PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion

slab0meat
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Since there's a lot of threads that come up about stadium game used stores, and team contacts... How about making a dedicated forum for that stuff, where any new info regarding a team just just be added to an existing thread, and less clutter in the "Game Used Memorabilia Discussion" forum?

MLB~NUT
07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
All in favor, I....:)

slab0meat
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
That "I" is echoing loudly, as no one else cares...

swainer
07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Great idea!

HawaiiSportsNut
07-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Cool idea... I am in favor of it.

sox83cubs84
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm good with it, also.

Dave Miedema

Number13
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Great idea!

Skizzick
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--G-dga_4TUw/TqCPRYrd9tI/AAAAAAAAA6k/d6f6UIHi15U/s1600/Good%252520Idea.jpg

slab0meat
07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Bump... any mods want to chime in?

metsbats
07-08-2012, 07:39 PM
If you are suggesting a dedicated thread for this info, I 'm in favor of it.

It'll consolidate the info into a single thread so everyone can easily find all this good info in one place.

We'll have to run it by Chris and if he agrees we can possibly set it up.

-David

LandRunSports
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Agreed. Please create a thread for game-used bats and baseballs too. If I see one more bat I'm gonna puke. Thanks!

Number13
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Agreed. Please create a thread for game-used bats and baseballs too. If I see one more bat I'm gonna puke. Thanks!

I'm more of a jersey guy myself, but to be fair to the people who collect bats and baseballs, there might be some of them that think the same about jerseys. I have never have seen a comment about jerseys in the same fashion you are talking about bats and balls, but that does not mean the bat & ball people don't think it.

Not everyone can like everything on here. There are so many different niches in this hobby. Everyone has their own thing. If there is something on here that I don't want to see or don't have interest in, I just scroll by it. I'm not into football GU, but I don't sit there and complain about seeing the stuff.

If the moderators had to separate every single little niche in the hobby, this site would not be as user friendly with a million different topics. The people that on on here and contribute on a relatively regular basis, don't have much of a problem with things they are not interested in. I'm sure they do the same thing I do and just pass them by.

I am in this hobby as a person who likes to keep history alive through GU items. I have my fav teams and teams that I hate, but all in all they all add up to our past and I think that it is important to hang on to all things, whether we like or dislike them.

And to be honest, as far as an historical aspect, just as an example, I would rather have the ball that was hit for Hank Aaron's record breaking career home run mark, and the bat that hit it, than the jersey that he wore that day. Because the bat and the ball were the reason the record was broken, not necessarily the jersey. I'm not trying to make an argument over that, was just using as example of how things we might not like have more of importance than the items we collect or like.

Have your opinion, but there is a much better way to voice it than the way you did. It's not your general opinion that I disagree with, just the words used.

Sorry, I got off topic but the bat and ball people have had this opinion thrown out there this way before and it would be nice to see people have a more respectful way of stating a negative opinion sometimes. That's all.

metsbats
07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Creating a separate thread for each type of game used item ( bat, jersey, ball) would be overkill. This specific request to consolidate team info and game used contacts is more of a candidate for this type of merging into a single thread.

We are still process of getting feedback from the other moderators and Chris.

David

Number13
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Creating a separate thread for each type of game used item ( bat, jersey, ball) would be overkill. This specific request to consolidate team info and game used contacts is more of a candidate for this type of merging into a single thread.

David

Exactly!

Sorry if I made it sound like I'd want threads for each and every type. Not what I meant.

coxfan
07-09-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm so completely in agreement with Number 13's thoughts that I won't add to them. A separate forum for game-used contacts is fine if ok with the moderators. But too many separate forums, etc., for other things would detract.

Many areas overlap. For example, months ago someone showed the bat used by Berkman late in game 2 of the 2010 ALCS at Texas. By remarkable coincidence, I'd bought the ball used in that at-bat! A separate forum might have caused such interesting overlaps to be overlooked.

If there's anywhere that people should be tolerant of others' hobbies, it's this gameuseduniverse site. I mainly do game-used balls, because of space and cost. If I got into jerseys, my wife of 42 years and I would have to buy another condo for space, and would ultimately have less money to leave behind to help our grandkids in their futures. But I respect that other collectors have other personal priorities that are their own choice.

slab0meat
07-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Glad to hear the opinions, it'd be nice to have it consolidated. Sounds like it's not possible since threads will be merged (or however it was called), but a simple thread title for each was what I had in mind...

Something like "MLB - Cardinals" or "MLB Cardinals Contact Info", or whatever (I use the MLB because of an example like the Cards, in more than one sport).. Some contact info threads posted now say "team store" or are asking a question "DBacks contact?" or whatever.

Anyway, I appreciate the time. Thanks.

joelsabi
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Seriously, this information is better from a spreadsheet which could be updated with the best information. I would hate to fumble around through all the posts each time we are tracking down info. I could probably get a master list up with the information already on the forum sometime next week time permitted and then could get input as to the accuracy of what I have accumulated. Then we can fill in the blanks where necessary. I can then uploaded to a dedicated thread as an attachment for every member to use and members to give updated information. updates will be listed and then updated periodically to the master.

We did this for Yankees armbands and patches. Why not one for game used contacts.

metsbats
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Seriously, this information is better from a spreadsheet which could be updated with the best information. I would hate to fumble around through all the posts each time we are tracking down info. I could probably get a master list up with the information already on the forum sometime next week time permitted and then could get input as to the accuracy of what I have accumulated. Then we can fill in the blanks where necessary. I can then uploaded to a dedicated thread as an attachment for every member to use and members to give updated information. updates will be listed and then updated periodically to the master.

We did this for Yankees armbands and patches. Why not one for game used contacts.

That would be a good start Joel. The creation of a separate section for MLB Team GU contact and info would allow members to provide feedback and interact in the threads regarding each team. Would the membership want that ability or just a list of contacts posted?

slab0meat
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Finding a thread of a team shouldn't be THAT difficult with a dedicated forum. It will also allow people to post experiences or just general info they've found out, or if certain people will work with you on a price, anything.

MLB~NUT
07-09-2012, 04:06 PM
We need this, lets do it, cmon guys

sox83cubs84
07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
It looks as if GUU has reached a solution. I just checked the "Exceptionally Educational Threads" heading and saw numerous recent posts on team website/stores listed there. I can live with that.

Dave Miedema

slab0meat
07-10-2012, 07:43 AM
It looks as if GUU has reached a solution. I just checked the "Exceptionally Educational Threads" heading and saw numerous recent posts on team website/stores listed there. I can live with that.

Dave Miedema

One would think so, maybe... BUT... the fact that most threads there were last from 2011, people in THIS thread didn't even know they were there, and people keep posting/asking about GU contacts in the Game Used Memorabilia Discussion thread makes that Educational thread seem unknown/unused..

metsbats
07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes for now i've moved all the team contact /info threads to the "expectionally educational threads". This can be in interim solution until we can create some sort of new forum for this. As moderators we don't have the ability to create new forums and can only move threads around. We can ask Chris for permission to do something more long term.

This is good first step as all team contact/info threads will at least be consolidated and easier to find the EET forum.

David

metsbats
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
The other alternative (since we don't have access to add new sections) was to create a single thread in EET called "MLB TEAM CONTACT/INFO" and post all team contact info discussions into that single thread. While it gives us the one stop shopping it forces you to search the thread for specific team/info and discussions which may be quite painful.

The current solution at least will give each team it's own thread and we can only at most have 30 threads (at least until the next expansion).

As we expand to other sports it will get crazier.

For this reason the suggestion to make a new forum (ie MLB team contact/discussions, NFL team contacts/discussions, etc) may be better.

David