes more arer to find it but then again it depends on the demand of the collectors.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying in that each HOF collection should have a George Brett bat. I agree 100%.

However, at what point do you think finding a George Brett game used bat will become more difficult than finding an Al Simmons gamer? I'm not sure that will ever happen.

By selling the Brett to help pay for an Al Simmons or similar player of that era I should then be able to find another George Brett bat down the road much easier than it would be to find another Al Simmons. That's why I would never sell off an Enos Slaughter to buy a George Kell, but I might sell a Wade Boggs, Steve Carlton, and Robin Yount to help buy a George Sisler.

Keep the votes coming guys and gals!

Thanks

Tim

JimCaravello
10-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Tim - You should collect what you are comfortable with, but my vote is sell anything post 80 - unless its just absolutely incredible. In my own HOF collection, I do not have any post 80 HOF bats except Brett, Boggs and Winfield. The only reason I have Boggs and Winfield is because I followed their careers with the Yankees. My Brett is an unbelievable piece of lumber - and even though its post 80 - he's one of those guys that people like to collect and great pieces will only go up in value. There is a big difference between a Brett with medium use and one that has been hammered and is covered with pine tar.

I am not saying that collecting post 80 HOF bats is a bad thing - quite the contrary - It just seems that 1980 is the breakpoint expecially with the label change with Louisville Slugger and most people prefer the older pre-80 label. There are also more post 80 bats available in the market - more promotional bats were made for star players - its just tougher and tougher to find nice pre-80 bats and the values will only increase on those pieces.

You bought your Slaughter bat from me and its hammered - how many of those bats are out there like that? Not very many.........Selling that bat to continue buying "steroid" pieces just doesn't make any sense........

I am working on the 500 HR club - All my bats are post 80 and as much as I like Griffey, Jr. and I believe he is clean - he still played in a tainted era that will never change. By the way, have I mentioned that Roger Maris still holds the single season HR record?!?!?!

Also - collect what you want and what you are comfortable with - one of the main reasons I collect pre-80 bats is because those are the guys I grew up with - Aaron, Clemente, McCovey, Mays, Kaline, etc......I also have several post 80 Mattingly bats in my collection, because I just flat out loved the guy when he played........The Mattingly stuff doesn't really match the rest of my collection - but I just love collecting his GU stuff......

I'd sell Yount, Puck, Winnie, etc. and buy a pre - 80 Stud bat all day long!!!!

Just my humble opinion..........Jim

earlywynnfan
10-17-2006, 09:51 AM
i agree with the theme of older is nicer than newer, and i also feel your pain on the costs (i really can't afford to go drop 6 grand on a bat with my young children looking over my shoulder, let alone the nagging wife.)

BUT

I disagree slightly about the idea of pre-80 bats being inherently nicer in appearance. i personally think that vintage bats can be beautiful, and i love the way they display. But i also think that the 80-83 large label period was also very impressive. I've talked to several collectors, and we all think that LV seemed to have used much more visually attractive billets or whatever for bats in that era. I have an Al Oliver bat from then that has the best markings anywhere, with excellent wood grain. In fact, when people see my collection, that's one they usually grab first. (i'll try to post pics later.)

would i love to have all pre-war bats, be they HOF or otherwise? sure! but since i can't, i go for what looks cool to me. I have some older bats that are buried in my room, and i have some newer that i display proudly. (I also have a "fan" of bats on the floor showing all the different labels, which i find attractive.)

Ken

sylbry
10-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Tim,

I thought I would give you my two tests for selling part of my collection. I have been liquidating most of my vintage baseball card collection to focus on game used items. When determining whether I want to sell a card I ask myself:

1) how readily replaceable is it?

and

2) would I rebuy it at the price I believe I can sell it for?

Hope this helps,

Bryan

bat_master
10-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks to everyone that has replied with their thoughts and votes. I decided that I would much rather have some vintage bats in my collection as most of those I would be selling are easily replaceable and aren't extremely expensive.

As a result, I've decided to sell off the following bats:

1. 1980-83 Louisville Slugger Dave Winfield W273
2. 1983-85 Louisville Slugger George Brett T85
3. 1983-85 Louisville Slugger Gary Carter C243
4. 1986-89 Louisville Slugger Kirby Puckett C243
5. 1990 Louisville Slugger Robin Yount P72
6. 1980-83 (1983) Rawlings Steve Carlton 154A (auto'd)
7. 1990-97 (1994) Rawlings Wade Boggs 460B

Information is available by emailing me at t_byington@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Tim Byington

scottanservitz
10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Ty,
I think you had your mind made up before this thread and your decision is what is best for you. In my mind I think a collector can't go wrong with any HOF bat, period. These are the players from all generations that will always be held in the minds of the fans as the best to ever play the game. I would love to have pre 80 HOF bats. It just doesn't fit my wallet. Even when I buy lesser valued bats that are $500 or $1500, many of my friends think I am crazy!! I buy because I enjoy them and love showing them to my friends. Guys like Brett and Yount and Winfield are guys I watched growing up. I vaguely remember the tail ends of Mays, McCovey and that group, but I still know that they were some of the greatest to ever step on the field. That's the great thing about our hobby, we get to choose who and what we collect and don't have to answer to anyone, (except maybe our wives). So in closing, good luck in your endeavor and keep us all posted with pics when you do find those beautiful bats!!!
Scott