PDA

View Full Version : Former Dolphins Exec Eddie Jones dies at 74

trsent
06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Long-time Miami Dolphins executive Eddie Jones has died, the club announced on Wednesday He was 74.

Jones came to the Dolphins organization in 1988 and spent 18 years with the organization until his retirement in 2005. Jones served as the club's president for 10 years from 1996 until his retirement.

He originally joined the Dolphins as Vice President of Administration and Finance before being named as Executive Vice President and General Manager in 1990.

Condolences and praises poured in from current and former Dolphins owners and legendary coach Don Shula.

"I lost a dear friend with the passing of Eddie Jones. He truly exemplified what it meant to be a gentleman. He certainly could be a competitor, as I found out across a conference table when I was negotiating to buy the Dolphins, and later on the golf course during our many rounds together," former Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga said. "But what set him apart was his kindness and warmth - you couldn't help but have a great time whenever you were around him. It didn't matter who you were - he treated everyone with respect. He was one of the most outgoing people I've ever known and that optimism lifted up everyone around him. I certainly will appreciate Eddie's invaluable contributions to the Dolphins' legacy, but what I will remember most is his friendship and his positive impact on so many people."

Shula added in a statement, "“I really appreciate all Eddie did for me and the Dolphins during the time we were together. I can't say enough about his support of the football team. I’ve always felt teamwork in all phases of the operation was the key to building a winning team, and Eddie Jones was the consummate team player. He would drop by my office almost every day and ask how things were going. He wanted to do everything that he could do to help us win and that's all you can ask of a front office executive. I want to pass along my condolences to Marilyn and his family."